Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chino quote

Started by davetonez, Jan 13, 2011, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davetonez

I was wondering if anyone knew the origins of this quote, or whether Chino actually said it? I came across it on songmeanings.net on the Pink Maggit page, but I've never been able to find it anywhere else. It's a great quote so I hope it's real.

"A lot of artists try to make songs for the kids who are tormented in school, telling them it's okay to be tormented. But it's not okay. Don't be lazy, don't be ridiculed. Become the leader of your surroundings. Confidence is one of the most important things in life, if you are confident, you can do whatever you want."

bodywars9000

I've never heard that exact one, but it's most likely  him, or someone interpreting his words.He says something almost identical in the mtv interview preceding thier performance at mtv studios right after white pony came out. It's on the dvd portion of b-sides.

sing blue silver

reminds me of this interview which i think bodywars was refering to as well. i'm too lazy to go through it right now and look for myself so here ya go.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7733327538072656147#

Starz

That confidence stuff doesn't sound like something he'd say and I know him soooo well.

nineteen

Could have been him when they were trying to shake off the Nu-Metal tag.

davetonez

Yeah, I've seen that similar quote on the B-Sides and Rarities DVD... The rest of that video was interesting, I wish Incubus didn't change so much. Make Yourself is an excellent album.

I'm thinking it may not be an official quote, it'd have to be published somewhere, right?

Frequency_Chemist

Quote from: davetonez on Jan 14, 2011, 03:52 AM
Yeah, I've seen that similar quote on the B-Sides and Rarities DVD... The rest of that video was interesting, I wish Incubus didn't change so much. Make Yourself is an excellent album.

I'm thinking it may not be an official quote, it'd have to be published somewhere, right?

I'm totally with you on Incubus. I mean I don't mind growth, but they just compelety changed up. I don't dislike them or anything, but Make Youself was truely awesome. Plus I will always be a fan of Mike's guitar work. His solos were fucking sick on Crow Left Of the Murder, but I think Brandon's melodies on that album sucked.

bodywars9000

I think success went to their heads. Brandon specifically.
I remember seeing their CD "Light Grenades"(what a pretentious fucking title to begin with), turning it over and seeing a big close up of Brandon's face. I couldn't help but laugh.
S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is still awesome, and make yourself is really good as well, it just got kinda played out for me.
They are total tools now.

davetonez

S.C.I.E.N.C.E and Make Yourself are amazing. I think there was one song on a Crow Left Of the Murder that I liked, but the band has definitely changed. Do they even play their old stuff live?

Caín

The quote is from an White Pony era interview, where Chino gave a brief description of each song. I remember it specifically, because back then I printed that quote and hung it up my bedroom wall.

saltinut1

god i really want an incubus and deftones tour!!!!
Quote from: Penicks on Mar 25, 2010, 06:09 PM
DEY ONLEY REALEASE DIDMAOND ASS N ROKET SKATE SO HWO DUD U GET IT??????
Quote from: Penicks on Jan 05, 2011, 05:01 PM
it sino bein sad cuz wendys woz al out of hambruges

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

I think he said " be yourself"or "if you think you're cool, you are cool" and walk around and just be happy and excited about life", is that possibly what you are referring to? I believe that was the MTV interview on the stage with some chick or whatever. All i remember about Chino advice as far as that goes because it stood out for me till this day. I thought it was a really cool and inspiring message in a way because I was about 19 or so....
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

davetonez

Quote from: Caín on Jan 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
The quote is from an White Pony era interview, where Chino gave a brief description of each song. I remember it specifically, because back then I printed that quote and hung it up my bedroom wall.

I used it for a speech at uni last year, luckily the teacher for that class was pretty lazy so a proper bibliography wasn't needed

pinkmaggit

I love Chino's quote on the b-sides DVD about how you're only as cool as you think you are.
Now that's cool!

kurtone

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Jan 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
I think he said " be yourself"or "if you think you're cool, you are cool" and walk around and just be happy and excited about life", is that possibly what you are referring to? I believe that was the MTV interview on the stage with some chick or whatever. All i remember about Chino advice as far as that goes because it stood out for me till this day. I thought it was a really cool and inspiring message in a way because I was about 19 or so....

it was on muchmusic, i looked for it on youtube but all i could find were the three songs they performed

Vesanic

pinkmaggit

Vesanic

Hahaha, had never noticed, 2:12 in the second part, Chi: " Hey, Linus, shut the fuck up ! "

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

yep, that was it. Muchmusic. Great inspiration for death metal heads to consider who call Def fans "artsy fags". Music is art by the way and you are only as cool as YOU think you are. Who cares what anyone else thinks, right? That pertains to people with shit replies on this forum, just ignore them and get on with the rest of your life. Fuck em. Thanks Chino and thanks V for finding it. ;)
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Vesanic