Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Aural Discomfort

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jul 25, 2010, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

As I'm browsing around the internet and the boards, I'm repeatedly surprised at how shallow the collective musical tastes are. I'm a metal fan, but if a band is pushing the limits of what I know and love, I'll give it the respect it deserves. Instead of posting and praising all of this hippy, drug-induced, experimental, indie bullshit, let's discuss bands that are raw and real. This thread doesn't have to focus on metal, by any means, but it's here to get away from people applauding bands because of their electronica influences, or due to their ambient soundscapes. Give me music that is hard to listen to, or bands that destroy your notions of what they should've sounded like in the first place. Step out of your pretentious comfort zones and offer suggestions that everyone can appreciate.  I want emotion and expression and not because some reviewer claimed it as the next best thing. Post some suggestions and tell us why you are recommending the groups that you are. This is The Unknown Band thread for people who aren't afraid to step outside the box.  Fuck the typical.

My first suggestion: Atooishinjuu

I know we've mentioned them before, but they never get the attention or respect that they deserve. The name refers to suicide after your lover has died, and the lead singer's girlfriend died prior to the band forming. This is an intense and difficult album to listen to, since he screeches and moans with sincerity. There's a lot of pain throughout, but it's worth a listen.

Atooishinjuu - Maladine

ben

You're calling other people pretentious lol

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: ben on Jul 25, 2010, 08:23 PM
You're calling other people pretentious lol

I am, and I said that all genres are welcome.  Picks are very repetitive on this board. It's all subjective, but it's my opinion. What's funny is that you posted to point out I was being selective, but didn't post anything or offer suggestions.

ben

i'll offer some suggestions soon

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: ben on Jul 25, 2010, 08:43 PM
i'll offer some suggestions soon

Thanks, mate. I've seen some of your posts, and I know you have varied taste. All I want is some honest, raw music, any genre (and I mean any) that will break the mold.

Alvar

so the purpose of this thread is to post some stuff that you are into, thats totally off the wall and probably noone will like?
call me in!

let me start with a song from the almighty band Pyramids, i've brought them up several times in the past.
this band is blending several genres of music together (mainly shoegaze, ambient, black-metal and lots of noises), which results in a mostly chaotic, industrialized noise mashup, but also whith contrasting passages of epic melancholy.
Pyramids - Hellmonk

the second band i'd like to bring up is called Menace Ruine. this band is playing some kind of "droning" version of medieval folk (sometimes accompanied by some harsh electronic blast-beat drumming). but mostly drone. funny thing is that the only thing they use to create this kind of music are synthesizers, so no guitars here. just drone.
Menace Ruine - Utterly Destitute

last but not least, the complete mindfuck: Kinit Her also play some kind of medieval influenced folk, slightly mixed with undertones of sludge metal, subtle electronics and some other weird stuff.
this band has some strange kind of smurf-sounding nasal singing going on, alternating with clerical chanting and choir like singing. they are also using a great amount of classical instruments.
please note: at first i totally hated the sound of this band. i thought its ridiculous and couldnt get over the singing. but these guys are brilliant song writers. after all, i got addicted to this strange sound.
Kinit Her - Colossal Portal

have fun with these!

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

oldgentlovecraft

I actually think everyone will miss the point.  There's a difference between liking and appreciating.  I might appreciate certain bands that people post, but I don't have to like them. Honestly, everyone is so far stuck up their own asses that  I'm not sure this will work. I don't want music only I like, I want real music that someone likes and is willing to share. It's as though one person will find a band, recommend it, and then continuously post the same sounding music over and over again in a thread.  If this turns into a bash Oldgent thread then I know where you stand. 

Maybe I'm not correctly wording what I mean. There's a huge difference between music that fires up emotion in you, and music that you create emotion for; for example, I can't stand techno of any sort because I feel that the listener creates the emotion in order to appreciate the music. I was asking if anyone had music that was created with absolute raw feeling from the artist. I'm not trying to be pretentious, maybe a bit of a dickhead, but I'm seeing the same shit every single day. What bands do you listen to that people may not associate with your personality?  What are some bands that you've discovered that blow your mind and scream of honesty and ingenuity? 

lostpilot

I believe you could like The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls with Sand.
For me personally that seems like an album "beyond" music.

And Kayo Dot - Coyote gave me same notions, but I believe all my puny offerings may seem too "mainstream" and "in the box".

