Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Black Swan (The new film from Darren Aronofsky)

Started by theis, Aug 19, 2010, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

one weak

the fountain is in my top 10 of all time.

Vesanic

Absolutely mindblowing. Spectacular, majestic.

Inkblades

I liked this movie but didn't quite love it. The third act was just a little too melodramatic and over the top for me. Portman is great in it though and fully deserves all the praise she received for the role.

Vesanic

Absolutely off-topic but that picture of Stef is fantastic, mate !

Inkblades

Haha, definitely! I might edit in some thought bubbles showing him daydreaming about weed.

Vesanic

Frequency_Chemist

Honestly I think this movie is seriously fucking overrated. I don't know what was so spectacular about...besides Natalie Portman touching herself lol.

blixa

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 13, 2011, 09:03 PM
I liked this movie but didn't quite love it. The third act was just a little too melodramatic and over the top for me. Portman is great in it though and fully deserves all the praise she received for the role.

kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth after the whole sarah lane thing.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: Penicks on Mar 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
Quote from: theis on Mar 03, 2011, 07:01 PM
Screw you, The Fountain is amazing.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 03, 2011, 08:41 PM

Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 09, 2011, 01:37 AM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 03, 2011, 08:41 PM

this.

you three can suck a big fat one

I must concur with you. The Fountain was pretty bad. However I am sympathetic towards Aronofsky after reading how many roadblocks he had to go through to make this. If I were him, I wouldn't have made it at all.

Quote from: blixa on Mar 31, 2011, 04:20 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 13, 2011, 09:03 PM

kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth after the whole sarah lane thing.

Same here. It's apparent Natalie Portman put her heart and soul in this film. At the same time, the public should remain realistic about the dancing in the film. I don't know who's speaking truthfully. Aronofsky and her fiance have both stated the majority of the film is Natalie, but would Aronofsky really destroy that illusion that the film was solely based on Natalie's hard work ethic and dedication to the role? Obviously her fiance is going to say nothing but good things about his future wife. And Sarah Lane could easily be bitter about the way the film was edited. Either way, it brought Black Swan back into the public eye, and just in time for its DVD release. Gotta love Hollywood!

blixa

it's funny how it came full circle with the dvd release. i don't believe for a second that it was all natalie portman. aronofsky and her fiance can talk till the cows come home but the fact is, none of us were there to see her perform the dance moves and all the papers that are now covering this story are talking to natalie's people (aronofsky, her fiance, kunis etc). why not talk to the other dancers that were there. i'm just extremely annoyed that i was duped to believe that portman did the majority of the dancing when the fact now is she maybe didn't.

she did brilliantly in this film. i'm not denying that. they could've just said, you know, she did like 65%-70% of the dancing. you have portman saying she did 95% of the dancing and lane did 5% and lane saying the exact opposite; that she did 95% and portman did 5%. we're never going to get to the bottom of this hahaha

theis

I'll believe Aronofsky over some bitch who's whining about the fact that she isn't the one who's getting the attention.

blixa

Quote from: theis on Mar 31, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'll believe Aronofsky over some bitch who's whining about the fact that she isn't the one who's getting the attention.

it's a movie about ballet. you have to celebrate the actual ballerina's involved, not cheat them out of the credit they deserve. the fact is, they made natalie portman out to be someone who learned ballet in a year and a half and someone who did all the hard stuff. she didn't.

theis

Quote“Here is the reality. I had my editor count shots. There are 139 dance shots in the film. 111 are Natalie Portman untouched. 28 are her dance double Sarah Lane. If you do the math that’s 80% Natalie Portman. What about duration? The shots that feature the double are wide shots and rarely play for longer than one second. There are two complicated longer dance sequences that we used face replacement. Even so, if we were judging by time over 90% would be Natalie Portman.

And to be clear Natalie did dance on pointe in pointe shoes. If you look at the final shot of the opening prologue, which lasts 85 seconds, and was danced completely by Natalie, she exits the scene on pointe. That is completely her without any digital magic."

- Darren Aronofsky

chick de la lynch

In my eyes, the parties involved all have a motive to lie or embellish the truth so believing one side over the other is futile. I agree with blixa and the fact Sarah Lane's credit wasn't due--she was credited as a "Hand model" for God's sake. I'd be upset about it, too if I put a lot into the dancing to make the film authentic only to get credit as a hand model. Even if the majority of the film is Natalie, I'm pretty sure Lane put in as much work and time as Natalie did even if it didn't make it into the film. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, though. Lane got the short end of the stick. It's not surprising, but it is disappointing. Either way, Black Swan is going to fly off the shelves just so the public can judge for themselves.

Vesanic

I don't give a fuck about who actually danced, but oh well that's just me.

sing blue silver

blixa

Quote from: theis on Mar 31, 2011, 12:30 PM
Quote"Here is the reality. I had my editor count shots. There are 139 dance shots in the film. 111 are Natalie Portman untouched. 28 are her dance double Sarah Lane. If you do the math that's 80% Natalie Portman. What about duration? The shots that feature the double are wide shots and rarely play for longer than one second. There are two complicated longer dance sequences that we used face replacement. Even so, if we were judging by time over 90% would be Natalie Portman.

And to be clear Natalie did dance on pointe in pointe shoes. If you look at the final shot of the opening prologue, which lasts 85 seconds, and was danced completely by Natalie, she exits the scene on pointe. That is completely her without any digital magic."

- Darren Aronofsky

of course he's going to say that. come on! they're all going to get precious about her doing all of it. the thing is, they told lane to shut up until after the oscars. that shows a real disrespect towards someone who did all the difficult work that portman was not able to do.

bright lights, big city

well I'm siding with Padme. She can do no wrong.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?