Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Black Swan (The new film from Darren Aronofsky)

Started by theis, Aug 19, 2010, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

I'm seeing it tomorrow in a back-to-back with True Grit.  Should be a good doubleheader.

theis

Watched it 4 times already. Not even a tiny bit tired of it.

Incredible, incredible movie.

one weak

haha, damn. are you beginning to make your metamorphosis into the black swan?

theis

Actually, my back has been particularly itchy lately.

Hmm...

sing blue silver

It's a really good movie but it didn't come close to blowing me away or anything. Maybe I just don't get what people like. Everyone is creaming their pants over it. I really enjoyed the film and it was done beautifully but I don't know. It didn't really wow me. I'd give it a 7.9999. Close to an 8 but not quite. Maybe I'm just mad at the movie for it introducing Natalie Portman to the man who would kill my dreams and knock her up.

one weak

i agree it was not perfect, but i think people are crazy for it because there's not a whole lot else out there to get excited about.

chick de la lynch

This was Aronofsky's most theatrical film, and it was beautifully done. However, when I go over that film in my head it's not the plot that I remember but rather Portman's performance. It carried the film from beginning to end. I can't really imagine anyone else playing Nina. It was perfect. I consider Portman's performance to be one of my favorites of all time--that's how much she shook me. I can understand people not being totally in love with the film, but with Portman how can you not be in love with this film?

blixa

i saw the trailer for black swan when i went to watch i'm still here and made a vow to watch it when it came out because, fuck, a ballerina losing her mind seemed like something that would be incredible to watch. so i just watched it tonight with a friend. as a person who doesn't like natalie portman whatsoever, i think she did an amazing job. that constant 'if you're not perfect, you're a failure' thing totally got at me. this movie has pretty much cemented her career. moving on, i think it dealt brilliantly with not just focusing on your borderline ballet dancers with their eating disorders, mummy issues and self-loathing. when she goes batshit crazy...wow. it's more than the art wank i thought it was going to be. it was monstrous and really fucking beautiful. aronofsky put me inside her mind.

that said, i didn't think it was as good as the wrestler hahaha rourke had me crying like a filthy little baby. man, he deserved that fucking oscar. this is the only time i'm going to hate on sean penn, but sean penn - fuck you!

one weak

what?? sean penn as harvey milk was epic!

lukas989

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Jan 26, 2011, 01:42 AM
This was Aronofsky's most theatrical film, and it was beautifully done. However, when I go over that film in my head it's not the plot that I remember but rather Portman's performance. It carried the film from beginning to end. I can't really imagine anyone else playing Nina. It was perfect. I consider Portman's performance to be one of my favorites of all time--that's how much she shook me. I can understand people not being totally in love with the film, but with Portman how can you not be in love with this film?

Totally - she was truly brilliant in this.  I loved the film - everyone was ace in it, the cinematography was ace, the story was ace, Vince Cassel was in it - ace.  Vinces character reminded me of Olivier from Six Feet Under...theres something really rewarding about watching someone effectively drawing a person out of themselves.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: one weak on Feb 02, 2011, 06:16 PM
true, he was good, but the rourke!! he reached perfection in the wrestler.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

one weak

almost died laughing at that a couple of weeks ago.

blixa

Quote from: one weak on Feb 02, 2011, 06:16 PM

yes, i agree. i love penn. he's fantastic, but rourke killed it! he was perfect. penn's already got an oscar, which i know sounds like i'm whinging but i am whinging over a legit reason here. i'm only sorry that aronofsky didn't make rourke's character a gay wrestler. would've totally got it then.

lukas989

They should really sling a couple of bucks towards Jake Roberts for being the unofficial inspiration for the Wrestler - hell they even toned it down for the tragic madman.  On second thoughts he'd just spend it on crack most likely.  But anyway check out Beyond the Mat - I love expose-type stuff.  The hidden world of wrestling is fucking nuts.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

I saw it this afternoon after coming from work.Crazy movie.It was pretty good I will give it a solid 9

Penicks

Good movie, I was afraid Aranofsky would make another arty farty shitfest like The Fountain but it seems that he has redeemed himself.

theis

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 03, 2011, 08:41 PM
Quote from: theis on Mar 03, 2011, 07:01 PM
Screw you, The Fountain is amazing.

this.

I finally watched the Black Swan. What an immerse movie. Natalie Portman did a great job with the acting, and the supporting actors did a memorable performance as well. I lost myself at the part where she actually becomes the black swan, up to the ending. So Aranofsky-ish somehow. Bravo!