Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Week 10

Started by sing blue silver, Oct 15, 2010, 04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sing blue silver

so yeah, i'm early. i don't think 9 was ever coming so fuck it i'm running this shit now. also don't really expect anything as obscure as the picks you've seen in previous weeks. i'm just not as trendy or hip to what's going on as you kids. i come from a somewhat sheltered upbringing so yeah.

Hey Rosetta! - Plan Your Escape EP

http://www.filestube.com/e61757df7fac5b0003ea,g/Hey-Rosetta-Plan-Your-Escape.html

A personal favorite of mine for quite some time now, Hey Rosetta! are a little band with a huge sound out of St. Johns, Newfoundland. Hard to really explain their sound but i know that shit is genius. I've had the pleasure of seeing them live quite a few times now since they frequent my city but anyone who enjoys good music with a folky rock feel and a little classical influence thrown on top should check it out. Most bands with similar sounds i can't stand but i just can't explain it. These guys just really do it for me. This EP is a bit more straight-forward. If you crave something with just a bit more depth (not that you won't find plenty of it here) check out their full length titled Into Your Lungs (and around in your heart, and on through your blood). This is just my personal favorite of their recordings.

Standout Track: All of them, seriously.
http://www.myspace.com/heyrosetta

Clutch - From Beale St. to Oblivion

http://www.mediafire.com/?zzy5dtydyiz

Anyone who knows Clutch know they're a kick ass fucking band. I saw these guys just a couple days ago and it was just downright incredible. This isn't really their best album or anything but it's certainly the one i've been on a bender with recently. Groovy, bluesy shit with Neil Fallon's incredibly gravelly, no bullshit voice on it.

Standout Track(s): When Vegans Attack; One Eye Dollar

Baroness - Red Album

http://www.mediafire.com/?903wtbnzmdv

Just only really getting into these guys recently. Heavy sludge metal stuff. Reminiscent of Mastodon. Just really, really good.

Standout Track(s): Isak; The Birthing

Ratatat - Classics

Here's your next party album. You're welcome. I'm not usually one for electronic music but these guys just have something special about them. An incredible guitar tone and just some really all over the place but still somehow danceable beats to them. Do yourself a favor and put it on if you're looking for something just straight up fun to listen to.

Standout Track: Nostrand

Elliott Smith - From A Basement On The HIll

http://www.mediafire.com/?hf5yjd84koe#2

Though i can't stand his fans, I love the guy's music. He had some serious fucking chops and it's a shame this album was never truly finished before his untimely passing. I'm a huge Elliott Smith fan (though i could punch most of his fans in the throat) and his music has been a pretty big influence on me and my life. From heartbreaking to over joyous, this album has it all and continues to be an all time favorite of mine.

Standout Track - King's Crossing

and those are my picks for right now. not really a good indication of the kind of thing i'm REALLY into, or my all time favorite albums, but these are gems i think everyone should give at least one listen. plus what's the point of posting something like angel dust by faith no more or any radiohead album when chances are you've all heard them plenty. hopefully you all find something you can enjoy. i tried to get some variety in there so i'm sure you'll find something. ;D

E-Money

Classics is a great album man!  What do u think about LP4?  Im gonna check out Hey Rosetta tonight. 

bright lights, big city

Hey Rosetta looks interesting. Clutch and Baroness are soooo good.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

sing blue silver

Quote from: E-Money on Oct 15, 2010, 08:07 AM
Classics is a great album man!  What do u think about LP4?  Im gonna check out Hey Rosetta tonight.  

i thought LP4 was a great album. it's a bit different but i personally love every ratatat record.

as for hey rosetta, i bought a 45" by them a couple weeks ago. it had their red song and another track called who is at my window weeping which is a cover of an old newfoundland folk song and it's been blowing my mind. it's pretty rare to come across copies of it so here it is as a little bonus for you. the video cuts out the last little bit of the song which sucks but you can find it for download by google searching it.

Hey Rosetta!- Who Is At My Window Weeping? (The Silver Dagger)

Crazylegs

downloading hey rosetta! now. I really liked the song you posted from youtube.

bebo

Checking out Ratatat - Classics. Will report back after a good few listens

pinkmaggit69

Drinks won't stain this birth!

bebo

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Dec 11, 2010, 10:37 PM
Ratatat is awsome!

Agreed. Gave it a few listens, good find. Will try Baroness next

Crazylegs

if you like mastodon you should like baroness.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Crazylegs on Dec 16, 2010, 06:54 PM
if you like mastodon you should like baroness.

yeah it's very similar. good shit.