Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The story behind your name

Started by lukas989, Apr 28, 2011, 11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Sushi-X on Apr 29, 2011, 01:39 AM
Sushi-X - a character used by editors of my favorite gaming magazine EGM.
+1000000
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lukas989

My maw called me Luke because its a derivative of the italian Gianluca, which means 'Warrior of the Night'.   Turns out Im more a sloth of the mid morning.

Frequency_Chemist

I write my own music...guitar and lyrics. My thinking was guitar strings vibrate at different frequencies. Chemist being a form of scientist perform experiments. When I write music I don't approach it with any rules. I just play what sounds and feels good to me.

lostpilot

Quote from: Frequency_Chemist on Apr 29, 2011, 08:58 AM
I write my own music...guitar and lyrics. My thinking was guitar strings vibrate at different frequencies. Chemist being a form of scientist perform experiments. When I write music I don't approach it with any rules. I just play what sounds and feels good to me.

That's a pretty cool idea and name actually.

Frequency_Chemist

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 29, 2011, 09:45 AM
Quote from: Frequency_Chemist on Apr 29, 2011, 08:58 AM

That's a pretty cool idea and name actually.

Thanks man

BillyNo.9

This could be the start of something beautiful...

bodywars9000

I created my moniker a few years back, specifically to create an e-mail account with which to keep in touch with a good friend of mine who moved to the total opposite of the country.  We are both writers and artists and collaborate on many projects, so phone and e-mail is our main way of doing that. Since i created the account mainly for that purpose,  i decided to choose a name that he would recognize easily, some kind of inside joke.

The name Bodywars9000 comes from the name of a themed ride in Epcot Center in Florida. The ride (just titled "Bodywars"), was one where you sat in a chair, in a sort of theater. A screen played a movie about scientists that shrunk a ship down, with themselves inside of it, to travel inside the human body via the bloodstream to fight off diseases or bacteria, or something like that. I know there were other movies and shows that used this same premise, but this was just a ten minute short made specifically for this "ride". I was about 9 years old when i experienced this "ride".

Now for the interesting bit, the meaning behind the "inside joke", although it's not much of a joke at all. The good friend of mine, let's call him "Ed", went to Epcot Center when he was around the same age (nine) as well.He and i are the same age, give or take a few months. However, keep in mind that we did not meet and become friends until we were 15 years old. That bit is important. As a child, my parents relationship was rocky, mostly having to do with my fathers alchoholism, which ultimately led to their divorce. As a child, "Ed" had a similar tumultuous relationship present is his parents as well. So here's the thing:

When I was at Epcot Center with my parents at age 9, my father got drunk as hell in "Ireland". For those of you that don't know, a large portion of Epcot Center is set up as to mimic different countries, there is a China section, Egypt, etc. My father got so drunk in Ireland that he passed out on a bench in Italy next to the leaning tower. My mother took me away from him to a science themed section of the park. She suggested we go on this ride, Bodywars, to which i strongly protested. Number one i was most likely pretty upset, not in the mood for rides, and number two, i really hated the idea of going "inside" the body. She demanded and essentially forced me to go on the ride. I must say it was extremely traumatic for me. To this day anything that makes me think about the internal workings of my body makes my anxious and panicky, it's fairly extreme. After the ride my father found us and my parents had a huge argument, my father saying to my mother that she was "brainwashing" me against him, etc. He was extremely angry that we had left him and went to the science section. I couldn't take anymore of this, this was supposed to be my birthday present by the way. I had heard and seen them argue before,my father drunk out of his mind and all that, but my young mind reached some kind of breaking point, covering my ears didn't work anymore. We happened to be in an area that was a large pier, high over water, with rocks at the bottom with shallow water covering them. About 50 feet over the water, i climbed up the railing, intent on jumping into the water, a means to escape these feelings. My parents were arguing so intently they didn't even notice. The exact moment i attempted to jump off the railing, someone caught me at the critical moment, it was some stranger, my parents never even noticed.

