Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Letlive (Yes, they try hard to be Glassjaw...though actually succeeding at it?)

Started by Slacker, Jan 26, 2011, 05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quite sure I'm one of a tiny number of people on this forum who likes letlive., but anyway. New album called 'If I'm the Devil...' out on the 10th of June, and new song called 'Good Mourning, America' released. Also tracklist and album cover:

http://www.upsetmagazine.com/listen/letlive-to-release-if-im-the-devil-on-june-10th/

isisdeftonesmastodon

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 06, 2016, 12:52 PM
Quite sure I'm one of a tiny number of people on this forum who likes letlive., but anyway. New album called 'If I'm the Devil...' out on the 10th of June, and new song called 'Good Mourning, America' released. Also tracklist and album cover:

http://www.upsetmagazine.com/listen/letlive-to-release-if-im-the-devil-on-june-10th/

No, you're not alone!

Btw., the first single sounds amazing.

LG95

New song's pretty good, really looking forward to this album. Last record could have been outstanding if the production was better. Great band.
I could float here forever

ANattyRat

They said they wanted a more raw and 'live sound' on the last album, so that's why it sounded that way, I think. But I doubt they'll repeat themselves exactly this time around. I like the song, at first I wasn't sure about it, but it still packs a lot of punch, especially towards the end.

Oh, and pre-orders/new merch is available on their stores now.

illthrowROCKS@U

Definitely not alone.  letlive. are amazing.  I've been in love ever since I first heard Fake History.  I was slightly let down by The Blackest Beautiful, only by comparison to something as amazing as Fake History.

Really excited for the new album.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 07, 2016, 03:43 AM
They said they wanted a more raw and 'live sound' on the last album, so that's why it sounded that way, I think. But I doubt they'll repeat themselves exactly this time around. I like the song, at first I wasn't sure about it, but it still packs a lot of punch, especially towards the end.

Oh, and pre-orders/new merch is available on their stores now.
You can have a more raw sounding production without murdering the sound of the guitars and drums and over-producing the vocals. It's a shame because the actual songs were killer; with better production, TBB could have been amazing.

ANattyRat

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 07, 2016, 06:12 AM

Definitely not alone.  letlive. are amazing.  I've been in love ever since I first heard Fake History.  I was slightly let down by The Blackest Beautiful, only by comparison to something as amazing as Fake History.

Really excited for the new album.

I prefer The Blackest Beautiful to Fake History. Took me a while to really appreciate Fake History for some reason, but I do love it. I think Jason says he does more singing than screaming on this album, but that a lot of the music is the heaviest stuff they've done, so should be interesting to hear that as well as the influences of other genres.

I'm seeing them in Manchester later this month, so I'm very excited anyway, haven't seen them since late 2013.

Diplo

I hate the singer but I'm quite enjoying the new song. It's weird...

ANattyRat

Quote from: Diplo on Apr 07, 2016, 08:03 PM

Hate him as a vocalist, or hate him as a person because he's trying to be like Daryl? Haha.

RaptureWS

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 08, 2016, 12:02 AM

Hate him as a vocalist, or hate him as a person because he's trying to be like Daryl? Haha.

LOL Jason is very intelligent and well spoken. He does not at all seem like the type of person that is trying to BE anyone else but himself.

Then you hear Fake History........Glassjaw reborn. I fucking loved it though. Worship is my favorite GJ album but it was cool to hear a spiritual successor to EYEWTKAS 10 years later.

On TBB and this new track he moved away from the Daryl emulation and went towards a more Michael Jackson emulation. In an interview posted a couple days ago he even said he literally tries to sound like MJ on every song at first. If it works, great! If not, he'll change it.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

ANattyRat

Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 08, 2016, 12:16 AM

LOL Jason is very intelligent and well spoken. He does not at all seem like the type of person that is trying to BE anyone else but himself.

Then you hear Fake History........Glassjaw reborn. I fucking loved it though. Worship is my favorite GJ album but it was cool to hear a spiritual successor to EYEWTKAS 10 years later.

On TBB and this new track he moved away from the Daryl emulation and went towards a more Michael Jackson emulation. In an interview posted a couple days ago he even said he literally tries to sound like MJ on every song at first. If it works, great! If not, he'll change it.

Oh, I know that, but when someone says they hate Jason/letlive., I automatically assume it's because of the Glassjaw/Daryl thing, haha. It can definitely come across the wrong way for people, and I get it. Maybe they did try too much to sound like them at first, but they've for sure tried to expand their sound, incorporate other genres and influences since Fake History.

Yeah, I read an interview where Jason said they had a bunch of arguments at the start of writing this new album, because some wanted to write just rock, some wanted to write just punk, and Jason wanted to channel his inner Kanye, haha. Sounds like they managed to take elements from all their influences though, which is cool.

RaptureWS

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 08, 2016, 01:46 AM
Quote from: RaptureWS on Apr 08, 2016, 12:16 AM

Oh, I know that, but when someone says they hate Jason/letlive., I automatically assume it's because of the Glassjaw/Daryl thing, haha. It can definitely come across the wrong way for people, and I get it. Maybe they did try too much to sound like them at first, but they've for sure tried to expand their sound, incorporate other genres and influences since Fake History.

Yeah, I read an interview where Jason said they had a bunch of arguments at the start of writing this new album, because some wanted to write just rock, some wanted to write just punk, and Jason wanted to channel his inner Kanye, haha. Sounds like they managed to take elements from all their influences though, which is cool.

Oh for sure man! I get it too I guess. Some people really have a hard time appreciating music that sounds like a "ripoff"..... but Fake History was recorded 10 or more years after Silence, and that style of post hardcore was (and still is really) all but dead. Considering GJ never wrote a EYEWTKAS Pt2 I am SO glad someone kind of did (minus the screaming about whores).

Nowadays IDGAF who they are influenced by or if they are even conciously attempting to sound like someone else because everything they touch is fucking gold. So excited for that new album! Probably my third favorite band. (Deftones, Glassjaw)

ANattyRat

Yeah, I agree. I think they're trying less to consciously sound like this or that though. Probably a lot of musicians can get caught up in that, I'd probably make a band just to sound like my favourite bands to be honest, haha.

For me, letlive. are my favourite after Deftones. I love Glassjaw, but dudes don't have enough music, you know? I'm really happy they've also got new music coming out (hopefully soon) though, it's long overdue.

Robotsatemygrandma

I enjoyed letlive's album, Fake History, man that thing had some bangers on there! But I don't know what happened, they just lost it. I know they had some lineup changes which will affect their music. Such a shame, I had high hopes for them then the Blackest Beautiful happened and I was just done. This new single just cements the coffin even more.

LG95

The Blackest Beautiful was brilliant! The production unfortunately killed it a bit.

E-Money

I feel like the new song could be a Papa Roach song... Not feeling it at all.

LG95

Dan Carter just played a new song called Reluctantly Dead on his show.

It's pretty good; not bad, not amazing either.

elite54

i haven't liked anything they have done since fake history except 27 club (keith buckley version). terrible chorus on this, I agree.

RaptureWS

The album leaked. I appreciate what they are trying to do but I just don't think I dig it. There are acouple good songs and a couple good parts elsewhere but I am pretty disappointed overall. Just another reminder as to why I adore Deftones so much. Not only are they my favorite band because of their sound but they have never disappointed me. Hopefully this album finds an audience for LL though. Great band and great people.