Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by poofing acid, Apr 20, 2011, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

from_musings

Quote from: Variable on Apr 30, 2011, 06:45 PM
Ha.  It's helped me in past relationships to suck up to the mom.  That way they aren't nagging at the daughter that you're a d-bag and they should break up with you.  Or they don't try to take up your girls time with family time on a friday night just to fuck with you or something.  

it seems you had healthy relations with the parents and thats great, but I'm just not gonna suck up to the parents and do boring shit ,im not dating them.i've only got so much energy and i'm using it on the girl i love .im not ben stiller in "meet the parents" for gods sake.

if the girl in a situation like this says that the guy she's with makes her happy, then i think most parents tend to listen and take a step back if the guy isn't like dangerous for her.personally i'm pretty harmless. if they don't care about her feelings and choices, and instead just go after what they think and do anything to fuck with the guy,then they're selfish a-holes who destroys for their own daugther (i may sound selfish now, but geez)
but i have never met those,knock on wood.i'm sure they're out there, but mostly in movies.

i'm just saying, we dont have to watch garbage on tv for half a day and fool ourselves and others that we like it and then talk about useless points, we could use that time to spend it with the girl and she can then talk about us in some selling way and make the parents calm the fuck down.

Quote from: poofing acid on Apr 30, 2011, 07:49 PM
How can someone not see the value of scoring points with a girlfriends mom?  

Could you elaborate on that please? did they pay for a trip to bahamas?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on May 01, 2011, 02:00 PM
Quote from: blixa on May 01, 2011, 01:20 PM
i really like william and kate. THEIR LOVE MAKES ME HAPPY.
well then you're not gonna like it when they get a royal divorce.

That made me giggle.

There should have been more Corgis involved in the Royal Wedding. That's all I'm saying.

Variable

If they really wanted to make some money in DVD sales, they would film the Royal conception of the next heir to the thrown.

Frequency_Chemist

Quote from: Variable on May 02, 2011, 12:21 AM
If they really wanted to make some money in DVD sales, they would film the Royal conception of the next heir to the thrown.

That's a pretty fucking good idea.

Variable

I know right?

So I know I could look this up for myself.  But I'm writing a research paper and really don't have the time.  But this convo sparked my curiosity.  I have never quite understood the modern day purpose of the Royal family and why the UK keeps them around?  Can anyone who actually knows what they're talking about answer that one for me?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on May 01, 2011, 07:51 PM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on May 01, 2011, 02:00 PM
Quote from: blixa on May 01, 2011, 01:20 PM
i really like william and kate. THEIR LOVE MAKES ME HAPPY.
well then you're not gonna like it when they get a royal divorce.

That made me giggle.

There should have been more Corgis involved in the Royal Wedding. That's all I'm saying.
THIS
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

THEY WON'T GET DIVORCED. LEAVE THEM ALONE, MARK. WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO RUIN OUR HAPPINESS!!!

Quote from: Variable on May 02, 2011, 02:12 AM
I know right?

So I know I could look this up for myself.  But I'm writing a research paper and really don't have the time.  But this convo sparked my curiosity.  I have never quite understood the modern day purpose of the Royal family and why the UK keeps them around?  Can anyone who actually knows what they're talking about answer that one for me?

they're more of a symbol of britain - the british culture and heritage is tied up with the monarchy. you will find that a lot of britons do want them around. the history of the royal family is a reminder of what it means to be british. plus the royal family and its heritage brings in more than £500m of revenue a year from overseas tourists (those are 2010 figures). which takes me back to this complaining about using £37 million of taypayers money for the wedding yet they forget that the taxpayer received £130 million from the crown estates.

if you're going to question anything it should be why countries like australia, canada, india etc are still under the monarchy when we have clearly established a culture of our own. as an australian, i don't know where i stand. i see some good arguments on both sides. the thing is the british culture is the culture of the majority of white australians, but even some of them are ardent republicans. we've literally got an entirely different sort of life/culture going on here in australia, but every time there's a royal in town we get giddy with excitement.

blixa

for the two corgis fanatics on this board. you know who you are.

Variable

lol yeah but what do they actually do?  Anything?  Do they have any power or influence or anything at all?

blixa

Quote from: Variable on May 02, 2011, 07:41 AM
lol yeah but what do they actually do?  Anything?  Do they have any power or influence or anything at all?

they don't have any political power per se. they did in the past. i guess in a way, they've become an institution. if i think of england i think of the royal family straight away. they're more of a symbol. look at those corgis, even they love the queen.

OH, MY FUCKING EAR IS THROBBING.

Variable

blixa

it literally is throbbing. it comes and goes though. i'm drinking white wine so i think it's really doing something to me.

Variable

mmmm I went wine tasting today.  It was great.  Not a big fan of white wine though.

Frequency_Chemist

Weird I actually had a couple glasses of white wine tonight and I never drink wine.

blixa

it's alright. i prefer beer though. and gin. and vodka. i've never had bourbon. i'm going to wait til i'm in america again to drink some southern comfort.

Variable

Gross.  You can do better than that for your first bourbon experience. 

I'm a big vodka drinker.  But lately I have really been getting into wine

blixa

but i saw norman reedus drinking southern comfort on the walking dead and i became intrigued.

Frequency_Chemist

Yeah it's definitely not my drink of choice. I usually drink beer, margaritas, or whiskey. I can't believe you've never had whiskey...that just seems crazy to me lol.

Variable

Quote from: blixa on May 02, 2011, 08:17 AM
but i saw norman reedus drinking southern comfort on the walking dead and i became intrigued.
lol it's cheap.  It's the stuff that you drink in high school