Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Aural Discomfort

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jul 25, 2010, 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 19, 2010, 07:13 AM
I FUCKING LOVE ULVER! And Oxbow sounds pretty interesting! Thanks!

No problem!  I'm still trying to think of things beyond the obvious. Post shit if you want to share!

An bád dubh

Oldgent,

I just wrote a really long post about emotion in music, music that fires up emotion, appreciation vs. liking, etc, but deleted it as didnt make sense for me to start telling my own opinions and asking questions of yours. Personal opinions can be contradictory (meaning that one has all the right to contradict oneself, and that theres nothing contradictory about that), and I love that, therefore I just wanna see if I got the point of the thread correct:

"Share music that you like. Dont post weird music just because you want to post music that no one will like. Still, post something that is different from the current stream of music. Post music that you love because it is something ingenious and awesome, to you".

If I got it all wrong, do tell me. I wanna play by the rules of your thread, hopefully getting something cool out of it.

An bád dubh

Decided to pick this band and video as I realized how huge Murder By Death was for me from 2003 to 2005. Their last 3 albums seem rather meaningless and plain to me  but their first 2 albums from 2002 and 2003 are something that I can always go back to, Amazing stuff.

So here's Murder By Death live from 2003. If you dont have time to watch the whole thing, at least watch from 6.15 until the end, gives me the chills everytime.

Murder by Death - Those Who Left

Edit. seriously, what happened to this band after the two first album.

bright lights, big city

i dig em too. agreed that their first couple were amazing, but Red of Tooth and Claw was good too. I really enjoyed it, especially the closing track.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mm2z2mdg52r
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

An bád dubh

To me it feels like they wanted to make some money starting from In Bocca Al Lupo in 2006. They still write catchy tunes thats not the thing, but if I use some of Oldgent's definitions, the first two albums felt so raw and emotional, while the last 3 were more like "lets make great sounding music that people will like to listen to".

Almost like their earlier stuff came together in a really organic way, like they put their hearts into them and made the music for themselves and no one else. I dont know, just the feeling Im getting. Im glad you enjoy them though, havent met many that do. Maybe I will learn to enjoy their later stuff at a later point as well.

Edit. I gotta be careful what I say about any bands intentions with their records though. As a musician myself I couldnt imagine myself making anything else than the type of music that I enjoy, that I love. But maybe at some point various factors just influence the direction a band takes so much that theres no "return to the past" if one can say it like that. Thats why at times its actually great to hear that a favorite band of mine has disbanded. Changes trigger emotion, creativity, which then lead to great music. Stability at times on the otehr hand results to staying in the safe zone or overthinking what one does. I dont know, just some thoughts.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 20, 2010, 01:36 PM
Oldgent,

I just wrote a really long post about emotion in music, music that fires up emotion, appreciation vs. liking, etc, but deleted it as didnt make sense for me to start telling my own opinions and asking questions of yours. Personal opinions can be contradictory (meaning that one has all the right to contradict oneself, and that theres nothing contradictory about that), and I love that, therefore I just wanna see if I got the point of the thread correct:

"Share music that you like. Dont post weird music just because you want to post music that no one will like. Still, post something that is different from the current stream of music. Post music that you love because it is something ingenious and awesome, to you".

If I got it all wrong, do tell me. I wanna play by the rules of your thread, hopefully getting something cool out of it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I wanted to hear all types of music, but I wanted songs/artists to standout to the person that posted. People thought I was just being a selfish dickhead, but I was trying to make a point (and by getting angry, people were proving me right).  Post anything you want. I'm actually curious about why some music is considered awesome, to listen to anything new, and to just share a little. Obviously, we don't have many fans of heavier music on the board so it'll seem like I'm being biased, but it's just about checking phenomenal, new shit out across ALL genres.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 20, 2010, 03:22 PM
Decided to pick this band and video as I realized how huge Murder By Death was for me from 2003 to 2005. Their last 3 albums seem rather meaningless and plain to me  but their first 2 albums from 2002 and 2003 are something that I can always go back to, Amazing stuff.

So here's Murder By Death live from 2003. If you dont have time to watch the whole thing, at least watch from 6.15 until the end, gives me the chills everytime.

Murder by Death - Those Who Left

Edit. seriously, what happened to this band after the two first album.

Those guys are great!  Was that from Hellfest?

An bád dubh

Haha yeah it was, how did ya guess?

oldgentlovecraft

Lol, didn't, I own the DVD!

An bád dubh

And you know what Oldgent, I think I see what youre saying. On a music board such as this, the music tastes of people will become rather homogeneous. For various reasons obviously, which Im not gonna get into now. But anyways, the ones who do listen to/recommend/praise different music will either get some sort of discrimination or they will be shunned as their tastes are incomprehensible to others. I think its great to have different people on the board though, I dont need to like your music to appreciate your music taste.

