Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Have we got any comic fans?

Started by davetonez, Jan 10, 2011, 07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davetonez

Just giving a shout to see if there's any comic fans? Just finished reading the Marvel Universe vs. the Punisher. Good shiiit

bodywars9000

Used to be. Still love comics, just not many that have come out after 2003 or so.

davetonez

Quote from: bodywars9000 on Jan 10, 2011, 12:54 PM
Used to be. Still love comics, just not many that have come out after 2003 or so.

What'd you used to read?

Vesanic

Spider-Man.Spider-Man.Spider-Man.

sing blue silver

i'm a batman junkie... hardcore.

also reading the walking dead, the amory wars and 100 bullets at the moment.

davetonez

Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 10, 2011, 11:16 PM

Nice, I've been interested in checking out the Amory Wars. I've heard great things... But I'm yet to give Coheed a chance, so I may wait 'til then.

sing blue silver

Quote from: davetonez on Jan 11, 2011, 01:40 AM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 10, 2011, 11:16 PM

Nice, I've been interested in checking out the Amory Wars. I've heard great things... But I'm yet to give Coheed a chance, so I may wait 'til then.

coheed is great, the concept is great, the comics are really good but they contain a good deal of corniness (especially the more recent issues co-written by peter david). as a die hard coheed fan i'd recommend them highly.

bodywars9000

Wow, well i read alot. Keeping in mind i was picking up alot of these more for the artwork. I always read alot of novels and actual books, also i am a character designer and comic book artist/cartoonist. That being said, i have a vivid imagination and when i pick up a comic it's to see someone else's vivid imagination come to life, that and i just love style in creativity, that's why i love Deftones. Some comics are really good reads but without in what my opinion is mind blowing artwork, i'd rather just read a good novel and let my imagination do the work.

Weapon Zero
The Tenth
Spawn
X-Men
BATTLE CHASERS
Crimson
Wildcats
Pitt
JTHM
Evil Ernie
Spider man
Batman
Gen 13
Generation X
Danger Girl
Steampunk
Ascension
Etc etc etc
I have tons of others but those are some that i regularly collected at the time.
Last book that i picked up was Wildsiders and the Joe Mad Ultimates.
Been trying to find Lady Mechanika but it's sold out everywhere.

E-Money

I was never a comic guy.  Kinda wish I was back in the day tho.  I guess I was too into Hockey trading cards...

davetonez

Quote from: bodywars9000 on Jan 11, 2011, 04:24 AM
Wow, well i read alot. Keeping in mind i was picking up alot of these more for the artwork. I always read alot of novels and actual books, also i am a character designer and comic book artist/cartoonist. That being said, i have a vivid imagination and when i pick up a comic it's to see someone else's vivid imagination come to life, that and i just love style in creativity, that's why i love Deftones. Some comics are really good reads but without in what my opinion is mind blowing artwork, i'd rather just read a good novel and let my imagination do the work.

Agreed, one of the many reasons I got back into them after years away from reading comics. I was thinking about getting comic book  tattoo's a while back before deciding against tatt's for now.

bodywars9000

Yea i waver on tattoos also. Lots of things i thought woulda been cool years ago i'm really glad i didn't get now.

Any recommendations on some new comics?

davetonez

I've sorta been turned off them because of their immense popularity now.

Umm... Maybe Heroes For Hire if you're a fan of Marvel Comics. The first issue just came out, and the story involves characters like Ghost Rider, Black Widow, and Moon Knight. That's probably the best new release I've found, otherwise try the Wolverine Weapon X series, or anything with Deadpool if you like a bit of humour mixed in there.

bebo

I read a lot. Walking Dead, anything by Neil Gaiman, Y the Last Man, anything by Alan Moore, etc etc. Scott Pilgrim and pretty much a ton of manga. Bleh.

BillyNo.9

Daredevil
The Puniser
and an awesome 3 part Wolverine series set in the future that was drawn all manga like.

davetonez

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jan 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
Daredevil
The Puniser
and an awesome 3 part Wolverine series set in the future that was drawn all manga like.

There's been heaps of good Punisher comics lately, I'm starting to get into the Dark Reign/Franken-Castle series at the moment.

BillyNo.9

Havnt really read any comics lately, what are the illerstrations like?

bodywars9000

fucking watered down and lackluster imo

davetonez

Quote from: bodywars9000 on Jan 23, 2011, 03:05 AM
fucking watered down and lackluster imo

You reckon? I think the art is brilliant. Any idea if or how much the work gets altered by computers?

bodywars9000

altered how? there is digital painting, digital inking, not to mention that a large percentage of work is done on tablets.

art is subjective, obviously, but as an artist and long time comic book fan, i am dissapointed in the quality of work as of late. that is not to say that there are not highly talented and skilled pencilers, inkers, and colorists in the business today, just that the general output of the community lacks a certain bombast and zest that i became accustomed with.

i personally equate talent with style.

a metaphor: Deftones being the type of artist i am in favor of, Lady Gaga being representative of the kind of artists i feel are in comics today.

my point is that no one seems to be taking risks. its fucking bland, its fuckin boring to me.

i want charisma, i want excitement popping out at me, images that can not be observed in the natural world.

otherwise like i said earlier in the thread, i'll just read a book, draw my own comics, or just watch a movie.

davetonez

True, I imagined there would be a lot of work done digitally.

But I think the overall possibilities have been widened by that too... Sure it might not be as authentic as it originally was, but there are so many more colour scheme's available now due to having digital assistance.