Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Healthy Lifestyle / Nutrition

Started by lostpilot, Jun 11, 2010, 01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostpilot

I was just wondering -

how do you keep yourself healthy? Do you consider yourself healthy?
What about your nutrition (relevant to those who make their own meals daily), how do you try to keep yourself well nurtured, all the vitamins etc etc. I was just wondering, cause I will live entirely on my own after the summer and I think I need to think about those things beforehand.

Do you  consider eating out less healthy (because most of the places - well - needless to say - FAST FOOD GENERATION, with all the fats etc etc), do you make your own food from raw materials, or pre-rendered (awesome expressions of a non-mother-tongue-english rox) food?

What about smoking, alcohol, (prescription) drugs? How do you 'balance out' yourself?

And finally, what about working out? Do you work out, do you occasionally run, walk, have endless nights of sex, etc?

Just throw your thoughts out there, I'm interested in how you all folks are doing.

Variable

Eating out is almost always unhealthy regardless of what you eat or how nice of a restaurant you think you're eating at.  If for nothing else than sodium levels.

But I don't really work out.  I just drink shit tons of caffeine.  It keeps my heart rate up like I'm running all day long.  That's how I keep my body sexy. 

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

The only exercise I get is in the bedroom.

derekautomatica

try to eat more organic foods. any time you eat something without all them nasty ass preservatives it tends to be a little bit healthier.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Variable on Jun 11, 2010, 02:01 AM
Eating out is almost always unhealthy 
i beg to differ, sir.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Deftones-argentina

I avoid coca cola and such. only water will keep you clean (plus, it's way cheaper if you have to consider the money factor).
THat and a tiny ratio of excercise makes it for me.

Nailec

-no soft drinks at all
-reduced my consumption of meat to maximum of 3 times per weak, mostly fish and chicken for healthy fats
-2liter of water/tea
-cup of coffee  almost every day (dunno if thats healthy at all)
-lots of eggs to increase protein
-lots of rice and wholemeal-noodles
-fruits and legumes throughout the day
-some nuts for healthy fats, also omega3-heavy oils and avocados
-3-4 times sport per weak (capoeira, taekwondo,lot of tretching)
-some really unhealthy shit like pizza or mcdonald only once or twice a weak
-alcohol id say once or twice a weak. rarely getting really drunk

devilinside

Quote from: devilinside on Apr 20, 2010, 10:32 PM

I am very active and consider myself healthy. I kickbox 3 hours a week, have taken up karate 2 times a week for an hour each day, walk 3 miles a day,do yoga every morning and coach my kids soccer teams. I eat 3-5 small portions a day like I am supposed to to keep my energy up,drink a gallon of water a day to flush out fat... I do avoid fried foods,mainly because the smell makes me feel sick.

To add to this. I avoid red meat as much as possible...limit to MAYBE once a week or a month. I'm with bright lights...you can make right decisions when eating out. Salads with grilled chicken or any kinds of fish. Restaurants are starting to edit their menus and making things healthier too.
I do not drink alcohol on a regular basis,but red wine,in moderation is good,and a beer a day I've heard is fine for you too. Everything in moderation. And I take a flintstone vitamin every day! hahaha

chick de la lynch

I'm a vegetarian so my diet is limited and not very cheap.  In fact, I probably eat horribly as a vegetarian because I'm on a budget. I'll eat bean and cheese burritos, pasta, vegetarian chili, macaroni and cheese or vegetable pot stickers. I do from time to time just eat a bowl of rice, which is the healthiest thing I'll eat. I try to sneak a salad in when I can, but salads get boring after a while. Vegetarian meat is pretty pricey -- $4 for a box of four patties or a bag of "chicken" strips.

I was at my all time highest weight six months ago-- 175 lbs. I've lost about 15 lbs since then because I started cooking my meals. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than eating out on a constant basis and more gratifying because you made it. I also drink a lot of water and limit my soda intake to about once a week now. I also walk whenever I can. I used to drive all the time, but now I just walk if I need to pick up something from the store. The last time I drove was a week and a half ago. For snacks I'll usually eat fruit like grapes, apples or oranges and try to stay away from candy or ice cream.

wither-I

its funny how so many vegetarians are horribly unhealthy...

i dont drink or smoke or drink caffeine.
no pills of any kind.
i drink only water.
no dairy.
lots of fruit and vegetables. mostly fruit. (raw is the way)
lots of rice. 
no pasta.
i run (about 16-20 miles/week). (running is alot of impact so in many ways this is my bad habit)
i take long walks as well.
i ride my bike all around the city.
i do yoga a few times a week.
meditation.
music.
painting.
loving kindness.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

chick de la lynch

Quote from: wither-I on Jun 11, 2010, 07:28 AM

It's a diet for people with money. I was 16 when I became a vegetarian and I'm 21 now so I know personally how a good vegetarian diet can put a hole in your pocket.

