Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

R.I.P Paul Gray

Started by Vesanic, May 25, 2010, 12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilinside

Quote from: White Pwny on May 25, 2010, 11:04 PM
I'm not crying....   it's sadness that music that I have been listening to.... is over now...  they will be done. 

Quite similar to what I'm sure some NON Deftones fans were saying when this happened to Chi...  Ohhh boo hoo.. some shitty musician is in a coma... blah blah...  when quite the contrary... he was NOT a shitty musician... and he happened to be a great human being.   

^5

Variable

Variable

So question then.  Seeing as how I have never really paid enough attention to stuff like this.  It seems like this guy was probably THE big creative force behind slipknot.  Does cory write all of his own lyrics?  Or do other members of the band do it too and he just sings them? 

Bergerac

Well, Scissors was my favourite of their songs, and the breakdown at the end I consider to be the heaviest thing done in metal yet. It's not necessarily the loudest, or the fastest, but it's the heaviest because it has the angriest atmosphere of anything. Anyway, getting back to the point, I believe Joey Jordison, the central drummer, wrote the lyrics to Scissors, so I don't imagine Corey does everything. I also believe Shawn Crahan (Clown) was a lyrical contributor. Though those three were the absolute founding members, through all incarnations, weren't they? Paul Joey and Shawn? They're the three originals. I imagine they were a large part of the driving force behind the band. So I believe it'd be even harder to come back from that then if the 9 were a bit more democratically creative, and all original members.

Paul's contributions were often some of my favourite parts. Surfacing isn't a favourite, but I always loved the bass break. The intro to Scissors, the long outro to IOWA. I too stopped with IOWA, I bought Vol. 3 but didn't like it at all, went in a wrong direction as far as I was concerned, but I listened to these guys a lot during college, and in fact Scissors came on Shuffle on my iPod today on my way back from work. As per usual, I rewound the breakdown at the end 3 times to keep listening to it.

Also I believe the point of the picture with Paul is that the 'Hope' in 'All Hope Is Gone' is obscurbed. It basically says 'All Is Gone'.

RIP dude.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

defskull

That was absolutely sad.  They obviously loved him with all their hearts.  Even though they seem to be all tough and bad ass on stage, they're still very real people.  What a terrible time for them.

Jacob

that was heartbreaking.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Variable

I'm not trying to be an ass.  But I thought it was a little cheezy

Vesanic

Quote from: Variable on May 26, 2010, 04:04 PM

Dude, their best friend is dead, everybody gets " cheezy " when that happens.

Jacob

is it just me, or did his wife seem like the most calm of them all?

but yeah, like Vesanic said - anyone is entitled to be "cheesy" in a situation like that. it was their best friend, husband, soon to be father and, as they pointed out, the driving force behind the band and the glue that held them together.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

fireflyry

Quote from: White Pwny on May 25, 2010, 11:04 PM
I'm not crying....   it's sadness that music that I have been listening to.... is over now...  they will be done. 

Quite similar to what I'm sure some NON Deftones fans were saying when this happened to Chi...  Ohhh boo hoo.. some shitty musician is in a coma... blah blah...  when quite the contrary... he was NOT a shitty musician... and he happened to be a great human being.   

Nice post.

It's all about perspective and taking the Slipknot hate out of the equation.

I met a 17 year old the other day who commented on my Deftones cap, said he loved the band, and that Slipknot was the first band that got him into harder music.He moved on from that and had been searching out new harder rock, found the Deftones, and was now checking out as much metal as he could.

Don't be a hater purely because you dislike the music.There's a bit more to it than that imo.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Vesanic

Quote from: Jacob on May 26, 2010, 04:54 PM

I noticed that too.

Variable

Quote from: Vesanic on May 26, 2010, 04:50 PM
Quote from: Variable on May 26, 2010, 04:04 PM

Dude, their best friend is dead, everybody gets " cheezy " when that happens.
Quote from: Jacob on May 26, 2010, 04:54 PM

but yeah, like Vesanic said - anyone is entitled to be "cheesy" in a situation like that. it was their best friend, husband, soon to be father and, as they pointed out, the driving force behind the band and the glue that held them together.
I don't know.  Sometimes silence is best in situations like this.  As some of the members of the band showed.  I just thought it was a little cliche and almost self indulgent at points.
lets just put it this way.  My friends already have instructions on what to do if I wake up dead.  And they know I would be pissed the fuck off if they acted like that.   

Vesanic

Quote from: Variable on May 26, 2010, 05:17 PM
And they know I would be pissed the fuck off if they acted like that.   

Huh, I don't know, you would be probably more like... dead.

Variable

I was being ironic.  I said "wake up dead" too.  Thats obviously not possible either.

But see, this is why you talk about these things before hand.  So that they know what would have pissed you off, and they don't do it.  Especially not on national television

fireflyry

It's kind of different if you have a few million fans expecting a response or media reaction.

After all we wouldn't even be discussing the issue if he wasn't in a band.

Variable

Who says I don't have a few million fans?

fireflyry

lol

Nice to see your still a cocky prick bro.

Respect.