Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Week 2

Started by E-Money, Jul 06, 2010, 03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Money

Hey Everyone!  Hope u enjoy my picks for the week!   ;)

Gayngs ~ Relayted

Year: 2010
Best Track: Cry

Ok so I haven't even had the chance to listen to this whole thing yet.... My homeboy just sent it to me 2 days ago and I've really enjoyed it so far!  Its got a very refreshing sound and you can definitely hear many influences in their music.  I hear some Indie, Electro, Pop, Dark, Experimental.   Idk its a little bit of everything.  Check it out!  
http://www.mediafire.com/?ogrmcyxzceu

Bibio ~ Ambivalence Avenue

Year: 2009
Best Track: Ambivalence Avenue and Sugarette

This is such a cool record.  Once again its also pretty new to me, but I've given it 3 or 4 good spins.  This is such a beautiful mix of breezy pop and creatively layered instrumental trip hopish beats.   Some songs sound along the lines of Grizzly Bear and some are as crazy as something from Flying Lotus.  (Electro/Pop/Experimental)
http://www.mediafire.com/?e0ynzzhznhn

Solid Gold ~ Synchronize EP

Best Track: One In a Million

I was reading something online about these guys and saw that they actually covered the song Danger Zone from the movie Top Gun haha.  So with Top Gun being my favorite movie as a kid I had to check it out.  The cover is shitty which I knew it would be but the rest of the EP is actually pretty sick.  I really dig the first track.  Im interested to see what u guys think about it.  Some of their stuff goes along the lines of Boards of Canada and even Radiohead.  
http://rs336.rapidshare.com/files/352833565/klfgh09e.rar

Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse ~ Dark Night of the Soul

Best Track: Everytime I'm With You feat Jason Lytle

I don't quite know the whole story behind this one.  Its been out for over a year now but they never actually released hard copies.  There was a problem with their label or something and they ended up putting it on the net.   Its a very different record with a lot of cool guests.  Its going to finally be released in stores July 13th, and I think the new album cover is a little bit different.  But give it a shot its cool.  Danger Mouse is always legit, and if Im not mistaken I thought I heard that Sparklehorse died the other day.  Idk I could be wrong.  
http://www.mediafire.com/?mtknwdj1akm

Oddisee ~ Traveling Man

Best Track: Their all sick

I wanted to post some hip hop but I know that a lot of people on the board aren't into it.  So this is pretty close.  Oddisee is a great producer from the DC area.   Some of his stuff reminds me a lot of Dilla.  Every track on this album is completely instrumental and named after a different Country/City/ or State.  Its a cool record to just sit back and kick it too.  I think a lot of you will really enjoy this one.  Its got tons of soul, funk, trip hop, and electronic elements.  Enjoy!
http://rapidshare.com/files/341623759/Oddisee_-_Traveling_Man_-_2010.zip

Sorry guys for not taking the time to write better reviews of these records.  Been pretty busy lately, and wanted to get this shit posted tonight so we can get moving onto lostpilot.  Definitely looking forward to checking out his top 5   Hope u enjoy these. Peace

raynor

Awesome, I'll start with Oddisee and Solid Gold!

lostpilot

It's lovely how diverse our all choices are within the genres of music :)

bright lights, big city

holy shit that Solid Gold is greatness!
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Starz

Solid Gold is great

E-Money

Awesome guys glad u like it.  That first track is so money! Make sure to check out Gayngs too. That's a really cool album!

Crazylegs

listening to Bibio right now, and i'm loving it. Solid Gold sounds promising too from the description, haven't gotten to them yet though.

XJohnnyX

why not just have one thread?

E-Money

^ I think starting a new thread each week is fine.

Crazylegs. Glad u like the Bibio. Out of all the albums i posted that's my favorite. It's just a great fresh sounding record. I'm going to check out their other shit. I'll post links if you would like me too.

lostpilot

I will be posting my five albums in a  couple of days to come. Sunday most probably. Brace yourself for some sludge/post-metal things. :)

Crazylegs

Quote from: E-Money on Jul 10, 2010, 04:06 AM

Crazylegs. Glad u like the Bibio. Out of all the albums i posted that's my favorite. It's just a great fresh sounding record. I'm going to check out their other shit. I'll post links if you would like me too.
sure

bright lights, big city

Quote from: lostpilot on Jul 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
I will be posting my five albums in a  couple of days to come. Sunday most probably. Brace yourself for some sludge/post-metal things. :)
i still can't believe you like sludge/post-metal music now.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Vesanic

Shit, Jealous Of Roses by Bibio's so funky. :D

E-Money

Bibio-The Apple and the Tooth    http://www.mediafire.com/?yvjqvdtygut

Ill work on finding some more.....

Slacker

Quote from: E-Money on Jul 10, 2010, 04:06 AM

i disagree

black coffee

Took me some time to listen through the stuff, but now I can say for sure-
Bibio and Solid Gold were both pretty good. Too bad not every track by Bibio is as good as Ambivalence Avenue and Sugarette, because that one is pure brilliance.

Gayngs and Oddisee weren't something I didn't like or anything, both just didn't give me anything. I liked your description of Gayngs, but after listening to it I was rather disappointed.

I'll definitely invest more time into the Danger Mouse + Sparklehorse album, lots of interesting featurings there. Also gonna give Gayngs another shot soon, maybe it'll be a grower.

raynor

Bibio really digging that shit. Oddisee is kinda good too, listened to it twice, though it's more something you have on in the background really. Some tunes are a bit like stockmusic which usually is the worst kinda of music ever, but he pulls it off.

Not really digging Solid Gold nor Gayngs (what a name), can't really say why. To sweet maybe?

Still havn't checked out Danger Mouse, but all in all a pretty good mix. Thanks dude.

An bád dubh

Gonna check all the albums of this week. Have really high expecations after reading all the comments!
Will post my comments on each album when Im done with them.

An bád dubh

Okay, listened to all of them and heres my comments:

Solid Gold: Was really good! Relaxing stuff, will have this album on pretty often.
Bibio: Was alright, got a bit boring after some time though. Didnt like the structure of the songs much.
Gayngs: Interesting stuff, best track was No Sweat. Will listen to the album again at times. Chill stuff.
Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse: Was alright, again. Started off good, but realized that regardless of a lot of guest artists, the album wasnt very varied.
Oddisee: Was... umm, a bit boring to me. Somehow too simple and neat, nothing exciting. I heard some cool stuff here and there too though. 

Overall, Solid Gold was great! Gayngs was good too. Thanks for the recommendations!