Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Essential Halloween Viewings.

Started by theis, Oct 25, 2010, 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

Halloween is right around the corner and what better time is there to watch horror movies than in the gloomy, cold days of October.

So, here are my top 10 essential horror movies to watch on Halloween.

Feel free to add some suggestions as well.

10. Night of the Creeps (1986)

The good news is your date is here! The bad news is he's dead!"
One word best describes this movie: Essential. Buy this movie. Own it. Love it. This classic has all the right ingredients, from lampooning 50’s Sci-fi cheese to delivering an equally fun and disgusting story about alien slugs infecting and turning people into head-exploding zombies. And to top it off, it costars Tom “Fucking” Atkins, who pretty much steals the whole show with his arsenal of hilariously badass one-liners. Unless you have a stick pried up your ass, Night of the Creeps should be a fun, horror-filled time for all you creeps. Did I mention there are flamethrowers?

9. Drag Me to Hell (2009)

"Even nice people can go to hell."
Sam Raimi's fantastic return to horror! It’s scary, gross and hilarious, with a memorable monster in Mrs. Ganesh; definitely one to check out this Halloween.

8. The Evil Dead (1981)

"The ultimate experience in grueling terror!"
My all time favorite horror movie. It never gets old. I could watch this one every day and still have a great time. Most horror movies could learn a thing or two from this gory, demon filled adventure. Also, it was the first time I witnessed tree rape; a truly religious experience.

7. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

They won't stay dead."
The ultimate horror film…what more needs to be said?

6. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1983)

"The night no one comes home."
No, this movie does not have Michael Myers in it, but who can resist an 80’s horror movie set on Halloween, with megalomaniacal warlocks, snakes and bugs crawling out of a freshly destroyed child’s head, and Tom Atkins kicking ass, well, that makes it kind of hard to suck. I really believe if this movie were released with an alternate title people would have enjoyed it more. But fuck them; I call it mandatory Halloween viewing.

5. The Thing (1982)

"Man is the warmest place to hide."
The Thing has everything you could possibly need, all in one convenient film; the eerie, thumping soundtrack, gore, atmosphere, Kurt Russel and a kickass monster. One of the all time greats.

4. Re-Animator (1985)

"Herbert West has a good head on his shoulders…and another one on his desk.".
Moving right a long, it’s time to up the comedy and the gore again, as Herbert West shows the world the dangers of bringing the dead back to life. Is it still necrophilia if the body is brought back? I guess you will have to wait and see.

3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

"After a decade of silence...the buzzzz is back!"
I may be one of the few that absolutely loves this insane movie. You’ll be treated to a fantastically over-the-top performance from the late, great Dennis Hopper and some cracking gore from effects maestro Tom Savini.

2. Trick 'r Treat (2007)

"Poison, drowning, claw of knife. So many ways to take a life."
It's nice to pop-in some Halloween themed flicks on the very night, so why not try Michael Dougherty's Trick 'r Treat? Told in 3 interlocking stories, the film is a tightly paced fright-fest; a very strong recommendation for this one.

1. Halloween (1978)

"The night HE came home!"
Well, duh! Haven't watched this yet? Be ashamed...be very ashamed.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

oldgentlovecraft

Good call, Theis! You added a few I would've recommended (Trick 'R Treat, The Thing, Night of the Creeps), so let's see if I can add anything good to it.  Btw, I fucking love Halloween III !

10. Scarecrows

9. 28 Days Later

8. Pontypool

7. Prince of Darkness

6. Uzumaki

5. City of the Living Dead

4. Phenomena

3. Cabin Fever

2. Creep

1. Howling V: The Rebirth

defskull

For the longest time Evil Dead 2 was my essential go to movie to watch on Halloween but after seeing Trick r' Treat last year, I think it might become the new movie I'm going to watch every Halloween.  I'm introducing it to some friends next weekend. I'm pretty excited.

chick de la lynch

Halloween isn't my thing, and hasn't been since I was 14. I don't celebrate it, which confuses the hell out of everyone else. However, I just finished watching this film, and I think it's a great film to watch on Halloween. It's freaky, it's creepy, and it's Swedish.

Let the Right One In

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: defskull on Oct 25, 2010, 07:00 AM
For the longest time Evil Dead 2 was my essential go to movie to watch on Halloween but after seeing Trick r' Treat last year, I think it might become the new movie I'm going to watch every Halloween.  I'm introducing it to some friends next weekend. I'm pretty excited.

Absolutely essential.

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Oct 25, 2010, 07:10 AM
Halloween isn't my thing, and hasn't been since I was 14. I don't celebrate it, which confuses the hell out of everyone else. However, I just finished watching this film, and I think it's a great film to watch on Halloween. It's freaky, it's creepy, and it's Swedish.

