Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Week 6

Started by Crazylegs, Aug 11, 2010, 03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

This first albums of the week post of mine will consist only of Norwegian bands. These are all pretty accessible albums. I hope you enjoy them.  

Click the album covers for download links.

Motorpsycho - Phanerothyme  (2001)

the fucking cover art keeps disappearing so here's the link : http://www.mediafire.com/?5970icxpauab945http://www.mediafire.com/?5970icxpauab945

genre: Pop/rock

Probably my favorite album ever to come out of Norway. Motorpsycho is one of the most celebrated bands in Norway, they never made it big internationally, except from various parts of Europe, like Italy and Holland, but they've got the most die hard fans of any band up here. I don't really know how to describe the album, it's a pretty traditional sounding pop/rock record really, but it's just fucking pure quality.

Favorite tracks: For Free, Go to California, Painting the Night Unreal

Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit  (2010)

genre: psychedelic/prog rock

I was wondering wich of the Motorpsycho albums to upload and decided to just put up two, because they're so different. This album was just what i was hoping for when it came out. Total rock n' roll, with elements of all the good 70's rock/metal bands but with a modern sound.  My favorite album from 2010, so far.

Favorite tracks: All of them

Jaga Jazzist - One Armed Bandit   (2010)

genre: jazz/electronic/prog

Apparently one of Omar and Cedric of TMV's favorite bands. They're a Jazz Orchestra with 10 members. They play jazz/electronica, but this last album has a prog rock sound to it aswell. This might not be an album you just fall in love with on the first listen, but if you give it some time, there's some really good music to be enjoyed.

Favorite tracks: Bananfluer overalt, Toccata

Kvelertak - Kvelertak   (2010)

genre: black metal/punk/rock

This band comes from my neck of the woods. I've known some of these guys for quite some time, and it's so awesome to see them make something of themselves in the music business. They've been called the next Turbonegro. Personally i enjoy Kvelertak a lot more. They sound really heavy, but they're still catchy as hell. The black metal style vocals mixed with the total rock n' roll riffs sound suprisingly good. This is definitely one of the most talked about and appreciated albums so far this year in Norway, and i really recommend you check it out.

Favorite tracks: Mjød, Offernatt, Nekroskop

Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street   (2004)

genre: indie/acoustic

I'm not really sure how well known these guys are outside of Norway, for all i know you've all heard them before. But if you haven't, you have a chance to do so now. This album is so comfortable to listen to. Most of the songs are just these two guys singing and playing acoustic guitars and piano. You may fall asleep while listening to this one.

Favorite tracks: Homesick, Cayman Island, Live Long

An bád dubh

Jaga Jazzist is just awesome. Everyone should indeed check them out.

I'll check out the rest when Im done with the 4 previous weeks. So that'll be in about a month or so...

An bád dubh

I wanted to check out Kings of Convenience from the moment I saw the album cover and your description, and indeed I had to check them out:

Great album! As you said, very "comfortable" to listen to. Loved the fact that the vocals and all the instruments were so apparent in the mix. The problem with similar stuff Ive checked out lately has been that the vocals are suffocated under too many effects and one cant even recongnize what instruments are being played. This was a nice surprise.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will probably return to this thraed a few weeks later to give Motorpsycho a real chance, which I have not done thus far.

Crazylegs

Cool. I'm glad you like them.

Crazylegs

there doesn't seem to be much interest in some good music.

bright lights, big city

sorry man. i'm going to be trying the Jaga Jazzist and Kvelertak today.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

An bád dubh

Quote from: Crazylegs on Aug 16, 2010, 05:25 PM
there doesn't seem to be much interest in some good music.
I was gonna say that as well. Maybe people are just afraif of any music that comes outside of the US or UK. I hope not though.

bright lights, big city

Kvelertak wasn't really my thing, probably because I have never been big on Turbonegro. But shit, Jaga Jazzist and Kings of Convenience are money here. A lot of people on this board would dig em. Thanks dude!
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

raynor

To be honest I've already heard 4 out of these 5. Motorpsycho is great. A friend of mine calls B.S his ecstacy-song. I'll just stick to that it's really great.

I'll check out Kvelertak, even though I absolutely hate black metal or any of its sort.

Crazylegs

it's not really black metal though.

ps: Super awesome to know that i'm not the only motorpsycho fan here.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 23, 1974, 08:26 PMBut shit, Jaga Jazzist and Kings of Convenience are money here. A lot of people on this board would dig em. Thanks dude!

if you want i can upload some other albums from these guys. I think you'll find most of it on various torrent sites too.

bright lights, big city

yeah found a lot through torrents and google search
DERP

black coffee

Damn it I totally forgot about the new Jaga Jazzist album. I downloaded it when it leaked, listened to it a few times and never came back to it. It just didn't stick like their older stuff, The Stix or What We Must. Or it just takes more time to appreciate. I'll copy it on my mp3 player, just in case.

Kvelertak is rly good, had a longboard ride a few days ago and listened to this one and enjoyed it.

Downloading the Motorpsycho albums right now, never really listened to this band tbh.

Crazylegs

Well then it's high time you did listen to them. Glad to hear that you enjoy kvelertak.