Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Bands you hated but now adore.

Started by deftones86, Jun 15, 2010, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftones86

Well i thought i would do the opposite. Of bands you adored and now hate. Well share your hate to love bands

Mine was The Mars Volta I could not stand them now they are one of my favorites . I also didnt like most rap music i was to preoccupied  with trying to be a metal head to realize there was a lot of good rap/hip-hop music out there.

lostpilot

The Mars Volta - I completely hated the vocals and chaos.
Isis - I completely hated the vocals and chaos, wasn't mature enough to understand, maybe.
A Silver Mt. Zion - again, I hated the vocals, the sound.
Circa Survive - vocals
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - the sound was too eerie and too abstract for me.

Jacob

can't really say there are any such bands now. but I used to loathe Slipknot until a friend got me into them. then I loved them for a while. now I just like to listen to the first two albums once in a while, but don't really care for them more than that.

I also used to dislike Deftones. not hate, I didn't mind them at all. I just thought it was a bit too much nu-metal for me. and the first live clip I saw from them was pretty bad (Hultsfred, Sweden 2000). then I heard a couple of songs that made me start loving them. this actually opened up my taste in music for a more modern metal sound. before that, I mainly listened to old stuff and grunge. so thanks, Deftones.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

fireflyry

I dig your thread ideas bud.

Dinosaur Jr would probably be my major one mainly due to my dislike for the vocals but a friend has been harassing me for 10+ years and now I'd rate some of their work as the best thing to come out of the nineties.Mean gat and drums.

Mars Volta is a struggle for me as well though...mainly because of the epicness and potential that was At The Drive-In.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

defTHE1s

Radiohead, i hated th
e creep video and didn't care 'bout 'em till 2004-2005 when suddenly i heard creep again and started to get into them more and more.
Also Dillinger Escape Plan and Mars Volta, first ones, too much chaos that now i enjoy and love them. With mars volta i dont love them but i enjoy most of their songs

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Trivium, KSE and Arch Enemy
Now? I fucking love them even tough KSE last effort was weak and awful

wither-I

Quote from: lostpilot on Jun 15, 2010, 03:19 PM
The Mars Volta - I completely hated the vocals and chaos.
Isis - I completely hated the vocals and chaos, wasn't mature enough to understand, maybe.
A Silver Mt. Zion - again, I hated the vocals, the sound.
Circa Survive - vocals
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - the sound was too eerie and too abstract for me.

i agree with circa.
mars volta, i liked at first but then got annoyed with.

i can never get into isis. ive tried, many times, even recently. instrumental is nice with some singing but the growling absolutely ruins any chance for me

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Starz

I feel the same about Isis... Normally I say "fuck the vocals, it's all about the music!" but yeah, I really hate the growls.

I used to hate At The Drive-In due to MTV repeatedly playing One Armed Scissor. Then I saw the album on special offer in a music store so decided to buy it. Took it home and discovered one of the greatest albums of all time (Relationship Of Command). What really sucked though, was that I had started getting into them when they broke up...

theis

Circa Survive.

Also because of the vocals, but this band has REALLY been growing on my lately. The new album is fantastic.

Deftones-argentina

GlassJAw for me. GlassToned recommended it through soulseek and at first I was like: what the fuck was that??? I couldn't stand the vocals in siberian Kiss's verse. but for some reason I thought that shit should stay in my hardrive. 3 years later I fell in love with them.

cEvin Key

At The Drive-In.
I didn't hate them but the first time I listened except from "One Armed Scissor" and "Invalid Litter Dept." I thought they were kinda of dull...but a few years later I listen again and I think "Relationship of Command" is an amazing record.
something similar happend with glassjaw and nine inch nails. I used to adore nine inch nails for a while after the the "non liking" phase but now I just like them.

Starz

NIN even today I can't get into... I don't hate them but I just can't seem to like them much  :-\