Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chino Talking About White Pony

Started by Balthazard, Aug 10, 2010, 05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

White Wrist

Starz

It's interesting about the drugs comment Chino makes and one that I thought was always true. From someone who has taken "drugs" myself, your imagination and creative mind is enhanced so much. That is why the lyrics are so great on White Pony and to an extent S/T. With the S/T era the band were going through shit with divorces etc which is why the lyrical content is sad and depressing. The drug taking maybe stopped Chino from being so creative because of all the shit he had to think about. A lot of drug taking can also get you really down...

And maybe this is why I am a little disappointed with the lyrics on Diamond Eyes because Chino doesn't do much narcotics anymore...

From Chino:
Quote"But then you add those lyrics in there, they're painting a picture, they're telling you a story, I guess. Those are some of my favorite lyrics that I wrote. Now that I look back at it, I don't remember writing them. Which leads me to believe that I was probably out of my mind when I did it."

Good interview.

White Wrist

I was truly disappointed with the lyrics in SNW.

Maybe the same reason...or...other drugs.

TheShade1989

Quote from: Starz on Aug 10, 2010, 10:30 AM
It's interesting about the drugs comment Chino makes and one that I thought was always true. From someone who has taken "drugs" myself, your imagination and creative mind is enhanced so much. That is why the lyrics are so great on White Pony and to an extent S/T. With the S/T era the band were going through shit with divorces etc which is why the lyrical content is sad and depressing. The drug taking maybe stopped Chino from being so creative because of all the shit he had to think about. A lot of drug taking can also get you really down...

And maybe this is why I am a little disappointed with the lyrics on Diamond Eyes because Chino doesn't do much narcotics anymore...

From Chino:
Quote"But then you add those lyrics in there, they're painting a picture, they're telling you a story, I guess. Those are some of my favorite lyrics that I wrote. Now that I look back at it, I don't remember writing them. Which leads me to believe that I was probably out of my mind when I did it."

Good interview.

I never understood how taking any drugs helped ppl be creative, but I guess it depends on how you react to it and why you take them and everything. Personally, I think the lyrics on Diamond Eyes are awesome (even though I do prefer White Pony, lyrically). Still, it has its good and bad points. The fantastical and story-telling kinda thing works best with them to me though, so even if Chino being on drugs enhanced that, I think it's just how he prefers writing anyways.

Awesome interview by the way, thnx.

aj

that's a great interview. Nice to have a retrospective view on the greatest album of all time from the guy who wrote it.

from_musings

Quote from: aj on Aug 10, 2010, 07:20 PM
that's a great interview. Nice to have a retrospective view on the greatest album of all time from the guy who wrote it.

Haha it's not like he wrote it himself  :-)

wither-I

the best words have been written without drugs

"coming into the nearness of distance"

There Will Be Blood

Great interview, Thanks for sharing.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

That guy is a fucking dickface. It's funny that Chino's honesty to everything blows up in dickface's face though. Dreadlocks and fancy tracksuits? uuuuggh, isn't that the way they came in anyways?  What a good fucking record and a damn good person to get the answers from! Especially from a d-bag asking the q's. Reminds me of when they are on camera in an awkward interview and u can see them laughing inside at these dbag fucksticks. It's like, thanks for your time asshole but here is your straightup answer whether u like it or believe it or NOT. It's for us to hear, not this stain who probably makes weekly hair appointments and has an actual penis at the same time. ;D  Plus, Thank you much, still got a lot outta this courtesy of u n Chino
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

"Isn't White Pony your last record to go platinum? Because Nickelback rocks and stuff and they are like awesome and are a really Platinum band everytime. What a great, respectful question to a band celebrating 10 years on a milestone.  :-X
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

sing blue silver

Quote from: Starz on Aug 10, 2010, 10:30 AM

From Chino:

Good interview.

anyone who thinks drugs genuinely make you more creative is just plain retarded. are you 14?

Menos el Oso

"Drugs have done good things for us,  if you don't believe they have, do me a favor,  take all your albums, tapes, and cds and burn 'em. 'cause you know the musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years.... rrrrrrrrreal f**kin high." - Bill Hicks

sing blue silver

that's not really my point. drugs don't make non-creative people creative and they certainly don't make for better creativity. i'm not ripping on drugs, god knows i've done my share and i'm in a life long love affair with pot, but i don't find i'm any more creative when i'm high. in fact i'm less creative and that initial inspiration leaves pretty fast. being creative is a lifestyle, not a side effect. drugs have had definite influences on things i create and things i love but 90% of the time things created while high have no purpose or direction and generally turn out terrible. doing drugs won't make you cool or make art and music better. you usually have to have some talent in the first place to use drugs for creative purposes. do drugs, don't do drugs, whatever i'm just saying drugs won't cause you to feel something that wasn't already there. self reflection and understanding works much better i think.

TheShade1989

Quote from: sing blue silver on Aug 11, 2010, 06:13 PM
that's not really my point. drugs don't make non-creative people creative and they certainly don't make for better creativity. i'm not ripping on drugs, god knows i've done my share and i'm in a life long love affair with pot, but i don't find i'm any more creative when i'm high. in fact i'm less creative and that initial inspiration leaves pretty fast. being creative is a lifestyle, not a side effect. drugs have had definite influences on things i create and things i love but 90% of the time things created while high have no purpose or direction and generally turn out terrible. doing drugs won't make you cool or make art and music better. you usually have to have some talent in the first place to use drugs for creative purposes. do drugs, don't do drugs, whatever i'm just saying drugs won't cause you to feel something that wasn't already there. self reflection and understanding works much better i think.

Definitely agree with you. Maybe the drugs Chino took allowed him to experience new feelings and thoughts that helped him lyrically and with the themes of White Pony. But I dont think it's like he cant write creatively or fantastical songs without drugs. He obviously has it in him. But it all depends on what individual fans think, regarding his lyrics.

snw9

Quote from: White Wrist on Aug 10, 2010, 10:38 AM
I was truly disappointed with the lyrics in SNW.

Maybe the same reason...or...other drugs.

they were pretty straightforward and straight from the soul. i know what u mean when u compare them to white pony or diamond eyes. i think there was some deadline as well to get the album finished.
Code: [Select]

Hesperian Death-Horse!

I love the SNW lyrics. The first time I've ever felt the need to question ANY of Chino's lyrical input is on "CMND/CTRL" with that "King Kong/get some" terribleness. Other than that small snippet, I find Chino to be one the most amazing lyricists I've ever encountered. Even his simple lyrics are amazing because they're so insightful and unique.

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: sing blue silver on Aug 11, 2010, 06:13 PM

Very agreed.  I think that's definitely a widely held misconception and it's more based on the fact that those in creative occupations just tend to do more drugs, so people associate the two. And then you have guys like Chino that would clearly even be creative without drugs saying that it probably was, so I think that kind of helps perpetuate that too.

But I hold the belief that personality-related phenomena that sound like side effects of drug use are often (not always) more related to the person's personality than to their drug use.  I also base that on no science whatsoever, just personal empirical observation.

Starz

I find myself a creative person without drugs. I don't need drugs to be creative lol, that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is... is that when I do these "drugs" I create something that when I look at in the morning or whenever, I am pleased at what I created because I wouldn't have thought of that if I were sober etc... You find smoking pot has the complete opposite effect for you where as it doesn't for me. We're both completely different people. That's okay.