Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My Deftones Love Affair

Started by pack_your_heart, May 26, 2010, 06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pack_your_heart

The first time I ever heard The Deftones, I was 16.  I had never heard of them or heard any of their music.  I was in a friend of a friend's car and Lotion came blaring through the speakers and I was in heaven. I instantly yelled to the driver "Who the f... is this!?" I had to know, this was the music of the Gods!  He gave me the Around The Fur c.d and I  went home that night and recorded it onto a tape (yes, a tape). I listened to that cd over, and over, and over before I realized that was their second album.  I was so excited to listen to Adrenaline, the roots.  Bands first albums are always the best, in my opinion, raw, unfiltered emotion, it's amazing.  I listened, and just like beofre, I listened over, and over and over.  I couldn't wait for the next album!  I made AOL screen names about the songs I heard, I made my own Deftones banners and drawings for my room, I told everyone I knew about my new found love.

The more I listened, to the first two albums, I fell deeper and deeper into the lyrics.  You could sit for hours listening to the same song, interpreting five hundred different ways.  Lyrical geniuses.....  I used to get onto the deftonesworld site and read all the different ways people heard the songs, it was baffling to see how each and every person percieved the song a different way, how everyone took it and made it their own.  The epitomy of music.  Everyone's true love.

Then, out came White Pony, a whole new Deftones experience.  Electronic, slow, deep, chilling, exciting.....  I could use every adjective possible.  I remember the first lyrics I heard "F... i'm drunk" I laughed, of course Chino would make something that millions of people say everyday sounds so incredibly awesome.  I became addicted, yet again, to the lyrics, and the sound, and as usual, the music they all make together. I found myself enveloped in my headphones, as if nothing else existed but me and that song.  It was pure serenity.  I had never been so into any music, in my life.

When the self-titled album came out I was deperately in need of some new Deftones, it couldn't have come at a more perfect time.  I once again, grasped that music with everything I had and I didn't let go, I returned to the deftonesworld to read the inspirations of other listeners and was pleased to see, again, so many different variations and thoughts about the words.  How they spoke to everyone differently, I was excited that people were still so into them, and it seemed moreso now than ever before.

B-Sides and Rarities.....  Loved it! Demos, covers, acoustics..... Man!  I LOVE when bands do acoustics, it's like listening to them in person, it's like that first album, raw and full of emotion.  Who could resist?  The Chaffeur, Simple Man,  No Ordinary Love, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep.....  Brilliant!  Who would've thought, a band like this, could ever take a Sade song and make it even more beautiful than it was to begin with? It was totally unexpected, which is what i've come to expect, if that makes sense.   The acoustic version of Be Quiet and Drive was one of  my absolute favorites, I love that song to begin with but, it made me appreciate the band so much more to hear the acoustics.

Now, when Saturday Night Wrist came out, I cannot lie, I didn't even know they had been making an album....  2004 I moved to Las Vegas and wasn't really doing much with music, or writing, however, I did (and still do) represent by rockin out some Deftones karaoke on the strip.  By the time 2006 rolled around I was pregnant with my son and had so much going on personally that I had all but forgotten about the men I had such a hardcore love affair with before.... When I moved back home after I had my son, I had A LOT of time on my hands and gained knowledge of this new album....  I listened to a few songs but, then I got tangled up in life again and put the engrossing of myself into this new album to the side.

In October 2009, on my birthday, I met the love of my life, and wouldn't you know it...  He LOVES The Deftones almost as much as I do ;)  I got really into a few of the songs on the Saturday Night Wrist album, but once he told me they were working on another album, I got so excited I couldn't stop thinking about falling in love with it. This album, obviously, is Diamond Eyes.  The day they put the Rocket Skates video onto the site, we were there, listening to it, wrapping ourselves in the music, and just being generally euphoric....  Then Diamond Eyes, then Sextape.... So slow, this album is so erotic to me. The album came out on my boyfriend's birthday, so of course, that was his present.  I absolutely, am in love with it. 

I still love and will always love The Deftones, I am so glad they are still making beautiful music and keeping people on their toes musically.  You guys have kept me thinking, writing, singing, and most of all inspired.  You gave me one more thing to keep the conversation flowing.  I credit you guys, partly, in the love that I have found with my lover.  I cherish your music and I am grateful to that friend of a friend for that perfect moment, when I first started my love affair with you.

derekautomatica

pack_your_heart

dayum what?

thanks for the welcome :)

There Will Be Blood

to lazy to read your life story there, but welcome :)

pack_your_heart

it isn't my life story smart guy. it's a story about The Deftones, which is what I was led to believe this board is about.
but thanks for the welcome. :P

E-Money

SX King

I read the whole thing. It aint that much work lol. Welcome ma'am.

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...