Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Vegans/Vegetarians thread

Started by chick de la lynch, Jun 14, 2010, 04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

This thread is inspired by the Healthy/Nutrition thread, and the KFC thread. I've been a vegetarian for five years now, and I still think there is a lot more I can find out about my diet. When your diet is limited to a certain degree, food can become monotonous (As it has for me) and you may want some variety. Feel free (PLEASE!) to share recipes that are cheap, easy and delicious to eat. This is also a good place to vent about animal rights or if you're thinking about becoming a vegetarian and have questions about it.

defskull

Where does the protein come from?  I mean come on.  Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

The brief period I was veggie, basically all I ate was lentil mush, toast and cheese pizza.

Also, inb4 this turns into a veggie rage thread.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: defskull on Jun 14, 2010, 04:49 AM
Where does the protein come from?  I mean come on.  Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

I'll give you brownie points for the Pulp Fiction reference.

You get your protein through soy milk, tofu, different types of bread, a numerous amount of vegetables and fruits, different types of beans, vegetarian meats, brown rice and a lot more things that I don't really feel like listing. We really don't need to consume that much protein as many people think.

The major reason why I became a vegetarian was because I didn't eat meat a lot and didn't really like the taste of it.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Jun 14, 2010, 06:29 AM
vegetarian meats
i'm sorry and i totally respect your vegetarianism, but that's just hilarious.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Nailec

another food-thread?

2 years later and were all exchanging recipes like old people do. are we that old?

fireflyry

Tried it for 3-4 months thanks to an ex-girlfriend.

Felt horrible, farted 24/7, and it took me 1-2 hours to poo.

Each to their own.

She just emailed me her favourite recipe after I mention this thread to her:

QuoteCRUSTED TOFU, EGGPLANT PUREE & SAFFRON VEGETABLES

Eggplant Puree: 1 large eggplant
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Tofu: 6 x 1cm thick slices firm Tofu (about 300g)
2 tablespoons miso paste
6 slices (dairy-free) white bread, crusts removed
3-4 tablespoons margarine (dairy-free table spread)
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
Vegetables: 1 small leek, thinly sliced
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
200g spinach, washed and chopped
few strands saffron
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 200C.

To prepare the eggplant purée, peel the eggplant and dice. Toss with the sugar and oil in a roasting pan. Roast, until caramelised. Purée and season.

Place to one side.

Spread the tofu slices with the miso paste. Cut the bread slices into similar sizes to the tofu. Combine the margarine and garlic. Spread on the bread strips. Sandwich each piece of tofu between 2 strips of bread. Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Sweat the leak in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan, until softened.

Add the wet spinach, saffron and seasonings. Steam, until very tender. Using a blender, coarsely chop.

Heat the remaining oil and pan-fry the tofu sandwiches until golden on both sides. Cut in half and assemble on serving plates together with the warmed eggplant purée the leek/spinach mixture.

Can be served with rounds of potato cooked in a little vegetable stock and margarine. - Serves 2-3

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

weakcure

I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I don't eat that much meat; maybe once every two weeks. I haaaaate tofu, though.

It's surprisingly not that difficult to think of foods that you could exclude or don't call for meat at all. Salads, soups, omelettes, pizzas, and pastas come to mind. I love making vegetarian sambosas, dal, and even variations of stuffed grape leaves that I can sub out the ground beef.

Being a vegan is a completely different story. I don't think I could do it.

wheresmysnare

Humans are designed to go for high fat, high protein based foods, this comes from our days of being hunter gatherers, food would have to be caught, after spending 1/2 a day tracking, hunting, setting traps you'd want your prey to have some meat on it.

Eating meat, it would seem, is more natural than not, it could be argued that those who don't have lost their connection with mother nature, as Elton John's lyricist once said, it's the circle of life.

I would agree however that the ever increasing population and it's burgeoning demand for meat has resulted in mass over-farming of animals, which has resulted in a lot of fucked up practices. Being a vegan therefore, is honourable as a protest against this, but I remain unconvinced that it is a naturally occuring phenomona, more a state of mind if you will.

