Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones cancelled their show in Bangkok = Riots

Started by Vesanic, Feb 15, 2011, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

Due to some technical problems, Deftones will not perform tonight at the Bangkok Thunder Dome. As you can see on these pictures, fans are not happy:

Starz

Rxx

I bet they did it all while listening to Rocket Skates!! :D

There Will Be Blood

Damn that sucks. Hope that doesn't happen to me on may 22nd!!!

deftones86

tarkil

Wow shit !! I'm somehow glad I didn't book flight + ticket for that show...
I'm really wondering what happened though... I'll try to get some info tomorrow if I can !

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

mono

holy shit! hope deftones really plays at lollapalooza in my country haha.

Sugartolove

Deftones Live in Bangkok

Deftones released a blog about it today  -

QuoteBangkok Show Cancelled

Due to local power issues that threatened the safety of the band and their fans, Deftones were forced to cancel their show last night at the Thunderdome in Bangkok, Thailand.  Deftones would like to apologize to those that were inconvenienced and hope to return to Thailand in the near future.  Refund info to follow soon.

A girl I spoke to on my Chi page today said to me she had waited for 13 years... Others said they had flown in from all over the country...
I know I'd be extremely disappointed...  Rioting might not be the way to get Deftones to come back though....

sing blue silver

What were these power issues? What exactly lead to them saying no we can't do this and this problem cannot be fixed?

nineteen

Local power issues, as in electricity?

Dumb question but y'know, how could somewhere be that unsafe?

There Will Be Blood

chino should have came out with a acoustic guitar to calm the crowd down  lol

sing blue silver

so they've been really vague with what the exact reasons were. sounds to me like they just wanted the night off or something. all we've gotten is electrical problems and safety concerns. please elaborate? i think the people of bangkok deserve an explanation.

actually i don't think they deserve much of anything after their behavior but still. for the fans that didn't riot, they should give some sort of reason. also if they'd taken the time to explain the problem in the first place, there wouldn't have been such a backlash.

the same sound

Quote from: gunsrazorsknives on Feb 15, 2011, 08:55 PM
chino should have came out with a acoustic guitar to calm the crowd down  lol

Hahahahah

Vesanic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_en_mu/as_thailand_deftones

BANGKOK – Angry concertgoers hurled chairs and broke windows after the Grammy-winning American rock band the Deftones called off their show at a Bangkok stadium claiming the arena's electrical power was unsafe.

Tuesday's concert at the Thunderdome arena was scheduled to start at 8 p.m., but organizers announced at around 9:30 p.m. that the show was canceled due to electrical problems, prompting an angry outburst by some fans who were waiting outside.

A few hundred fans "started throwing bottles at the stadium building, breaking windows and vandalizing tents and beer booths outside the venue. Some of the tents were set on fire," said police Lt. Tawatchai Jongyingcharoen.

He said that by the time police arrived, the ruckus had stopped. Nobody was injured or detained.

Early Wednesday, the Deftones posted an apology on their website and Facebook page.

"Due to local power issues that threatened the safety of the band and their fans, Deftones were forced to cancel their show last night at the Thunderdome in Bangkok, Thailand. Deftones would like to apologize to those that were inconvenienced and hope to return to Thailand in the near future. Refund info to follow soon," the band said.

Pakarn Kiatpinyo, a 27-year-old Thai musician who was at the event, said he blamed organizers.

"As a musician, I understand 100 percent why the band didn't want to play. I blame the concert organizers for not being professional enough to prepare the equipment."

"I've been waiting to see this band for 10 years," he said. "I was disappointed."

The Deftones came together in Sacramento in 1988 and released their first album in 1995 on Madonna's Maverick Records label. A song on their 2000 album "White Pony" earned the band a Grammy Award for best metal performance.

The Bangkok show was part of a tour to promote their latest album, "Diamond Eyes." The band was scheduled to play in Singapore on Wednesday night.

Vesanic

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/play/bangkok-concertgoers-riot-over-cancelled-deftones-show-330282

U.S. rockers the Deftones caused a small riot at Bangkok's Thunder Dome Tuesday night after canceling their scheduled concert an hour and a half after they were supposed to hit the stage. 

According to concert-goers, an announcement was made at about 9:30 p.m. to ticket holders waiting outside that the band was unable to perform due to issues with the sound system at the Nonthaburi venue.

Though most ticket holders reportedly left as soon as they heard the show wouldn't take place, a few hundred reacted violently to the news.

"People started booing and throwing water bottles and glasses when they heard that the band wasn't playing," says Kuldiluk Nakplueng, one of several thousand concert-goers waiting outside.

"Then they started chucking chairs and tables from the Singha beer area and knocking down tents. From there it just got worse and people even started to burn stuff and break windows."

Shortly after, dozens of police arrived on the scene to disperse the crowd, he says.

Some fans reportedly showed up as early as 4:30 p.m., many traveling from all over Thailand to hear the Grammy-winning Deftones perform. Concert staff told ticket holders they could return their tickets to Thaicketmajor.com for a full refund. 

Early Wednesday morning, a statement was posted on the band's Facebook page: "Due to local power issues that threatened the safety of the band and their fans, Deftones were forced to cancel their show last night at the Thunderdome in Bangkok, Thailand. Deftones would like to apologize to those that were inconvenienced and hope to return to Thailand in the near future."