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: lostpilot on Jul 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
I believe you could like The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls with Sand.
For me personally that seems like an album "beyond" music.

And Kayo Dot - Coyote gave me same notions, but I believe all my puny offerings may seem too "mainstream" and "in the box".

Well, I can see how awesome this  thread's going to be.

wheresmysnare

There is a little known outfit from the Isle of Scilly, they are a close knit 5 peice of romany gypsie heritage and their nomadic roots influence heavily upon their music. They are called Cowblanket but don't let that but you off, they make songs using 'found' samples, which are often heavily processed using often highly unconventional techniques dreamed up by the band. In their most widely acclaimed song 'Eye of a Needle' they took a sound clip of Sir Cliff Richard deficating on a swan, they then passed the sound waves at an extreme velocity through the balls of a chimp. The results have been likened by local comentators to sounding like 'something like Will I Am' and have coined the name of a new subgenre known as menstruative rock.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jul 26, 2010, 04:07 PM
There is a little known outfit from the Isle of Scilly, they are a close knit 5 peice of romany gypsie heritage and their nomadic roots influence heavily upon their music. They are called Cowblanket but don't let that but you off, they make songs using 'found' samples, which are often heavily processed using often highly unconventional techniques dreamed up by the band. In their most widely acclaimed song 'Eye of a Needle' they took a sound clip of Sir Cliff Richard deficating on a swan, they then passed the sound waves at an extreme velocity through the balls of a chimp. The results have been likened by local comentators to sounding like 'something like Will I Am' and have coined the name of a new subgenre known as menstruative rock.

Lol ;)

nineteen

My brain now implodes with all this access to new music. I find it difficult.

ben

E-Money

I have to disagree with you about electronic music not having any emotion...I personally think its all about the listener.  I find electro music has a lot of feeling and emotion.  Of course most rock and metal displays a lot of passion and emotion, but I also feel that hip hop and electronic has just as much emotion as metal.  I never liked hip hop until I found out how much emotion some artists really put into their music.  I think some hip hop has maybe even more emotion than most metal bands... But it all depends on the listener. 

there's a lot of emotion here...
Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (Produced by Just Blaze) [CDQ]

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: E-Money on Jul 27, 2010, 05:54 AM
I have to disagree with you about electronic music not having any emotion...I personally think its all about the listener.  I find electro music has a lot of feeling and emotion.  Of course most rock and metal displays a lot of passion and emotion, but I also feel that hip hop and electronic has just as much emotion as metal.  I never liked hip hop until I found out how much emotion some artists really put into their music.  I think some hip hop has maybe even more emotion than most metal bands... But it all depends on the listener. 

there's a lot of emotion here...
Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (Produced by Just Blaze) [CDQ]

I'm at school, but I'll listen when I get home later. I was making the point that I'm not getting anything out of the recommendations I see. Also, I was meaning all over the internet, but people were taking it personally on the boards. You're right, it is subjective, and there a lot of artists that people don't know about that actually destroy expectations. That's what I wanted people to post here. If I say hip hop is garbage (it's not, and I actually like hip hop), I was hoping that someone would prove me wrong. Thanks for posting and responding. I wasn't posting because I thought I was better, but because I wanted people to show me why certain sounds are so appealing.

tarkil

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jul 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
My first suggestion: Atooishinjuu

I know we've mentioned them before, but they never get the attention or respect that they deserve. The name refers to suicide after your lover has died, and the lead singer's girlfriend died prior to the band forming. This is an intense and difficult album to listen to, since he screeches and moans with sincerity. There's a lot of pain throughout, but it's worth a listen.

Atooishinjuu - Maladine

Loving this, and downloading their album as we speak... I'll give it a full listen later.
But thanks for this !!   :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

oldgentlovecraft

Swartalf - Walpurgis

Swartalf - Walpurgis

Ulver - The Argument, Plate 2

Ulver - The Argument, Plate 2

Kazuki Tomokawa - Circus

Kazuki Tomokawa - Circus

Green Carnation - The Burden is Mine...Alone

Green Carnation - The Burden is Mine...Alone

Oxbow - Time, Gentlemen, Time

Oxbow - Time, Gentlemen, Time

bright lights, big city

I FUCKING LOVE ULVER! And Oxbow sounds pretty interesting! Thanks!
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?