Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

TV Series

Started by black coffee, Feb 22, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
Archer is fucking hilarious. Pretty much everything FX puts out is quality, other than Justified. I'm so glad I checked this thread because it inspired me to finally start watching The Wire. Such an amazing show. I downloaded the 1st season and only planned on watching 1 or 2 episodes. A sleepless night later and I'm almost done with the first season. I agree with some of the earlier posts. I can't believe it was never nominated for an Emmy. However, I don't think it's the best show ever on television. That title goes to Breaking Bad without question.
Damn, I'm such a contrarian on here today. I'm in with The Wire being #1 camp. But I'll give you Breaking Bad, it might be my #2. It's at least the best show on TV currently.

But I'm not gonna sit idly by and watch someone throw a dis at Justified! Fucking love that show. Great writing, acting (maybe a certain female cast member could be done without, but whatever), and it's up there with Breaking Bad as far as dark comedies go. Also it does the multiple-villains-per-season plotlines a lot better than Sons of Anarchy. Just my opinion.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

jbmp1390

I don't think Justified is bad. I just think it took a quite dip in quality from 1st to 2nd season. The 1st season is fantastic. And we seem to agree about a certain female character on that show.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

chick de la lynch

I don't know how I could choose between Breaking Bad and The Wire. Both are amazing shows and both deal with the drug world. It's very hard to choose one. This is causing my head to spin. I might have a definitive answer once I finish The Wire

Justified will probably be the next show I watch. I feel like for the past ten years I've been behind on watching good television. The past year has been devoted to catching up on it.

Prior to watching The Wire, I got caught up with Downton Abbey (A complete 180). Great show, great cast, great characters. I never thought I would find watching rich, British people doing distasteful things so damn riveting!

bright lights, big city

They are close now that I think about it more. Most of what I would argue for The Wire you can say the same with Breaking Bad. The writing, the acting, the ability to make characters go from good guys to villains, or go from bad to sympathetic (Bodie is a prime example for me of a guy I ended up caring about). Both shows also have characters that can die at any moment, which is awesome. What can I say, death fascinates me.

The Wire just juggled it with cast 10 times the size of BB, and had guys like George Pelecanos and Dennis Lehane involved in some of the writing. Anyone looking for some good crime books, go check out George Pelecanos.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Penicks

i have been watching the office recently, first the uk series which i loved

but jesus, the us version is so much better

i mean, its humour is not as subtle but the characters are much more fleshed out

what a beautiful love story they're telling (i'm only at season 3), good good stuff and very recognizable

Crazylegs

Quote from: Penicks on Jul 18, 2012, 07:47 PM

are you trolling me right now?

chick de la lynch

I have to agree with Penicks. Maybe if I saw the UK version first I might find it better but the UK version just rubs me the wrong way. That, and the US version had Amy Ryan AND Idris Elba (The Wire) in it. Can you say the same about the UK version? Can you?

lostpilot

but come on, Archer is not THAT good. Yes, it can be hilarious sometimes but not all the time.

I need new series.
Checked out:
Continuum - the pilot did not get me going.
Terra Nova - pretty good, planning to continue watching.
Arrested Development - does it get better later on? Cause the first couple of episodes weren't that good.
Eureka - a little too cheesy sometimes but watchable. Planned to continue watching.

Penicks

Quote from: Crazylegs on Jul 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
Quote from: Penicks on Jul 18, 2012, 07:47 PM

are you trolling me right now?

nope, and i love ricky gervais

i guess they're not really comparable because the uk series is so short, but something about the us series makes me fall in love with it. i watched the entire season two in one night. ONE NIGHT

chick de la lynch

Quote from: lostpilot on Jul 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
Arrested Development - does it get better later on? Cause the first couple of episodes weren't that good.

I fell in love with it after the first episode. It gets funnier, but I feel if you're not into it now then you're just not into it.

bright lights, big city

Wait until you get to about season 5 of the US version of The Office. It begins to get terrible, fast.

Darius, if you want comedies, keep Arrested Development going. It's one of my favorites. If want others, maybe you'd like Party Down, Louie, Wilfred, Workaholics.
DERP

tarkil

Quote from: lostpilot on Jul 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
but come on, Archer is not THAT good. Yes, it can be hilarious sometimes but not all the time.

I need new series.
Checked out:
Continuum - the pilot did not get me going.
Terra Nova - pretty good, planning to continue watching.
Eureka - a little too cheesy sometimes but watchable. Planned to continue watching.

Terra Nova is not great. You'll see by yourself soon anyway.

Keep going with Arrested Development (as everyone else said), it really is hilarious !!

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

lostpilot

well alright I will continue trying to get into Arrested Development.
And check some other shows too :-)

Penicks

holy shit i am so in love with pam of the office

that smile

that softness

what a woman

lostpilot

oh and I forgot

EVERYONE.

SHAMELESS. it's awesome. I absolutely love Sheila. The actress does SUCH a good job at a character.

lostpilot

and, everyone, also.

ADVENTURE TIME.

black coffee

my most recent discoveries are Children's Hospital and NTSF SD SUV

I am crying from laughter, this is just hilarious

NTSF:SD:SUV - THE BEST ACTION SHOW NOT YET ON TELEVISION

bright lights, big city

Quote from: lostpilot on Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
and, everyone, also.

ADVENTURE TIME.
Such a good show. But what about Regular Show? That's my preference. Muscle Man is the best.
DERP

chick de la lynch

I watched Children's Hospital but I wasn't impressed with it. Then again, I was higher than hell and the guy in the clown make-up scared me.  :(

lostpilot

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 19, 2012, 05:04 AM
Quote from: lostpilot on Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
and, everyone, also.

ADVENTURE TIME.
Such a good show. But what about Regular Show? That's my preference. Muscle Man is the best.

Can't say I tried watching Regular Show. If it is just as colorful, playful, "wtf" and sometimes surreal - then yes. What I really like about Adventure Time is how there's usually a hidden "value play" in the episodes. And it's super fun.