Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

TV Series

Started by black coffee, Feb 22, 2011, 08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black coffee

Just thought we could need a place to discuss tv series as well!

So I've started with Kings , which convinced me in an instant! It's loosely based on the Biblical Story of King David. That's what I call intelligent television.

I heard FlashForward is supposed to be good as well. Anyone seen it and can maybe say something about it?

Community is something else I wanted to check out. Opinions on it?

Too bad I'm not really getting into Mad Men. Watched 4 episodes and it hasn't really pulled me in yet. Is it getting better with the 2nd season maybe?

theis

Quote from: black coffee on Feb 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
Community is something else I wanted to check out. Opinions on it?

I love Community. Great cast, great humor and the character of Annie (Alison Brie) is my absolute dream girl. She's just perfect...excluding her neurotic elements.

Favorite shows:

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Californication
Twin Peaks
Sons of Anarchy
The Office (US)
Community
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Undeclared
Freaks and Geeks

New favorites:
PARTY DOWN (so awesome)
Parks and Recreation
The Walking Dead

bright lights, big city

If you just stick with Mad Men, I'm sure you'll come around. Finish season 1, it'll get good, you'll get addicted, don't worry.

Community, I can;t recommend enough. The entire cast is perfect (Annie's neuroticism makes her even hotter!), even the random recurring supporting characters are great. Its writing and pop culture references are genius, and they get really creative with some episodes, spoofing other shows and movies. Enjoy it while lasts, because there's a rumor NBC might kill it after this season. Its 2nd season might be the best comedy we have this year. (Yes this season is better than the recent seasons of 30 Rock, Philadelphia, Archer, Parks/Rec).

Flash Forward, I gave a shot, mostly because Dominic Monaghan was in it after he left Lost. IMO it sucked balls. It just didn't go anywhere, got boring, and I gave up after about 3 episodes. Apparently, ABC rightfully gave up a couple months later.

And yeah Kings should still be on the air.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

and I've said this a hundred on here before about The Wire, but it is the best show of all time. It's criminal how many people have never even watched it.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

poofing acid

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
and I've said this a hundred on here before about The Wire, but it is the best show of all time. It's criminal how many people have never even watched it.

Crazylegs

Only one show can top the wire. And ya'll know what it is.

poofing acid

Quote from: Crazylegs on Feb 22, 2011, 10:18 PM

Jersey Shore?

black coffee

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 22, 2011, 08:35 PM

I'm almost done with the season, which is too bad really.

The first episode of Flashforward was actually quite good! Hope it doesn't get worse from now on.

And I'm not so sure if Community is gonna be my thing. It'd be too bad, because I've been looking out for some good comedy series.
The League was rather lame for instance.

poofing acid

Don't watch flashforward.  I liked the show but it got cancelled and they left it on such a fucking cliffhanger I wanted to jihad abc headquarters.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Crazylegs on Feb 22, 2011, 10:18 PM

fuckin' OZ

bright lights, big city

Quote from: black coffee on Feb 23, 2011, 02:39 AM
oh man I really like that show. That group of friends reminds me so much of my friends. Plus I take fantasy football to the extreme, just like they do in the show.
DERP

chick de la lynch

Community, I can;t recommend enough. The entire cast is perfect (Annie's neuroticism makes her even hotter!), even the random recurring supporting characters are great. Its writing and pop culture references are genius, and they get really creative with some episodes, spoofing other shows and movies. Enjoy it while lasts, because there's a rumor NBC might kill it after this season. Its 2nd season might be the best comedy we have this year. (Yes this season is better than the recent seasons of 30 Rock, Philadelphia, Archer, Parks/Rec).

Perfect description. "I guess we're a doing a bottle episode!" Community is a great show for the geeks, and I say that with the utmost respect. It's a shame though that shows like Outsourced, The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men gets more viewers than Community.

Parks and Recreation doesn't get the full respect it deserves. It has a great cast of characters, and of course, Amy Pohler. 30 Rock has been rather lackluster this season, but I continue to watch it just because Liz Lemon is my twin sister from another mother.

bright lights, big city

My buddy's gf claims to be the real life incarnation of Liz Lemon. I say she's not since they're practically engaged. She says something about liking night cheese. I tell her she's dating the wrong dude.
DERP

chick de la lynch

Cheese is amazing, period. I have said this numerous times, but if I could, I would marry cheese. I find myself in a lot of Liz Lemon moments where I act like a total spaz in public or encounter similar man problems as she as. For a while I had a "Dennis" in my life. There are certain mannerisms I have that are similar to hers. It's hard to explain, but my brother on occasion calls me Liz Lemon. I related a lot to last week's episode.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Feb 23, 2011, 08:02 AM
Cheese is amazing, period.
I think I might have feelings for you. But, alas, you are a spinster with a cat named Emily Dickinson.
DERP

black coffee

Quote from: poofing acid on Feb 23, 2011, 02:45 AM
Don't watch flashforward.  I liked the show but it got cancelled and they left it on such a fucking cliffhanger I wanted to jihad abc headquarters.

Yep I read somewhere that the secret behind the blackout would be unveiled in the second season, which obviously never aired.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 23, 2011, 03:48 AM
Quote from: black coffee on Feb 23, 2011, 02:39 AM
oh man I really like that show. That group of friends reminds me so much of my friends. Plus I take fantasy football to the extreme, just like they do in the show.

To be fair, maybe I don't get most of the jokes, because I don't know any names of professional American Football players and also don't know the occasional ex-football player/trainer who gets a cameo in the show.

A similar problem that I had with The Big Band Theory, is that I didn't find any of the characters likable. Probably the funniest of the group is the stoner guy, but he's also too much of a stereotype as well. The idea behind the Eskimo family tree is brilliant, though.

Another recommendation I received - Do you know / what do you think of The Prisoner ( 2009 ) ?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
I think I might have feelings for you. But, alas, you are a spinster with a cat named Emily Dickinson.

I'd trade the cat for a Corgi named Ingmar Bergman.

blixa

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Feb 23, 2011, 08:26 AM

I PREDICTED THIS, YOU BITCHES!!!

lukas989

The buzz for The Event was pracitcally non-existent by the end of S1 here in the uk....did anyone here give it a go?  MYself and Mrs me thought it was good - always had a good chinwag after each episode (mainly me explaining what had happened).

blixa

misfits
luther
ashes to ashes - but i would suggest you watch life on mars first before ashes to ashes.