Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

David Fincher

Started by BillyNo.9, Dec 14, 2010, 05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

Quote from: defskull on Jun 03, 2011, 04:01 AM
Well the Swedish original was basically someone trying to emulate the look of Fincher but the pacing is terrible.  I really think the original movie is very overrated.  I think Fincher's will become the definitive version of it.

I'm going to disagree with this statement. I just watched the original last night and the pacing was spot on. I didn't even get the feel for Fincher when watching it at all. I'm a big fan of the statement "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the original film is amazing. However, I think Fincher may debunk my opinions on remaking foreign films. The trailer looks great, and from what I hear from many fans of the Millenium trilogy that Fincher's version may be more loyal to the book than the Swedish film.

Rooney Mara seems to have embraced the role fully which makes me want to watch it even more. An interview with Fincher came out not too long ago about how he didn't cast Scarlett Johansson in the role because she was "too sexy". After watching the  Swedish film, I understand why. Lisbeth's sex appeal is an obscure type of sex appeal. Johansson wouldn't be able to pull it off. I think Mara was a good choice.

Inkblades

I haven't read the book, but I found the Swedish film to be very standard boilerplate murder mystery thriller type of stuff. Watchable and well-done for what it is, but definitely not breaking any new ground, IMO.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Dec 04, 2011, 11:20 PM
Well the Swedish original was basically someone trying to emulate the look of Fincher but the pacing is terrible.  I really think the original movie is very overrated.  I think Fincher's will become the definitive version of it.

I'm going to disagree with this statement. I just watched the original last night and the pacing was spot on. I didn't even get the feel for Fincher when watching it at all. I'm a big fan of the statement "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the original film is amazing. However, I think Fincher may debunk my opinions on remaking foreign films. The trailer looks great, and from what I hear from many fans of the Millenium trilogy that Fincher's version may be more loyal to the book than the Swedish film.

Rooney Mara seems to have embraced the role fully which makes me want to watch it even more. An interview with Fincher came out not too long ago about how he didn't cast Scarlett Johansson in the role because she was "too sexy". After watching the  Swedish film, I understand why. Lisbeth's sex appeal is an obscure type of sex appeal. Johansson wouldn't be able to pull it off. I think Mara was a good choice.
I read something about that too. I'm glad he's being completely faithful to the books. The first Swedish was still awesome, even if they had to cut some stuff, but have you seen the other 2 movies yet? They were ok but definitely not up the par, and felt rushed.

I'm just ready to see this movie though. When I read the books, I pictures a Fincher movie in my mind. When I saw the Swedish movies, I just felt like Fincher could do even better than the originals. The setting, story, characters, and his atmosphere should make for a great combo and I'm anticipating a spectacular film.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 05, 2011, 05:35 AM
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Dec 04, 2011, 11:20 PM

I read something about that too. I'm glad he's being completely faithful to the books. The first Swedish was still awesome, even if they had to cut some stuff, but have you seen the other 2 movies yet? They were ok but definitely not up the par, and felt rushed.

I'm just ready to see this movie though. When I read the books, I pictures a Fincher movie in my mind. When I saw the Swedish movies, I just felt like Fincher could do even better than the originals. The setting, story, characters, and his atmosphere should make for a great combo and I'm anticipating a spectacular film.

I just finished watching the trilogy. The last two don't compare to the first one, but I still enjoyed watching them. Hopefully Fincher can make these films his own and doesn't rely too much on the Swedish films.

I think ultimately it's going to be up to Rooney Mara to make Lisbeth Salander phenomenal. When I was watching the trilogy, it's the characters that really make the films come alive. Salander is a smart, strong, kick-ass woman and hopefully Mara can keep the same spirit as Noomi Rapace did. However, after watching the trilogy I can't imagine anyone taking Rapace's place.

BillyNo.9