Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Joy Division

Started by chick de la lynch, Nov 15, 2010, 05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about these guys. I was heavily obsessed with them during my freshman year of college, and I'm falling back in love with them all over again.

Closer is my personal favorite. It's a haunting and honest piece of work from beginning to end

theis

I've only heard Closer, but I could never get into that album. Maybe I should check out Unknown Pleasures.

ben

Unknown Pleasures is the best.  It is simply the most haunting album I have ever lord. "Lords"? I mean come on.

Paint Your Lips

Ben, are you refering to Day of the Lord? If so, hell yeah, that song is by far their best. Unknown Pleasures is a masterpiece.

chick de la lynch

I think Unknown Pleasures is a more accessible Joy Division album. It's not nearly as dark as Closer, which can be off putting with first listen. I love Unknown Pleasures, but Closer just hits me harder.

ben

Quote from: Paint Your Lips on Nov 16, 2010, 02:19 AM
Ben, are you refering to Day of the Lord? If so, hell yeah, that song is by far their best. Unknown Pleasures is a masterpiece.

lol yes, thank you.  Sorry I was a little high writing the previous post.  That song is haunting as all hell.

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 16, 2010, 06:29 AM
I think Unknown Pleasures is a more accessible Joy Division album. It's not nearly as dark as Closer, which can be off putting with first listen. I love Unknown Pleasures, but Closer just hits me harder.
I should really give Closer some more time.

Ben, so was I, man. Got high while listening to Deerhunter's Cryptograms.

from_musings

i dig sad music but in this case i could never get into his vocals. i've tried on and off for years. sounds like an old man talking or something, insted of a young man singing.unknown pleasures is such a praised record but i just don't get them i guess. liked those guys better when they became new order!

JP1981

I'm your passenger

chick de la lynch

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 16, 2010, 02:53 PM
i dig sad music but in this case i could never get into his vocals. i've tried on and off for years. sounds like an old man talking or something, insted of a young man singing.unknown pleasures is such a praised record but i just don't get them i guess. liked those guys better when they became new order!

The funny thing is that his speaking voice is higher pitched than his singing voice.

It took me years before I gave Joy Division a fair chance, and Ian Curtis' voice was a big reason why I couldn't get into them. It just sounded weird. Curtis is now on my list of favorite vocalists.