Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Shane Meadows

Started by lukas989, Dec 08, 2010, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukas989

What with This Is England '86 having been on there a short while back, Ive embarked on a bit of a Shane Meadows adventure, having added all of his available stuff to my Blockbuster list.  Just saw Dead Mans Shoes - and so far so good.  Theres a running theme so far in his movies where he manages to capture an effective fly -on-the -wall style, the acting giving off a feeling of a feeling of improvised freedom that works really well.  Rarely have my emotions swung from eye-watering laughter to gormless astonishment in respect of moments so raw, they cant help but have you sit and ponder on them for some time after.  worth checking out very much anyway - let me know what you think.

blixa

he's brilliant! if you haven't watched a room for romeo brass, please do. it's a very good film.

dead man's shoes is my favourite film. i know all the dialogue from it. i've watched it that many times.

lukas989

Yeah - its on my list :)  I noticed theres a pretty handy DVD floating about on amazon which is a four film set for like a tenner.  A top xmas gift for anyone (well with the exception of 10year olds down perhaps).   Hes very much one of those guys who produces films, where you're immediately trying to ram them down peoples throats :D

blixa

he's my favourite director. dead man's shoes may not mean much to a few people but it is a lot of everything to me. i can't wait till meadows and considine work on something new together.

chick de la lynch

So far the only Shane Meadows film I've seen is This is England, which I thought was fantastic. The film had a lot of heart while still treading some interesting and controversial subject matter.

What would you two recommend from his collection?

lukas989

Ive only just started delving deeper (seems blixa is a bit more complete in his knowledge), but I've also taken in this is England '86, which was done for tv in four one hour episodes - absolutely magnifico (now on dvd), and had me laughing and crying in equal measure, plus Dead Mans Shoes, which captures the same sort of spirit - the dialogue across all these films is top notch.  I sense a pattern already from watching these that you cant really go wrong, so anything with his name really.  As I mentioned hes got a box set out there (4 films), which seems a good way to go.

blixa

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Dec 09, 2010, 08:07 AM
So far the only Shane Meadows film I've seen is This is England, which I thought was fantastic. The film had a lot of heart while still treading some interesting and controversial subject matter.

What would you two recommend from his collection?

i highly recommend you watch this is england '86, like lukas said. if the only thing you've watched is this is england then that is the perfect thing for you to watch next. then watch a room for romeo brass. only after that watch dead man's shoes. after you watch it go to the dvd special features and watch it again with the commentary on. meadows and considine do the commentary and they share a lot of cool facts about the film plus it's great to hear them talk together because you realise you're being given an insight into their relationship. plus it's really funny. i have a very good feeling that you'll probably like somers town best.

i also have to say le donk & scor-zay-zee was so fucking hilarious. considine is just a brilliant actor. he amazes me all the time.

lukas989

Yeah, Paddy is baddass - I've got a bunch lined up to see hes done down the line (IMDB is a handy tool fer sure), including 'In America', a film I vividly remember getting reviewed on TV, which for some reason I never saw.  Ive read great things but, so looking forward to that.  totally unrelated to Shane or Paddy, but worthy of a mention, because of its grittiness and, well Britishness, is ID - a film about undercover cops infiltrating a gang of football hooligans.  Guess you two would be appreciative (although Im fully expecting you both to say you've seen it).

blixa

haha no i haven't seen it. i watch a lot of ashes to ashes and luther and such. did you hear that they're making this is england '90? can't wait!

also in america is very sad. paddy surprised me in that. have you seen the red riding trilogy? ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.

lukas989

Ah good - was left desiring more with '86 - so thats shit hot to hear!  Funny you should mention Red Riding...for some reason its not one gettable through Blockbuster...Ill use your endorsement as a reason to fork over a tenner to Amazon ;)

blixa

i just hope they don't drag it on. i like the momentum of something being good and not being constantly redone although i reckon the '90's one might actually be really well made plus i think a lot of us want to know what happens to combo. combo totally redeemed himself in '86. i always sympathised with him from the film. there was something about his character, although he was flawed in so many ways, that really sunk into me.

red riding is so slick. just the way it's filmed, and the characters never really leave you. robert sheehan is really good in it too. i'm starting to read the books. it made that much of an impression on me.