Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Album Covers

Started by Jerry_Curls, Mar 17, 2011, 12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry_Curls

What are your favorite album/ep/single covers? The album doesn't have to be your favorite (well that helps) but this is more of a topic to discuss the packaging, not the content.

edit: As soon I pressed submit, I think I remember another topic similar to this one...whoops

5 album covers I like:

1.my bloody valentine - Loveless

I love the bold use of pink and the washed out look of the guitar. The music on this album sounds like it isn't made up of instruments. I see a guitar, but I don't hear JUST a guitar. I hear more. The cover perfectly sums up what the album does to my brain.

2. Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

This album cover just looks scary. You get the feeling of something dark, bleak, cold. This is the type of album cover that makes you want to dive head first into whatever genre it represents. Plus, I'm a horror film nut, so anything to do with horror, I love. I also love the typography of the band name and single.

3. New Order - Power, Corruption and Lies

I'm not sure if the original artwork omits the band name and title, but I prefer it this way. I love any album art that doesn't include any words. It keeps the music more of mystery. Who is it? What is the title? I also love the little color bricks in the corner. The beautiful, detailed flowers are interrupted slightly by the color-blocking. Makes me think there's a glitch in the painting.

4. Deftones - Around the Fur

This covers evokes a lot of memories for me. Summer time, youth, lust. I love how the photo makes me feel like I'm at the pool with them. I also like how the cover isn't a typical metal cover. It isn't meant to make you think "oh shit, this band looks heavy as fuck." It makes you question, "Is this a EDM album? dream pop? who knows?" It's an innocent picture of a girl at a pool, but just the right amount of wet cleavage  to make you get aroused.

5. Gatekeeper- GIZA

Looks like a fucking cheesy ass horror/sci-fi movie poster!
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

theis

(And every other cover painted by John Baizley. That man's a genius.)

mr.sinister

Wow I have so many that I love but here are a few.

I also really like the Jane Doe cover a lot. Will post some more later. These are just the ones that called out to me right now.

lostpilot

skinnypuppy

Crazylegs

[spoiler]
simple, reckognizable, beautiful, album isn't too bad either

so much going on, i used to study this cover every time i listened to it

[/spoiler]

mr.sinister

Ahh yes the In Rainbows album art is awesome especially inside the booklet where the lyrics are written. I also like the artwork for Vitalogy from Pearl Jam. You get that thick-ass booklet lool. Good stuff.

Livewire

Not sure why I like The Colour and the Shape.  Maybe because it's so simple.

Anything from Mastodon is awesome.

Death Magnetic makes for interesting packaging with the multiple die cuts.

Just imagine this cover with all that cracked leather texture embossed in.  In addition, instead of a booklet, the lyrics are printed on Tarot cards.

Them Crooked Vultures is one of my favorites because of its interesting typography.

examples:

Tool always has ridiculous album packaging.

Deftones-argentina

Good topic!

Generally I dislike landscape covers...but I simply love the colours on this one. The mix of orange-to-dark reflects a lot of the despair that is present on this record. Also, it's the record that turned me into a musician along with around the fur, so there's lots of subjetiveness on choosing it.

Don't know exactly what, but this record sets a moody, almost ambient feeling for the record. They almost did a statement with this artwork, like "hey kids, we're not doing only melo-death anymore"

again, something that challenged my prejudices; a black & white photo. Really into its texture. Also, I think it was quite an inteligent and unexpected move of dave to set him scratched in the background. The music is what really matters

sing blue silver

album art i enjoy... MEGA POST! (also include every mastodon cover, i just put leviathan since it's my favorite)

bright lights, big city

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

mr.sinister

Awesome you like Blackfield and Porcupine Tree? Some of my favorite stuff right there.

Here are some more album art I enjoy.

glassdomino

seriously, i think my favorite album artwork to date is Saturday Night Wrist. 

ben

Frequency_Chemist

lostpilot

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 21, 2011, 06:16 AM
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

this is absolutely excellent.

plus, sing blue silver, it's awesome that you put up "Silk Spaceport" cover here. I love that picture myself too :)

Crazylegs

your covers are always nice man.

lostpilot

well, it's both my and my photographer's fault.
She uses techniques that I just love (and we keep going to abstract zones recently). And I think I have a good eye for visual things and how themes go together with music. But from all all all of my covers, so far Silk Spaceport takes the crown.

and, thank you, of course :)

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Crazylegs on Mar 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
your covers are always nice man.
agreed. my favorite's probably constellations. looks simple but so beautiful.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

decapod