And what makes music awesome, I have no idea. What do you think, besides emotion?

And man, you have the DVD from 2003? Do they have any other tracks from Murder By Death in there? I cant find anything from the net at least.

Edit. And by asking what makes music awesome, Im asking what do you think are the reasons or the variables why people consider certain music awesome.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 21, 2010, 12:11 AM
And you know what Oldgent, I think I see what youre saying. On a music board such as this, the music tastes of people will become rather homogeneous. For various reasons obviously, which Im not gonna get into now. But anyways, the ones who do listen to/recommend/praise different music will either get some sort of discrimination or they will be shunned as their tastes are incomprehensible to others. I think its great to have different people on the board though, I dont need to like your music to appreciate your music taste.

And what makes music awesome, I have no idea. What do you think, besides emotion?

And man, you have the DVD from 2003? Do they have any other tracks from Murder By Death in there? I cant find anything from the net at least.

Edit. And by asking what makes music awesome, Im asking what do you think are the reasons or the variables why people consider certain music awesome.

I think that people find music awesome for often undefinable reasons.  What I mean is, they aren't able to understand exactly why a certain band appeals to them. I feel that sometimes music, or art of any form for that matter, speak to individuals on a level that only that person can discover. I also think music allows people to share their emotions and experiences through the expression of others. It's all about how someone can relate to what's being said or expressed. I also believe that universal themes and emotions speak to most people, and that was the reason I asked for "raw" or "emotional" music. Even if I don't "get" the genre or style, I can still feel the music to a point.  I have had fun in the past reflecting upon why I am the way that I am, but at the same time it's hard to really ask yourself why you like the things that you do.  What do you think?

I think that song on the DVD was the only one they showed. I'll double check the tracklist for you. The performances were cool, but they limited the number for each band and omitted a ton that were at the festival. 

An bád dubh

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Aug 21, 2010, 01:10 AM
I think that people find music awesome for often undefinable reasons.  What I mean is, they aren't able to understand exactly why a certain band appeals to them. I feel that sometimes music, or art of any form for that matter, speak to individuals on a level that only that person can discover. I also think music allows people to share their emotions and experiences through the expression of others. It's all about how someone can relate to what's being said or expressed. I also believe that universal themes and emotions speak to most people, and that was the reason I asked for "raw" or "emotional" music. Even if I don't "get" the genre or style, I can still feel the music to a point.  I have had fun in the past reflecting upon why I am the way that I am, but at the same time it's hard to really ask yourself why you like the things that you do.  What do you think?

I think that song on the DVD was the only one they showed. I'll double check the tracklist for you. The performances were cool, but they limited the number for each band and omitted a ton that were at the festival.  

I gotta say that I agree with all of the above. Well said.

Tried to think of something to add during the last 2 days but theres nothing more to say without going way too deep into one of those categories or topics.

One thing that puzzles me at times though: How do people actually like the same type of music as others do? How is it possible that a group of friends of mine all suddenty love The Killers or Franz Ferdinand (just examples, but true ones when it comes to my friends). I just dont get it. Does a big part of people somehow make themselves like certain bands and why does it happen? The answer is probably just as simple as big part of people just dont know that much other music besides the bands they listen to and love.

Just as what comes to paintings and painters, I would say that my favorite painter is Salvador Dali. But thats just because Im not that interested in this field of arts. I dont know much about it and I dont even care enough to find out. Still, I dont look at paintings by Dali every single day as do the people who love their music.

Some people are probably very influenced by other people and start to easily like the stuff that others like as well. Maybe they just want to be a part of a group or they just dont care enough to look for other music. Some people on the other hand just love the music because they really enjoy it. So if you love The Killers or Franz Ferdinand, good for you. I also really envy you because I too would love to see my favorite bands on TV every week or even every day.

Now I went to deep into it anyways, oh well.

Edit. Oh, and thanks for checking it. Probably its just that one track though.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 22, 2010, 07:54 PM
Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Aug 21, 2010, 01:10 AM
I think that people find music awesome for often undefinable reasons.  What I mean is, they aren't able to understand exactly why a certain band appeals to them. I feel that sometimes music, or art of any form for that matter, speak to individuals on a level that only that person can discover. I also think music allows people to share their emotions and experiences through the expression of others. It's all about how someone can relate to what's being said or expressed. I also believe that universal themes and emotions speak to most people, and that was the reason I asked for "raw" or "emotional" music. Even if I don't "get" the genre or style, I can still feel the music to a point.  I have had fun in the past reflecting upon why I am the way that I am, but at the same time it's hard to really ask yourself why you like the things that you do.  What do you think?

I gotta say that I agree with all of the above. Well said.

Tried to think of something to add during the last 2 days but theres nothing more to say without going way too deep into one of those categories or topics.

