Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Albums of the Week 2011, week 2

Started by E-Money, Feb 14, 2011, 07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Money

Sup fellow Sharing Lungers.  Glad we started this up agin.  Got some great new music last time around.  Sorry it took me a while to get these up, and sorry for the short descriptions.  I gotta do this quick, life has been really busy lately with my new job.

Dumbo Gets Mad - Elephants At The Door

http://badpandarecords.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/dumbo-gets-mad-lp-on-bad-panda/

Finally got around to listening to this for the first time the other day and wow its really good.  Some great psychedelica mixed with some minor electronics.  I don't know much about the band yet, I'm very new to them.  I was introduced to their track Plumy Tale late last year and fell in love with it.  I'm sure a lot of you guys will love this.  Some of the vocals remind me a little of MGMT and maybe even Tame Impala.  Dig on it, cuz its sick.

Warpaint- The Fool

http://www.mediafire.com/?85w6zz7vgta25cc

I'm not really into too many all female bands... but these chicks kick ass.  This is one of my favorite records from last year.  Its pretty chill.  Great musicianship and fantastic sounding drums IMO.  Shadows is probably my favorite track.  I absolutely love it.  

CFCF - Continent

http://www.mediafire.com/?agdvzkxzrjm

I love everything about this record.  Some beautiful electronica right here.  Amazing synths, loops, drum patterns, and piano.  This record will definitely take you places if your in the right state of mind :)  A lot of songs start off really mellow and build into these huge beautiful layered adventures.  I'm pretty sure I put this up as one of my favorite records of 2010.  Just picked it up on vinyl last week and it sounds beautiful.  Even if your not huge into electronica still give it a chance.  Its not dancy or anything.  Monolith is probably my favorite track.  

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing....

http://www.mediafire.com/?yynzayzjomo

Sorry guys for putting an album up that I'm sure most of you know of.  This is one of my favorite records of all time.  I put it right up there with White Pony for me.  I try to pass this records along to everyone I can.  I recently introduced Vesanic to Shadow and I've turned him into a life long fan.  Shadow is pretty much the best in the biz.  This album was made in 96 and is made entirely from samples.  Time magazine rated it in the top 100 most creative albums of all time.  I hope at least one of you hasn't heard it before and will fall in love with it like I have.  Its got everything on it.  Trip Hop, funk, soul, jazz, hip hop, and its all blended to perfection.  If you've been sleeping on this one please check it out.  I was fortunate enough to see him last november.  It was by far my favorite show of the year, and I saw some fantastic gigs last year.  

A-1 - After School Special

http://www.mediafire.com/?82n4a5r6lr5unip

I'm a sucker for concept records.  This dude A-1 is pretty ill.  He's a rapper from San Francisco and he's actually pretty legit.  This record is completely built around 90's pop culture.  He samples everything from the Price is Right, Pokemon, ALL THAT, Family Matters, Reading Rainbow.  Its just a fun record.  Not meant to be taken very seriously.  He's by no means the best MC out there but I enjoyed this mixtape.  If you can relate to the 90's like I do then you'll probably enjoy it.  I guess its just a fun record to cruise around to or maybe bump at a party.  You'll definitely get some good laughs out of it.

Enjoy, Peace.

bright lights, big city

gonna check out all the above. honestly haven't heard the Shadow. and that MGMT reference gives me really high hopes for Dumbo Gets Mad.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

E-Money

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
gonna check out all the above. honestly haven't heard the Shadow. and that MGMT reference gives me really high hopes for Dumbo Gets Mad.

Bright Lights I have no doubt u will love Dumbo Gets Mad and the DJ Shadow!  Enjoy bro! 

pinkmaggit69

Thanks!  Never heard of CFCF.  Loving it so far!

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Crazylegs

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
gonna check out all the above. honestly haven't heard the Shadow.
this goes for me too

E-Money

bright lights, big city

so far Warpaint's the only one I couldn't get into. But otherwise, this albums of the week business has been worthwhile. Dumbo and A-1 (you didn't even mention Golden Girls, my favorite track by far on that mixtape) are so phenominal I haven't been able to go in depth with DJ Shadow and CFCF.

But from what I have given a shot of those 2, I can't wait till this weekend to give them multiple listens.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

E-Money

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Feb 14, 2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks!  Never heard of CFCF.  Loving it so far!

Awesome!  Glad your enjoying it!
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 16, 2011, 05:08 PM
so far Warpaint's the only one I couldn't get into. But otherwise, this albums of the week business has been worthwhile. Dumbo and A-1 (you didn't even mention Golden Girls, my favorite track by far on that mixtape) are so phenominal I haven't been able to go in depth with DJ Shadow and CFCF.

But from what I have given a shot of those 2, I can't wait till this weekend to give them multiple listens.

Cool, I can see how Warpaint wouldn't be for everyone.  Kinda thought u would dig it tho... But Glad your enjoying Dumbo and A-1, and yea probably should have mentioned golden girls lol.  But dig into the Shadow bro.  I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do! 

Crazylegs

dj shadow album was pretty good. Listening to cfcf now, and it's sounding very good.

edit* the cfcf album was tight.

E-Money

Quote from: Crazylegs on Feb 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
dj shadow album was pretty good. Listening to cfcf now, and it's sounding very good.

edit* the cfcf album was tight.

glad your enjoying CFCF! 

check out this sampler for the new bibio record,  wow it sounds amazing, can't wait!!

Bibio - Mind Bokeh (Album Sampler) - see http://warp.net/bibio

Crazylegs

lostpilot

bright lights, big city

go for it, looking forward to your picks

in other news, the A-1 album is the titties, I can't get enough of it. I really need to find more of his shit.
DERP