When "Ed" was nine years old, his parents took him to Epcot Center for his birthday. His parents were very argumentitive in general, and very verbally violent as well. He and his parents came to a science themed section of the park. His mother suggested that they go on this ride, Bodywars. Ed protested. She continued to pressure him into going on the ride, which provoked his father to become inceasingly angry. He argued that if Ed didn't want to go on the ride, he didn't have to. The argument got out of control, and while his parents were distracted arguing, Ed fled the scene, ending up somewhere in China. He had been "lost" for about an hour, when a security guard in a  "golf-cart" type vehicle found him, and took him to the main office. When he arrived, his father was there, but not his mother. As they left, his father told him that his mother had left to go to the airport, she was catching the first flight back home. She blamed his father for the argument leading to Ed's dissapearence, and now, Ed's father told him "It's your fault your mother left". They went back to the hotel, and Ed's father left him alone in the suite as he went down to the lobby to pay the bill and check out. While his father was gone, Ed got one of his father's belts. and attempted to hang himself from the shower rod in the bathroom. Fortunately before he could suffocate, the shower rod gave way and clattered into the tub with him in a heap, just as his father entered the bathroom. His afther, not understanding the situation, asked angrily "What the hell are you doing?!". Ed replied that he was playing.  "Stop fucking around" his father said, and left the room. He never realized what had almost happened. They left Florida that night.

The point is this: I met and became friends with Ed many years later, and we became friends instantaneously, we shared an attitude, hobbies and tastes so similar that i can honestly say it's a bit like a brother from another mother, or a soulmate kind of thing. Kindred spirits. It wasn't until a few years ago, now in our 20's, that we had some conversation that led to the incredible discovery that we shared this very similar, specific event. We both were taken to Epcot Center for our 9th birthdays, and attempted to kill ourselves, our parents both partly responsibe, and remaining totally oblivious. Meeting each other 6 years later. A common theme was this Bodywars ride. Hence the name. The "9000" has no meaning, i just needed a number and thought it sounded funny, in a futuristic type of way. When i created my sharinglungs account i used the same moniker, just because it's familiar. Pretty crazy...

BillyNo.9

How does a 9 year old know how to hang himself from a shower rod? I'm not trying to doubt you man but that seem's a bit flawed :S

bodywars9000

Haha, pretty funny man. If i wanted to make shit up, i would've come up with a more interesting set of stories, it is as it is, the honest truth.
How does a 9 year old know "how" to hang himself from a shower rod? Having seen something similar in a movie, perhaps. It's not that difficult of a concept to grasp, even as a child. You'd need something rope-like (a belt will suffice), and something to hang it from. The point had to do with the attempt, the mindset of the person in question. For that matter, child suicide may be rare in the scope of things, but does occur. My friend was not the only 9 year old that ever tried to hang himself, and some succeeded.
I don't really care what you think, as i don't even know you, but felt compelled to reply as frankly, what you said was pretty insulting. I was relating a personal story. I also have absolutely zero doubt on the validity of my friend's story. We are quite close, and i know him about as well as i know myself.

Makes me wonder where your intelligence level was at when you were that age...had you figured out how to use the potty yet? Or maybe that's too advanced for a nine year old too. BTW nice move casting aspersions and attempting to relinquish responsibility in the same sentence. That kind of passive aggressive shit infuriates me. I guess i shouldn't be surprised considering it was coming from someone named after a Power Ranger. Go Mighty Morphin Phuck Yourself. :S

BillyNo.9

Quote from: bodywars9000 on Apr 30, 2011, 04:09 AM
Go Mighty Morphin Phuck Yourself. :S
Lol

XD Chill man, I honestly did not mean any disrespect. don't go and be an asshole cuz I speculated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it a bit hard to believe a 9 year old tried to hang himself, probably because it's not something one tends to think of, but yeah I guess it happened then...  :P

bodywars9000

It's whatever. My response was reactionary, like a reflex. I was insulted and went a bit overboard.

