Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Occult Themes in Deftones?

Started by bloody_liver, Jan 11, 2011, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theory

Come to think of it...Team Sleep lyrics are pretty creepy/ eerie, too.  I really don't think there's any deep occult meaning or connotation in their music...When you're looking for something you're going to find it...like playing Stairway backward on the record player...listen hard enough it will sound like 'satan' whatever that sounds like. I think Deftones have just chiseled their own style, and it happens to be eerie in some senses of the word.  But hey, stranger things have happened *shrugs*

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

I meant as far as the Titles or cover pictures being related to the songs on that album or the album itself. Don't think most of them have a relationship with it's own contents. Could b wrong don't think we'll ever know either. :-\ I like it that way
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Bifrost

It's kind of funny you started this thread because I have been thinking about this a lot since diamond eyes came out... I am a long time fan and dont think the band has always had these themes I think they really came in around white pony, the lyrics in a boys republic describe a blue star shining it's light down? I think this is a reference to the star Sirius which has a lot of occult connections and of course there are the songs Minerva the pagan goddess, hexagram, and others... I didn't really notice these things at first and maybe I subconsciously tried to ignore them but the more I studied the occult it began obvious, I dont it's the whole band though seems to be chino, then once he got that baphomet tattoo it became pretty obvious he has gotten into these things...

Does anyone else remember that pic with chino and Marilyn Manson? it was taken around the self titled album

Plus look at the lyrics in crosses, the themes of aliens and demonic beings are obvious

I dont think we can be naive, I have and still admire his lyrical work but I ain't dumb it is what is

lostpilot

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
Quote from: bebo on Jun 23, 2011, 02:33 AM

this is brilliant

oh god I was about to post something like that, but you did the job for me, bebo
applause, applause

pony_01

Just found this:

MINERVAL

Minerval seals of the Bavarian Illuminati. These pendants, worn around the necks of Minerval initiates, featured the Owl of Minerva .
Also known as the Owl of Wisdom, this symbol is still found today in powerful places: around the White House, hidden on the dollar bill or on the insignia of the Bohemian Club.

Source:
http://secretarcana.com/hiddenknowledge/the-order-of-the-illuminati-its-origins-its-methods-and-its-influence-on-the-world-events/

from_musings

are you referring to the song minerva? i think it's about the goddess minerva.. the bitch that invented music

pony_01

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
are you referring to the song minerva? i think it's about the goddess minerva.. the bitch that invented music

edit:
my image just dont showd up. the minerval seals have an owl picture in it.

from_musings

ok.. probably just my computer that I'm at for the moment that's struggeling.
Anyway, I think they just picked the d.e cover from a stock photography data base because they thought it looked cool, i would guess no deeper meaning

pony_01

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
Anyway, I think they just picked the d.e cover from a stock photography data base because they thought it looked cool, i would guess no deeper meaning

well i really hate (if) my fav band join the that some kind of secretsociety.. i really dont want these guys to be the "bad guy"

sing blue silver

nope, they did a specific shoot with that owl. there's a picture somewhere of chino with the owl. still i agree they just did it to look cool. could you really imagine any of the guys being into the occult? imagine abe or stephen sitting around talking about that stuff. it just seems silly and laughable to me.

from_musings

i know the picture you're thinking of..i thought that was a different owl because frank said they had a meeting where they had a lot of different pictures presented to them to chose from when they were gonna pick the cover.and everyone loved the owl

edit: i searched for stockphoto at this board and there's a link proving it's a stock photo according to a member here:
http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,16405.200.html

but the link there doesn't work. the owl pictures with chino are there too. confusing

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
lmfheadoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

from_musings

Quote from: sing blue silver on Oct 31, 2011, 10:42 PM

nope, they did a specific shoot with that owl. there's a picture somewhere of chino with the owl. still i agree they just did it to look cool. could you really imagine any of the guys being into the occult? imagine abe or stephen sitting around talking about that stuff. it just seems silly and laughable to me.

about the thing where people say it's a stock photo but still there's pictures of chino with an owl,maybe it was like this: they picked a stock photo with an owl as a cover. then to have something to go with it,  they got a hold of another owl of the same kind - so they could use it for some inside cd/booklet art.where on different pages, the thought were to have pictures where each member held the owl in different poses.
half through the photo shoot, they said "wait a minute... what are we doing? this is fucking stupid" so they scrapped all of it in the last minute.
and that's why d.e just had boring white lyrics to a black background inside the cd ^

Electron§

I kind of just realized how sick the D.E. cover is with the owl and all the (potential) symbolism, but I wish it had the ribbon 131 font.  :-\

from_musings

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 04, 2011, 08:42 AM
I kind of just realized how sick the D.E. cover is with the owl and all the (potential) symbolism, but I wish it had the ribbon 131 font.  :-\

here they talk about the cover

@ 5:30

Deftones Interview - UpVenue.com 

@2:10

kdge.com EF 20 Deftones Interview pt 2

i know some people like to dig deep in this sort of stuff, but deftones just aren't that kind of band

sing blue silver

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 04, 2011, 03:25 PM
i know some people like to dig deep in this sort of stuff, but deftones just aren't that kind of band

exactly!

Jerry_Curls

^And you know that how??

Don't trust anyone.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: pony_01 on Oct 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
Just found this:

MINERVAL

Minerval seals of the Bavarian Illuminati. These pendants, worn around the necks of Minerval initiates, featured the Owl of Minerva .
Also known as the Owl of Wisdom, this symbol is still found today in powerful places: around the White House, hidden on the dollar bill or on the insignia of the Bohemian Club.

Source:
http://secretarcana.com/hiddenknowledge/the-order-of-the-illuminati-its-origins-its-methods-and-its-influence-on-the-world-events/

Awesome find... kind of tie to what I said a page before; "Minerva/Athena[Greek] is usually represented by an OWL. She was the goddess of magic [magick?] and the inventor of music (interesting ties to the song). Athena is associated with Isis...Wife of Osirus and mother of Horus. These three are key figures in masonic symbolism/ritual..."
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

from_musings

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Nov 05, 2011, 12:06 AM
Don't trust anyone.

you're right , i often question what they say when they try too appear better than they are. when someone is lying, it's usually when someone has the desire to appear better than they really are. but to fuck around with symbolism and hidden messages as an artist is something that would increase their artistic aura. so i don't understand why they would lie to seem "worse" in this case?