Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Hultsfred Festival Cancelled

Started by defsteve, Jun 30, 2010, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defsteve

The legendary Hultsfred festival closes the gates after years of declining attendance and increased competition.

Due to declining ticket sales and increased competition from smaller niche music events, the iconic Hultsfreds festival will be cancelled this year and the company behind it, Rockparty, has filed for bankruptcy.

"Up until the end of last week we thought we would break even," Håkan Durmér at Hultsfred festival told the TT newswire. "It was a decision which had to be taken. A board which had not acted in this situation would have rendered themselves guilty of a crime."

Since the first festival in 1986, its attendance has increased from 7,500 visitors to approximately 32,000 people in 2005. Due to an increase of ticket pricing and what the public recognized as a poor lineup in 2007, festival attendance has been declining in recent years. This year, only 5,000 tickets were sold two weeks prior to opening.

The festival's finances has also been hit by rapidly increased costs for artists, who are looking to compensate for declining record sales, and wobbly $US exchange rate.

http://www.swedishwire.com/business/5198-iconic-swedish-music-festival-files-for-bankruptcy

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

defsteve

Swedish festival Hultsfred has filed for bankruptcy following poor ticket sales.

The festival, which was due to kick off on July 7, has now been cancelled. Empire Of The Sun, Erykah Badu and Frightened Rabbit were among the acts confirmed to play the event, which would have taken place over three days.

The company behind Hultsfred, Rockparty has filed for bankruptcy, reports Swedishwire.com.

It is understood that the festival organisers were under the impression it could break even until last week.

Hultsfred began in 1986 and by 2005 it had a capacity of 32,000.

Fans who were hoping to go to this year's festival are encouraged to visit Rockparty.se for more information.

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/51793

defsteve

This was one of only 3 shows Deftones were coming back to Europe for.

Only 5,000 tickets sold  :o :o :o :o :o

Vesanic

Holy shit. I wasn't expecting this at all. Is Hultsfred festival that crappy ? ;D

vinsanity

That means only Portugal and Spain dates. Iberian tour! :D
Gentleman, you can't fight in here! This the War Room!!

defsteve

Quote from: vinsanity on Jun 30, 2010, 07:03 PM

A shirt with 2 dates on the back....win :)

Vesanic

Quote from: defsteve on Jun 30, 2010, 07:23 PM
Quote from: vinsanity on Jun 30, 2010, 07:03 PM

A shirt with 2 dates on the back....win :)

At least he will be able to say: " I was there ! " :D

defsteve

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 30, 2010, 07:37 PM
At least he will be able to say: " I was there ! " :D

I'm going to Optimus. Just hope they don't cancel now that they only have 2 shows to play......although they are headlining at Optimus.

Vesanic

Maybe they will add a couple of dates, who knows...

White Wrist

they can´t fucking cancel the OPTIMUS show!

Longstem

too bad about the festival !
There are some legendary deftones clips on youtube from the Hultsfred Festival.

I think deftones is still in Europe this week... somewhere at a beach taking a few days off.
Just guessing of course..