Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

oscar noms

Started by bright lights, big city, Jan 25, 2011, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blixa

"show us some proof, leo."

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 28, 2011, 04:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Franco. His demeanor was so dry, yet cool. I honestly liked him and Hathaway, even though teh interwebz are all bashing them. The thing with the fake music in movies was pretty good, and his subtle "Congratulations, nerds" comment after the visual effects awards was awesome. But why Kirk Douglas? Seeing him was more awkward than Dick Clark on this past New Year's Eve special.

And King's Speech. I found this quote, which basically sums up our argument:
QuoteThere were four (five, if you want to count the Coens individually) other directors nominated in this category whom I believe to be infinitely more deserving of the Oscar. Darren Aronofsky, David Fincher, the Coen brothers, and David O. Russell all made extraordinary movies this year that felt like they couldn't have been made by anyone else, because of the unique and innovative vision they each brought to their respective films. The King's Speech is a good movie, but anyone could've made it — hell, it could've been a TV movie. Tom Hooper basically just pointed the camera. He is not the Best Director of 2010, not by a long shot.

i thoroughly disagree. the king's speech is a phenomenal film. it was a simple movie with a lot of heart. that is what made it so endearing to people. the fact that this man was never meant to be king because he was second in line, had this terrible stammer and he reluctangly ends up with the gig and he has to rely on this slightly mad australian speech therapist. COME ON, MAN. it was simply beautiful. i think it was high time a film about stuttering won an oscar. and honestly, give tom hooper some credit. it would have been so easy to have made this film look like some damn dodgy period piece, but hooper gave this whole film a mad feel with people framed at odd angles in the corner of the screen. but this whole movie owns itself to the actors. geoffrey rush...i have nothing to say. the best thing our country has ever produced in my opinion. helena with that droll english humour and for the first time playing someone who isn't batshit crazy, and fuck, colin firth - playing someone who is a historical figure with a speech impediment is the kind of gig you do when you want an oscar BUT DAMN IT, DOES HE DESERVE ONE. he's an angry, uptight, broken guy slowly being glued back together. whenever he speaks you're just on the edge of your seat egging him to get it out.

like i've said before, aronofsky should have got one for the wrestler because that film was 10x better than black swan. the wrestler is a masterpiece.

bright lights, big city

Still ain't convincing me for Hooper. Nothing against him, he did the very good John Adams mini-series (which for some shitty reason I've heard went into the voters decision to award him this year). And I could see why it won best picture, even though it probably didn't crack my top 5. It told a good, heart-wearing, original, entertaining story. It also deservedly won the best original screenplay. Odd camera angles were kind of unique, I guess.

But the other movies were just so much more impressive than the Kings Speech. Fincher made a compelling film out of facebook. Facebook. He got absolutely great performances from his cast, and gave the movie a unique identity. I could probably argue every director other than Hooper could've won, but I don't really feel like thinking much right now. And how does Nolan not even get nominated? I'm partially just bitter because my 3 favorite directors are all still Oscar-less (Fincher, Tarantino, Nolan).

I still have the mindset that the King's Speech was a period piece.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

I need to get this in before it totally blows up because I know it will. But while watching the oscars, I came up with an idea that was talked about for awhile, and my friends all loved.... next year's host should totally be JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE. Think about it. He's a great entertainer who can bring laughs and your song & dance, that would please young and old.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Hahahahahaha That Gif image man LMAO It goes perfect with what I was listening now which is Bad Omen By Megadeth LMAO

bright lights, big city

hahahaha METAL! your welcome dude, I'm just WINNING over here.
DERP

blixa

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 01, 2011, 03:38 PM
I need to get this in before it totally blows up because I know it will. But while watching the oscars, I came up with an idea that was talked about for awhile, and my friends all loved.... next year's host should totally be JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE. Think about it. He's a great entertainer who can bring laughs and your song & dance, that would please young and old.

i can see that happening. he's very funny. when he did the "you know..." i almost pissed my pants. although i would love to see stephen colbert do it. i can watch colbert do anything actually. i enjoy him that much.

bright lights, big city

I could see him being relentless with his jokes on Hollywood celebs. He would totally work. And he wouldn't get influenced by the show's producers at all.
DERP

blixa

godless sodomites hahaha

ricky gervais too. he turns boring events into fun ones.

bright lights, big city

DERP

blixa

hahaha i wish they would've done that script. imagine the controversy.

bright lights, big city

yeah I really can't get enough of Gervais. You would think they would get him to host the British Oscars or something, with him and Merchant and Pilkington coming up with jokes.

speaking of him and his crew, have you seen An Idiot Abroad?
DERP

blixa

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 02, 2011, 06:50 PM
yeah I really can't get enough of Gervais. You would think they would get him to host the British Oscars or something, with him and Merchant and Pilkington coming up with jokes.

speaking of him and his crew, have you seen An Idiot Abroad?

you mean the baftas? hahha "british oscars".

i haven't seen an idiot abroad yet. any good?

bright lights, big city

baftas, that's it. british oscars are basically what they are, you know that. an idiot abroad is awesome, ricky gervais and stephen merchant are barely in it but they send their moronic friend karl pilkington around the world to see the wonders of the world.
DERP

blixa

karl isn't moronic! i like him so much. isn't he super against leaving england and travelling? hahaha oh, jesus.

Crazylegs

Have you heard any of their podcasts blixa, he's definitely educationally subnormal. I don't think there's a single thing in the world he can get enthusiastic about.

blixa

Quote from: Crazylegs on Mar 06, 2011, 03:11 PM
Have you heard any of their podcasts blixa, he's definitely educationally subnormal. I don't think there's a single thing in the world he can get enthusiastic about.

my friend actually burnt all their podcasts for me, which i haven't listened to yet. i don't think he's actually moronic. there's always something people are usually smart about that isn't related to conventional education.