Let the Right One In

One of my top 5, all time favorites.

Inkblades

Good stuff here. Gonna have to check some of these out. Uzumaki looks interesting. What's that all about?

I just watched Candyman last night and enjoyed it (and not just because I am in love with Virginia "MILF" Madsen).

bebo

What the fuck, Uzumaki has a movie adaption? Downloading now. The manga was just pure pleasure.

theis

Some nice choices there, oldgent.

Prince of Darkness is definitely one of Carpenter's most underrated. Love the apocalyptic atmosphere in it.

Haven't seen Pontypool. Looks interesting though.

Howling V looks craptastic!

Just thought about a few more:

Fright Night,
John Carpenter's The Fog,
The Blob (1988),
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978),
House of the Devil,
The Changeling,
From Beyond,
The Changeling,
Return of the Living Dead.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 25, 2010, 07:35 AM
Good stuff here. Gonna have to check some of these out. Uzumaki looks interesting. What's that all about?

I just watched Candyman last night and enjoyed it (and not just because I am in love with Virginia "MILF" Madsen).

"Be my victim." I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Virginia Madsen is badass. Where the hell has she been lately?  And Uzumaki is about a town that begins going insane from spirals.  There's a little more to it, but it's Lovecraftian, and weird. Good stuff.

bright lights, big city

I can probably watch The Thing on repeat. That and They Live are by far my favorite Carpenter movies. Last night I saw Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave. It was good for a few laughs, because it utterly atrocious. Can't believe Peter Coyote actually signed up for that shit.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

sing blue silver

seriously? not a single friday the 13th movie? or a single nightmare on elm street movie? the fuck is wrong with you people?!?!?! that is my ESSENTIAL halloween viewing. come the fuck on people.

as a side note; drag me to hell, cabin fever, and 28 days later all suck MAJOR balls. i know people love 28 days later and i LOVE zombie flicks but it's literally last on my list of zombie movies.

and cabin fever? seriously? that one isn't even entertaining in the least.

one weak

ummm.....Psycho anyone?

nosferatu
white zombie
rosemary's baby

so many....

theis

Quote from: one weak on Oct 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
ummm.....Psycho anyone?

Definitely one of my favorites, but it's not really a "Halloween movie" for me.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: sing blue silver on Oct 25, 2010, 08:11 PM
seriously? not a single friday the 13th movie? or a single nightmare on elm street movie? the fuck is wrong with you people?!?!?! that is my ESSENTIAL halloween viewing. come the fuck on people.

as a side note; drag me to hell, cabin fever, and 28 days later all suck MAJOR balls. i know people love 28 days later and i LOVE zombie flicks but it's literally last on my list of zombie movies.

and cabin fever? seriously? that one isn't even entertaining in the least.

Lol, to each their own. I'm a hardcore horror fan and love watching nearly anything (up to 900+ in my collection). Cabin Fever was hilarious, gory, and a nod to campy bloodbaths of the 80's. I'm a huge Eli Roth fan, since he's nothing but a fanboy himself. 28 Days Later is beautiful and chaotic. Near the end, when Jim comes back for the girls, violent and unforgiving, I get chills. Drag Me to Hell I was a little iffy on, although I liked it. It wasn't as strong as it could've been, but was fun to watch.

I've been watching AMC's Friday the 13th runnings for nearly a week now!  Always good shit.

bebo

REC and REC2 will be on my list.

Antichrist, the House of the Devil, Inside, Session 9 too.

theis

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: bebo on Oct 25, 2010, 10:49 PM

Both Recs were good, although any religious horror kind of kills the scare factor for me (the second was too heavy handed for my taste, but well shot and still intense at moments).

theis

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Oct 26, 2010, 01:26 AM

although any religious horror kind of kills the scare factor for me.

Really? What about The Exorcist...or The Omen? I'm not religious in any way whatsoever, but those movies still creep me out. I'm a sucker for horror involving demons/the Devil.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: theis on Oct 26, 2010, 01:37 AM

Really? What about The Exorcist...or The Omen? I'm not religious in any way whatsoever, but those movies still creep me out. I'm a sucker for horror involving demons/the Devil.

The Exorcist has some great effects, but not too scary, but the Omens I love, since Damien is creepy and nearly untouchable. I always find myself rooting for the bad guy in these types of movies. For example, I watching The Reaping and was highly disappointed by the end, since the story flipped and there was nothing terrifying  or badass about the cult or the Satanic forces.

sing blue silver

Quote from: theis on Oct 26, 2010, 01:37 AM

it took me a while but i love the omen movies. mostly the first two. usually i find it more terrifying to have no idea what is after you or why but those movies (mostly the first) just handled it really well in my opinion.