BillyNo.9

Variable

^^ Oh shut up and stand your ground.  Just because he insisted, aggressively, that his fake story was true, doesn't make it so. Your instincts were correct. Now your going to let an idiot that made up a lame story to get sympathy from strangers, coerce you into apologizing? Really? 

Quote from: bodywars9000 on Apr 30, 2011, 02:09 AM
To this day anything that makes me think about the internal workings of my body makes my anxious and panicky, it's fairly extreme.
Wow, you sound like a complete pussy

bodywars9000

Oh here comes Variable to the rescue!!! Ah, alas, it was only a matter of time.

I don't care if you choose not to believe my explanation, nor am i trying to garner some sort of sympathy. It's not even that sympathetic of a story, it's fairly ugly, but nonetheless quite true. Matter of fact the only reason i included all of those details that one might see as a quest for said sympathy, were just for context. Sure, i could've just wrote "Bodywars is a ride, my friend and i have a shared experience with", or maybe even a little more detail than that, but that would take away from the dramatic effect. My motivation to lie is nil. I just saw this topic, and decided to tell the story behind my name, the end.

By the way, ooh look everyone, the "Army Man" called me a pussy!!!
What's the story behind your name, you epically sad troll. "Variable"?
The only thing that seems to "vary" with you is who you're picking a sad troll fight or taking some quasi-intellectual, egotistically heroic stance with.
You should change your name to "Predictable".

I usually would leave well enough alone, but i've read just about enough of your high-horsing bullshit.
For the sake of argument, let's just say that you're not actually in the service, whatever branch you claim to be in, i really don't give a goddamn. What's the matter, not seeing enough action on the front lines, you have to manufacture verbal warfare wherever you go? Who the fuck do you think you are?

Calm down G.I. Joe, save your vigor and for someone else. I feel bad for your relatives and friends, if you have any, if this is how you carry yourself in real life as well. You're an obnoxious prick, and a bullying troll.

If you wish to enter a war of words, go ahead and launch some more nonsense my way. You want a battle of wits you'll get it, but assuredly lose.
Go ahead man, i'm offering satisfaction, you seem to always be looking to start a fight. Kudos, you've succeeded! Con-grat-u-fucking-lations!!!

ASS CLOWN.

[ disclaimer: I actually have nothing but the utmost respect for our men and women in service, i just can't stand THIS guy in particular. Sorry if any of this was offensive to anyone other than Variable. ]

from_musings

I think you have to be aware of that the more you write,bigger chances that many will think lots of different things about what you say.sometimes positive things, sometimes negative things - and you should be able to understand both.it's just reactions. not everyone will stand up and clap their hands.
I can understand billy, you say that you are a writer,these persons tend to be pretty close and on the border to fantasy land when they sit down and write :) i'm not knocking the story, just saying

poofing acid

I'm just surprised anyone actually read your novel.  You could have easily shortened it with, "body wars is when i take my weiner and slap my friend with it while he does the same thing to me. WAR!"

from_musings

that was in chapter 9 right?

MommaBear

That is pretty insane.  My husband and I share a memory of being in the same place as children and having met, but we haven't been able to conclusively decide if it's "true".  It was a swimming park type thing and he remembers hanging out and talking with a girl that looked just as I did in childhood pictures and vice versa.  My husband likes anything with a vagina, so it's kinda hard to narrow it down.  But, we did both go to the same place with our families as children (even though we lived about two hours from each other) and remembered some pretty specific attributes about meeting each other that would fit the "story".  But, neither of us can remember enough to verify it 100%.  Just some gut feelings and some shared experiences that seem to mesh.

Your story gives me the chills, I'm glad you posted it.

black coffee

Quote from: MommaBear on Apr 30, 2011, 02:37 PM
My husband likes anything with a vagina, so it's kinda hard to narrow it down. 

hahahaha

Well I got mine from a song title. And it's actually not Glassjaw. The End.

from_musings

Quote from: MommaBear on Apr 30, 2011, 02:37 PM
My husband likes anything with a vagina

um.. that includes animals? your story gives me the chills, I'm not glad you posted it.