Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chino Remember Tour with Pantera

Started by RoyalDeftonicBoy, May 16, 2010, 04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Chino: "Man, I've got a lot of memories from that tour that I can't tell because they would just indict too many people [Laughs]. Honestly, that was probably one of the wildest and most fun tours. We were very lucky to do that tour because I feel like that those were some of the days of the way the road probably used to be before the new era of touring began — which I guess isn't as debauchery-ridden as it used to be [Laughs]. It was great to feel like we had a part in some of the final days of that. Those were wild times. There was a lot of gambling. A really good story involved Stephen [Carpenter, DEFTONES guitarist] and Dimebag Darrell [PANTERA guitarist]. At that point of the tour, about a few weeks in, Dimebag was down a few grand, and Stephen was just coming in and cleaning house. It's funny because we were like the poorest band out there. 'Adrenaline' had just come out and we didn't have any money. After the show was over, PANTERA would host these huge dice games in their dressing room. They'd have free-for-all Taco Bell, 'Blacktooth Grins' and beers. The guys from WHITE ZOMBIE and PANTERA would be there gambling, and they were going big money. We'd come in with five or ten dollars here and there. Basically, in the middle of the tour, Stephen was up a few G's which was straight loot for us at that time. I could tell Dimebag wanted his money back [Laughs]. I told Steph to tell Dimebag that they'd go for one roll to get all of his money back or Stephen gets Dimebag's Washburn 'Stars and Bars' guitar. At that time, Stephen probably wouldn't have even played it but he could've put in his guitar boat. Just to have it would've been sick! We thought it'd be a good one to have. Dimebag went for it and Stephen lost, so Dimebag got all of his money back [Laughs]. There's no big story to tell, other than it could've been a great tale if we had that guitar but Stephen had to go lose. Like I said, that was one of the most fun tours I've ever done in my whole life. Phil [Anselmo, PANTERA frontman] kind of took me under his wing. He basically showed me the ropes of touring in a lot of ways. It was really neat. All of those guys were really good to us."

What movies scare Chino and what was his favorite memory from the legendary "War of the Gargantuas" Tour when Deftones shared the stage with Pantera and White Zombie. Here's what he had to say...

What's your favorite memory from the Pantera and White Zombie, "War of the Gargantuas" Tour in 1996?

"Man, I've got a lot of memories from that tour that I can't tell because they would just indict too many people [Laughs]. Honestly, that was probably one of the wildest and most fun tours.  We were very lucky to do that tour because I feel like that those were some of the days of the way the road probably used to be before the new era of touring began—which I guess isn't as debauchery-ridden as it used to be [Laughs]. It was great to feel like we had a part in some of the final days of that. Those were wild times. There was a lot of gambling. A really good story involved Stephen and Dimebag Darrell. At that point of the tour, about a few weeks in, Dimebag was down a few grand, and Stephen was just coming in and cleaning house. It's funny because we were like the poorest band out there. Adrenaline had just come out and we didn't have any money. After the show was over, Pantera would host these huge dice games in their dressing room. They'd have free-for-all Taco Bell, "Blacktooth Grins" and beers.  The guys from White Zombie and Pantera would be there gambling, and they were going big money. We'd come in with five or ten dollars here and there. Basically, in the middle of the tour, Stephen was up a few G's which was straight loot for us at that time. I could tell Dimebag wanted his money back [Laughs]. I told Steph to tell Dimebag that they'd go for one roll to get all of his money back or Stephen gets Dimebag's Washburn "Stars and Bars" guitar. At that time, Stephen probably wouldn't have even played it but he could've put in his guitar boat. Just to have it would've been sick! We thought it'd be a good one to have. Dimebag went for it and Stephen lost, so Dimebag got all of his money back [Laughs]. There's no big story to tell, other than it could've been a great tale if we had that guitar but Stephen had to go lose. Like I said, that was one of the most fun tours I've ever done in my whole life. Phil kind of took me under his wing. He basically showed me the ropes of touring in a lot of ways. It was really neat. All of those guys were really good to us."

What are your favorite horror movies?

Halloween

"That's got to be one! It's straight scary because this kind of shit can happen. Some lunatic could do this. Obviously, it has hints of Satanism in it, which I'm always intrigued by. It seemed real. The way it's filmed is incredible. There are so many times that you're looking at the character and you're looking in the background, and you see Michael Myers looking through the window or something along those lines. That scared me as a kid! I'd be in the shower washing my hair, and we had a window in our shower. I'd be hurrying to finish washing my hair because I thought when I opened my eyes I'd see Michael Myers face in the window [Laughs]. That movie always scared me! This was the main film that creeped me out when I was younger."

Nightmare on Elm Street

"Any movie that makes the viewer afraid of going to sleep is great! Usually when you go to sleep, you can escape shit. Feeling like you can't even escape in bed—that claustrophobic feeling—was definitely unsettling and scary as a kid when I saw the original Nightmare on Elm Street. It excites me to see the new one. I can't say because I haven't seen it yet, but the new Nightmare on Elm Street looks like it gets deeper into the story. They tell the tale of how Freddy Krueger became Freddy Krueger. They show all of that stuff which looks really cool. It looks like it's going to be interesting, which hopefully it is!"

The Exorcist

"This will always be scary. Dealing with the devil head-on—that's a pretty strong film!"

SAW

"I liked the first Saw. Chi and I went and saw Saw II together. I kind of started losing interest in the series after awhile, but the first film was great."

Se7en

"It's another great movie! It's not necessarily that "scary," but what goes on could happen. Anytime a movie is about something that could happen, there's more reality there and it can hit you heavy."

Some Creepy New Flicks...

The Strangers

"Something about that dude with the hood was really creepy! Anytime dudes have hoods over their heads, that shit is scary to me [Laughs]. It reminds me of an executioner. I always get a little freaked out. There are a couple parts of that movie that are really creepy."

Drag Me To Hell

"It wasn't a great movie, per say, but there were a couple parts I screamed. It was a bit silly, but there were moments were I jumped and I haven't done that in a movie in awhile—like when that fucking old creepy lady pops up in the back seat."

deftoolsys07

Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

Hidalgo

i agree about "the strangers", it was really creepy, and well done

stoneFeD

haha drag me to hell was kind of stupid . an army of  darkness feel but it did have some startling moments i will agree..that gypsy old lady was always  popping out of nowhere

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on May 16, 2010, 05:30 AM
good read, where this from?

Is from www.bloody-disgusting.com but I decided to post it here so you guys dont have to go to another webpage ;)

AroundThePonyDK

Awesome post.I`m a big horror fan myself,and love all of these flicks , except Drag me to hell.It was kinda lame...

m00r5tuD

Good read.  The Pro Shot vids from this tour are awesome.  The one of Minus Blindfold made me fall in love with the song.  Chi - "You guys ready for White Zombie and Pantera, or what?"  Crowd - "YEAHHH!".  Then Chino - alright one more time just for me but you gotta be louder - "Who's ready for Deftones!" crowd - *Bigger YEAAHH* .   Chino - "Hahaaaaa I foooooled you!".

snw9

there a whole interview video somewhere on youtube. thats where it came from
Code: [Select]

charissa

Quote from: juvenile on Aug 16, 2010, 03:23 PM
there a whole interview video somewhere on youtube. thats where it came from

Anyone have links to this and to the Minus Blindfold Pro Shot one mentioned above? I tried searching for it, but didn't find it.

Thanks!

Jizzlobber

awsome little story there..

I remember reading back in the day..Vinnie and Phil became big fans of Deftones during the "alternative" era...

its cool that they all got along well and liked each other : ): ) very cool!
<