Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Grand Rapids review(s)

Started by hagbombtest, May 22, 2010, 07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hagbombtest

I would appreciate the setlist if anyone has one.

Incredible show. The energy in there was very intense. Band was tighter than a crab's ass. They are back and very hard: seemed like they had alot of pent-up energy.

The sound - not so good. Is anyone in agreement that you could barely hear Steph? At one point the guitar level went WAY up and it was obvious the soundman had Steph's guitar very low.  Don't give up your day job.

Song choice was strange: correct me if I am wrong, but ZERO songs from SNW? Wow.

The new stuff sounded fantastic. "You've Seen The Butcher" is afreakinmazing live. Opened with "Rocket Skates" and I thought they were gonna shoot their wad on the first song. They tried a few of the new slower numbers like "Beauty School" and they were far more intense than on the album.

It's beside the point to say this anymore, but Abe is the greatest drummer alive. He could drive a hole through a steel door with those sticks.

Chino was wearing a Detroit Tigers hat someone tossed him for quite a while. Kind of cool when Sergio had on a Yankees hat. They were looking at each other when Chino first put it on like, "what???"

The opening band was the worst band of all time. You can't expect people to like you if you (a) suck, and (b) talk crap about the crowd in between songs. Not a good idea. The singer needs to go back to Hot Topic and get some new "vintage" tshirts.

This was my 8th time seeing Deftones since way back, and to be honest, it was the best show yet. Every single song was phenomenal. If you get a chance to see them in a small club on this warmup tour, do it.

Out.

tonynot

I thought it was a pretty good show too, we pretty much completely ignored the opening band as they didn't sound very good in any shape or form.

I also thought it was weird they didn't do anything from SNW, and because I'm a dweeb I broke it down by album:

Adrenaline - 3
Around The Fur - 4
White Pony - 6
Deftones - 2
Saturday Night Wrist - 0
Diamond Eyes - 7

Even though they didn't play anything from SNW, I have no complaints whatsoever with the setlist or the show and this is the tenth time I have seen them. I do have some complaints about the venue though, the sound was kind of bad even though the layout was pretty good. 

Also for you setlist nerds out there:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deftones/2010/orbit-room-grand-rapids-mi-3d4cd23.html

Leviathan

I was there.  Though I've been a deftones fan for awhile, this was *embarrassingly* my first deftones concert.  I brought my little 16 year old cousin with me- it was his first concert ever, and he fucking loved it.

I thought the set was great, but the sound coulda been better.  In particular I remember barely being able to hear most of Knife Prty; it seemed to improve as the concert went on tho.  I was really impressed with the new stuff live, CMND/CTRL stood out to me.  I still liked Diamond Eyes before this, but wasn't ready to anoint it as one of their best albums until this concert.  I really can't compare it to anything else.

Opening with the two new singles was great, and then Passenger was the perfect end to the 4 in a row White Pony bender.  They saved the best for last though.  The end stretch from Be Quiet And Drive til Change was ridiculous.  Around The Fur was epic live.  Hell, everything was.  and then you couldnt ask for a better ending than 7 words.  I'll definitely be heading to DTE in September to see them with Mastodon and Alice In Chains.

shakeitangel

Sound issues aside, I've been going to see them since '96 and this show blew me away. It reminded me of the old days where they went apeshit on stage and the crowd returned it. Never saw Chino smile so much at a show before. I wasn't too disappointed that they played nothing off of SNW because we got most of Diamond Eyes. Chino's vocals are SO on that it's crazy. This show is easily in my top 5.

Leviathan

I guess I chose a good one to go to!
The energy in that place was insane, and how could it not be, they were rockin it.

Penicks

You dudes filmed any footage? :)

BLUMPKIN

This was the 6th Deftones show i've seen and it was definitely the best.  There was a bit of a sound issue.  Sergio's bass seemed to drown out Stef early on, and at first I could barely understand a word Chino was saying in between songs, but it seemed to be all worked out by passenger.  I've been to dozens of shows at the orbit room (4 Deftones shows) and I'm positive that the sound problems were technical issues and not the fault of poor acoustics (unless you're under the balcony by the back bar, the sound is shit back there).   

I was also kind of hoping they would switch up the setlist a bit, considering they had a break of over a week in between London and Grand Rapids...but that's just me acting like a spoiled bitch.  They have so much material now that I can't expect to get to hear everything I want these days.  The setlist was a really good mixture that would have satisfied a fan from any Deftones era.  22 songs and 2 hours is impressive as hell.  But I am still a little pissed that when Chino asked what everyone wanted to hear, most people screamed for MOS and overpowered my dai the flu chant.  Dumbasses, they would've played MOS anyways.   

Rocket Skates and Diamond eyes was a great way to open the show.  Perfect amount of time to finish my beer and smoke down until the pit erupts for feiticeira.  The block of white pony stuff sounded really good, and passenger is tighter than ever.  All the Diamond Eyes stuff sounds amazing live.  I wasn't a big fan of CMD/CTRL at first, but it is one HELL of a live track. The highlight of the show was definitely the run of ATF songs, and I think the energy of the band and the crowd peaked at Lotion, which is the main reason for the dozens of bruises covering me today.  I've got my fingers crossed that some decent video will emerge of Lotion, because at one point I looked up at the stage, and I swear to god, Chino circa 1997 was up there. 

This was one of those concerts where you leave knowing the band delivered a show that was reflective of the energy of the crowd.  I feel fortunate as shit that I got to see them showcase this new stuff in a headlining club environment.  I'll probably hit blackdiamondskye anyways, but to me Deftones best suited for moderately sized clubs rather than massive outdoor amphitheaters.

rocky743

^^thats funny I was front & center in front of the bar directly behind the soundboard (under the balcony) and I thought the sound was good.  But I've only seen 2 other shows at the orbit room so I trust your judgement.  At any rate, I thought the sound was par.  I've seen them at the Fillmore Detroit (formerly the State) and nothing beats the sound there imo.

I enjoyed the show very much.  It felt a bit rushed to me with the strict 11pm curfew (on a Friday night wtf?).  I mean they belted out a full setlist in about 1 hour 45mins.  They could have shortened it and took their time, but that just shows they want to give all they can for the fans.

As much as love deftones, I'm not sure if I will see them at DTE in Sept because watching them headline a small venue spoils me.  I'd rather remember this show than a half show in a large venue that leaves me wanting more.  But I do like AIC.........we shall see.