Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Earthquake/Tsunami in the Pacific

Started by Crazylegs, Mar 11, 2011, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

Shit is going down over in Japan, and the wave has probably reached other areas by now. I've been watching the news all day, such a fucking catastrophy. I hope none of you or your friends/family are in any of the places affected by this.

lostpilot

Yeah, I read about it all morning.. it's a shame.

Crazylegs

Absolutely. Luckily i heard that the wave had died down a whole lot, so it probably wouldn't create much damage anywhere else. Let's hope that's true.

poofing acid

Look for more shit to go down up to march 19. The moon is the closest in the past 18 years or so. Volcanoes are a lot cooler.

tarkil

I was talking with some colleagues from Tokyo when it happened, looks like it was quite impressive !!!
Some old japanese guy was saying that in all his life, he never felt such a strong one...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

There Will Be Blood

mr.sinister

My brother-in-law is a marine and he is stationed somewhere along Tokyo so I hope he is alright.

chick de la lynch

I was watching TV last night and there was a tsunami warning for Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Freaked me out since I live around the LA area. Nothing catastrophic has happened in California yet, but seeing these massive earthquakes is unnerving.

svjchtr

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Mar 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
I was watching TV last night and there was a tsunami warning for Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Freaked me out since I live around the LA area. Nothing catastrophic has happened in California yet, but seeing these massive earthquakes is unnerving.

I went down to the Santa Monica pier, there was just some people standing around looking and no waves :(

and yes, only a matter of time until a big earthquake flattens us, so these big earthquake stories are always a little freaky

chick de la lynch

Yeah, I heard all the beaches were closed today. Seems like the tsunami is going to just be a ripple in this area, but I heard on the news there is some unusual wave activity going on. One of my Facebook friends is currently stationed in Japan. Luckily she's in Okinawa so she was no where near the earthquake. Still frightening nevertheless.

devilinside

It's horrible,but they're still not in the clear. If they have a nuclear meltdown,they're FUCKED!

I have a friend that lives in Hawaii and her husband is stationed in Japan. She just recently was able to go home,they made everyone evacuate to higher ground. Luckily her husband is ok.

Variable

I asked.  All the Marine stationed in Japan are fine.  Most of them are on Okinawa, and the whole DOD system on Okinawa said it was all good.  Everyone else in 3rd MEF are all good and all accounted for and stuff.  So if you have any friends stationed in Japan, I think it's safe to assume they are fine.

I was also talking to my dad today about the "Nuclear Meltdown"  He worked for the Department Of Energy for 35 years and knows a thing or two about this.  He said that he may be proven wrong, but from what he has seen, he doesn't know what everyone is freaking out about.  He said that there are a bunch of "fail safes" put in place for this kind of thing and so far it doesn't look like anything has failed or any increase in radiation has been detected.  So I don't know.  It kind of seems like this may be the media just trying to hype shit up for ratings.  Maybe not though. 

Penicks

defskull

.....wow. First of all, I'm pretty sure Japan "got it coming" when America dropped two nukes in their country. Second of all, if they are going to reference history they should remember that Japan is in no way under the same rule as they were during World War II.  Fuck, these people make USA look bad.

Corleone

glad I don't live in America, what ignorance.

poofing acid

Quote from: Corleone on Mar 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
glad I don't live in America, what ignorance.

Because there aren't jackasses anywhere else in the world?

Corleone

Not everyone has the resources like America does. Sorry but as long as USA is a front runner in the world of politics and society, you will be scrutinized for dumb ignorant shit that you do (not you personally, just those people (^) Don't take it personal, I'm sure those were some hicks living in the middle of nowhere that somehow got access to facebook.

devilinside

Quote from: Variable on Mar 13, 2011, 12:42 AM
I asked.  All the Marine stationed in Japan are fine.  Most of them are on Okinawa, and the whole DOD system on Okinawa said it was all good.  Everyone else in 3rd MEF are all good and all accounted for and stuff.  So if you have any friends stationed in Japan, I think it's safe to assume they are fine.

I was also talking to my dad today about the "Nuclear Meltdown"  He worked for the Department Of Energy for 35 years and knows a thing or two about this.  He said that he may be proven wrong, but from what he has seen, he doesn't know what everyone is freaking out about.  He said that there are a bunch of "fail safes" put in place for this kind of thing and so far it doesn't look like anything has failed or any increase in radiation has been detected.  So I don't know.  It kind of seems like this may be the media just trying to hype shit up for ratings.  Maybe not though. 

My husband,who works for TVA (one of the leading producers of energy in the US),said that's true and nobody's gonna die from this,but its a big impact on the regulatory aspect of it. Same thing happened with 3 mile island and chernobyl.

lostpilot

Holy shit. Fucking americans, so ignorant.
Obviously, generalizing should be avoided but these are not the prime example of a perfect american.

poofing acid

Quote from: Corleone on Mar 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
Not everyone has the resources like America does. Sorry but as long as USA is a front runner in the world of politics and society, you will be scrutinized for dumb ignorant shit that you do (not you personally, just those people (^) Don't take it personal, I'm sure those were some hicks living in the middle of nowhere that somehow got access to facebook.

So since we are the front runners for everything, we are awesome.  And you can't handle awesome so you say you're glad you don't live there?