One thing that puzzles me at times though: How do people actually like the same type of music as others do? How is it possible that a group of friends of mine all suddenty love The Killers or Franz Ferdinand (just examples, but true ones when it comes to my friends). I just dont get it. Does a big part of people somehow make themselves like certain bands and why does it happen? The answer is probably just as simple as big part of people just dont know that much other music besides the bands they listen to and love.

Just as what comes to paintings and painters, I would say that my favorite painter is Salvador Dali. But thats just because Im not that interested in this field of arts. I dont know much about it and I dont even care enough to find out. Still, I dont look at paintings by Dali every single day as do the people who love their music.

Some people are probably very influenced by other people and start to easily like the stuff that others like as well. Maybe they just want to be a part of a group or they just dont care enough to look for other music. Some people on the other hand just love the music because they really enjoy it. So if you love The Killers or Franz Ferdinand, good for you. I also really envy you because I too would love to see my favorite bands on TV every week or even every day.

Now I went to deep into it anyways, oh well.

Edit. Oh, and thanks for checking it. Probably its just that one track though.

Maybe people like the same bands but pull different elements from them.  For example, one person relates to the lyrics, another to the drummer and his/her skill, and another the style that band plays. No matter what these people share a common bond now. It's the same way on this board. I like heavier, older Deftones best, but others like anything Chino does, while others actually like the melodic side best. Whatever way, we're all here because of the band and our passion for the music.

And it was only the one song. If I were to download only one album by  them, which would I need to grab?

An bád dubh

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Aug 22, 2010, 11:11 PM
Maybe people like the same bands but pull different elements from them.  For example, one person relates to the lyrics, another to the drummer and his/her skill, and another the style that band plays. No matter what these people share a common bond now. It's the same way on this board. I like heavier, older Deftones best, but others like anything Chino does, while others actually like the melodic side best. Whatever way, we're all here because of the band and our passion for the music.

And it was only the one song. If I were to download only one album by  them, which would I need to grab?
I think that explanation sounds quite fitting. Explains pretty much why for example Deftones can be loved by such a varied group of people.

I was thinking of which album to recommend you to get... The two first are both so cool but Id say that you grab this:

Murder By Death - Who Will Survive and What Will Be Left of Them? (2003)
http://www.4shared.com/file/155716243/22a99394/murder_by_death_-_who_will_sur.html

The link is good and working, downloaded it to be sure. Let me know what you thought of it.

Edit. Making a long description short, I love the concept of the album and how it fits with the music:

"It is an album about the Devil wiping a small town off the map."

An bád dubh

Oh by the way, no matter if you enjoyed it or not, give your comments anyways, its always fun to hear what people think  8)

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: An bád dubh on Aug 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
Oh by the way, no matter if you enjoyed it or not, give your comments anyways, its always fun to hear what people think  8)

I haven't forgot about you, I promise. Have it downloaded, but have been really busy. As soon as I get a chance I'll sit down and digest, then tell you how I liked it! 

An bád dubh

oldgentlovecraft

Murder by Death - Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them?

The Devil in Mexico - Very Nick Cave, I liked the feel of it.

Killbot 2000 - I found myself tapping my foot and nodding my head with this. Liked the layered instruments and the build to the end of the song.

Until Morale Improves, the Beatings Will Continue - The vocals picked up a bit and I could see he actually had some range.

Three Men Hanging - Really liked this track. I actually played it twice to place the vibe, but enjoyed the mixed emotions. Sort of Modest Mouse, with that dark and somber vibe, but still catchy as Hell.

Intermission - Can't go wrong with bridging tracks lol.

A Masters in Reverse Psychology - The cello stuck out, in a good way. I also started to really like the lyrics at this point. Figurative and literal. Most concept albums will pick one way to go, but this album seems to mix it all together.

The Desert is on Fire - Felt like a good, dirty rock song. The cello/drum/guitar combo was sick.

That Crown Don't Make You a Prince - Ahhh, my favorite on the album. Loved the beginning and how it flowed into the dual vocals. There's an intensity, desperation, that carries this track. Beautiful.

Pillars of Salt - Very melancholy but follows the flow of the album. The keyboards are strong and fitting.

End of the Line - Second favorite on the album. You could play this track for anyone to represent most the album. Beautiful again, with the variety of sounds, and vocally strong. At the end of  the track it felt like a stage play, as the song ended, faded, and then picked up only instrumental again, I could imagine the curtain closing.

Really good album and I was impressed. To be honest, I'm going to have to listen to it again, to read through the lyrics and see if I missed anything, but thanks for the recommendation. I might try to download some more from these guys. Overall, great shit.

theis

Now I gotta check out that album. Sounds interesting.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: theis on Aug 30, 2010, 04:25 PM
Now I gotta check out that album. Sounds interesting.

Worth it.