Jerry_Curls

i dont drink or smoke or drink caffeine.
no pills of any kind.
i drink only water.
no dairy.
lots of fruit and vegetables. mostly fruit. (raw is the way)
lots of rice.  
no pasta.
i run (about 16-20 miles/week). (running is alot of impact so in many ways this is my bad habit)
i take long walks as well.
i ride my bike all around the city.
i do yoga a few times a week.
meditation.
music.
painting.
loving kindness.

Seems fine to me, although I don't see whats wrong with pasta? Inform me please :)
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Variable

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 11, 2010, 03:20 AM
i beg to differ, sir.
Well Sir, there are always exceptions.  You might be able to find a sushi place or maybe order some Alaskan Salmon somewhere that isn't loaded with sodium.  But I doubt it.  http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1987591,00.html

Truly eating healthy in America is actually a lot harder than most people really put thought into ( Yes I realize that Darius is not from America).  I didn't read all the other post in here yet.  But I'm sure someone brought up preservatives, hormones, artificial this or that, etc etc.  You really have to have the time and money to truly eat healthy.  Because trust me, Subway aint doing it. 

lostpilot

Well, actually, my understanding of healthy nutrition is not far from what you all are saying.

I have been drinking only water daily for about 4-5 years now.
I also have been smoking for the same period of time, and I will be trying to quit when I move to Turkey. Hopefully, I will succeed. I'd also like to minimize my drinking - even though I drink rarely nowadays.

I need to engage myself in some physical activities - I'm a lazy-ass. My body is lean, but that's mostly genes and a lot of walking that I do (I do not really consider walking as "exercise"), so I am physically weak, yet lean.

Lately I have been thinking quite a lot about meat when it comes to nutrition. My stomach is not exactly the strongest whirlpool ever made, so I believe red meat (which I eat quite a lot) could be one of the causes why I usually have 'heavy' and overall disfunctioning stomach. Though I could never go vegetarian.

By the way, about eating out - the issue here is mostly money. My friend which is currently in Turkey said, that eating out is about twice cheaper, but the food generally is good. Of course, you have got to find "good" places.. but well. I believe I will not afford the best care of myself with my scholarship there :)

goldpony

i eat vegetarians so i know i'm good :D
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

goldpony

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Jun 11, 2010, 07:33 AM

It's a diet for people with money. I was 16 when I became a vegetarian and I'm 21 now so I know personally how a good vegetarian diet can put a hole in your pocket.

not true unless you are talking about processed vegetarian food (which is an unbelievable racket). If you buy fresh produce (or better yet, grow)and make your own meals it is actually incredibly cheap to be a vegetarian. fresh produce (and i am not talking organic) and beans are some of the cheapest items in the store, even at a place like Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

As for red meat, substitute lamb or pork instead. or try replacing meat altogether with beans or a soy based product (although they tend to be expensive).
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Livewire

Quote from: Variable on Jun 11, 2010, 08:32 AM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 11, 2010, 03:20 AM
i beg to differ, sir.
Well Sir, there are always exceptions.  You might be able to find a sushi place or maybe order some Alaskan Salmon somewhere that isn't loaded with sodium.  But I doubt it.  http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1987591,00.html

Truly eating healthy in America is actually a lot harder than most people really put thought into ( Yes I realize that Darius is not from America).  I didn't read all the other post in here yet.  But I'm sure someone brought up preservatives, hormones, artificial this or that, etc etc.  You really have to have the time and money to truly eat healthy.  Because trust me, Subway aint doing it. 

I'm pretty sure you were taking what he said a bit too literal.

wheresmysnare

Blixa will be all over this shit.

Personally, i fluctuate between healthy and being a fat lazy bastard, i can't keep either up for an extended time.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: goldpony on Jun 11, 2010, 08:56 PMor try replacing meat altogether with beans or a soy based product (although they tend to be expensive).

Soy products aren't really healthy though...

alvarezbassist17

I eat a lot of really bad food, and I smoke cigarettes and weed constantly and drink beer fairly frequently, although not as much as in my heyday.  I've gotten more and more into exercise in recent years, I lift weights pretty frequently, and during the summer I do a lot of work outside, and try to do as much aerobic as I can, although I don't like it nearly as much as lifting.  I've put on like 30 pounds in the last few months and have dropped a couple inches on my waist and I've never felt like moving my body around and exercising in general was so easy, but I've been pretty out of shape my entire life.  But I approach being healthy from an output as opposed to an input philosophy.  Yeah, I know I gotta stop smoking a lot, but I don't really have an issue with the amount I eat since the activity I get does so much for my basal metabolic rate.  And being 6'3" and 235 lbs doesn't hurt either; I can eat a fucking grip of food, just sit around, and my muscles do the rest for me.  

The key to weight (fat) loss is gaining weight in muscle, specifically your larger muscles such as your legs, glutes, abs and back so both while they're healing and while they're just sitting there, they burn calories as opposed to store them like fat cells.