Nailec

QuoteShe just emailed me her favourite recipe after I mention this thread to her:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Nailec

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jun 14, 2010, 04:34 PM
Humans are designed to go for high fat, high protein based foods, this comes from our days of being hunter gatherers, food would have to be caught, after spending 1/2 a day tracking, hunting, setting traps you'd want your prey to have some meat on it.

Eating meat, it would seem, is more natural than not, it could be argued that those who don't have lost their connection with mother nature, as Elton John's lyricist once said, it's the circle of life.

I would agree however that the ever increasing population and it's burgeoning demand for meat has resulted in mass over-farming of animals, which has resulted in a lot of fucked up practices. Being a vegan therefore, is honourable as a protest against this, but I remain unconvinced that it is a naturally occuring phenomona, more a state of mind if you will.

being a human does mean not being an natural being alone.

weakcure

I like that you brought up the hunter-gatherer lifestyle, but, from my understanding, most diets from those with the h-g lifestyle was actually mostly comprised of nutrition from gathered foods, like berries and nuts. The kind of meat - and consequent fat-intake - hunter-gatherers were able to obtain obviously depended on their environments, but they were usually small game. Bigger kills, like deer or even mammoths/elephants/giraffes, were not daily catches. I know with the !Kung, a modern African hunter-gatherer society, hunts for giraffes usually take 5 - 7 days, and the meat is enough to last a community for about two weeks. When we're talking about h-g, these communities are typically pretty small, encompassing the family, and largely mobile.

The agricultural revolution is what completely caused an imbalance in human diets. We became more sedentary, more populated, and grew/raised more food. I completely agree with your take on a wholly vegan lifestyle; looking from an evolutionary, nutritional, and ethical way, I think there are other options, but I can definitely applaud anyone who can maintain vegan, especially in our current food system.

fireflyry

In saying the motivation to hunt animals was only partly for the meat.

Fat, skin and oils were also highly prized and required, outside of diet.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: Nailec on Jun 14, 2010, 04:40 PM

Yeah, but it did at one point, that's where our instincts come from, and that's why, in addition to what ry said, humans tend towards a diet with meat in it.  It's socio-biological, the state before human ethics.

Sushi-X

When is some one gonna make a thread for pink meat eaters, the vagitarians?

Rocket Skates '94

Livewire

Nailec

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Jun 14, 2010, 10:05 PM
Quote from: Nailec on Jun 14, 2010, 04:40 PM

Yeah, but it did at one point, that's where our instincts come from, and that's why, in addition to what ry said, humans tend towards a diet with meat in it.  It's socio-biological, the state before human ethics.

i claim its just social. no insticts involved in me eating meat. its just a habit i learned.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: weakcure on Jun 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, but I don't eat that much meat; maybe once every two weeks. I haaaaate tofu, though.

It's surprisingly not that difficult to think of foods that you could exclude or don't call for meat at all. Salads, soups, omelettes, pizzas, and pastas come to mind. I love making vegetarian sambosas, dal, and even variations of stuffed grape leaves that I can sub out the ground beef.

I like tofu just so as long as it's cooked. I know some people who just eat it cold, but I can't do that.

Being a vegan would be hard. Unless they come out with good soy cheese, I'll never entertain the idea. I do give vegans a lot of respect for being that dedicated.

Quote from: MxKnife on Jun 14, 2010, 10:15 PM

I underestimated how long it would take before someone brought up "vagitarians" . Thanks for proving me wrong!

Sushi-X

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Jun 15, 2010, 03:21 AM
Quote from: weakcure on Jun 14, 2010, 03:52 PM

I like tofu just so as long as it's cooked. I know some people who just eat it cold, but I can't do that.

Being a vegan would be hard. Unless they come out with good soy cheese, I'll never entertain the idea. I do give vegans a lot of respect for being that dedicated.

I underestimated how long it would take before someone brought up "vagitarians" . Thanks for proving me wrong!

Anytime :D heheheh

Rocket Skates '94

defskull

I'm a strict vagitarian actually.