Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crazylegs' album of the week.

Started by Crazylegs, May 01, 2011, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

I'm starting up with an absolute classic.

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (1973)

genre: soul/funk
Sounds like: Stevie Wonder

I'm well aware that this by no means is an unknown artist or band. I just figured that maybe a lot of people on here haven't heard it, considering the age of many users. I was lucky enough to find this in my dad's record collection when I was a little kid. So when I a couple of years ago bought it for my own collection and listened to it again after quite a few years, I fell in love with it all over again. Stevie's got such a good voice, and you can hear that he fucking radiates music. The whole album just flows so naturally, it's ridiculously funky at times, and at other times it's so mellow and beautiful. It's just composed so perfectly, and I find myself liking it more and more every time I listen to it. I hope there's some cats on here who will find an interest in this, cause i'm not kidding, it's one of the best albums ever.

My personal favorite track at the moment is "Don't you worry about a thing" . "Too high" is a fucking beast too, and groovy as all hell.

Click the picture for the download link.

lithium

💩

Crazylegs

devilinside

I LOVE that album!! I remember listening to that on vinyl when I was a little kid.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 01, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm well aware that this by no means is an unknown artist or band.

why is everyone so obsessed with posting albums by unknown or relatively unheard of bands? seems a bit lame if everyone is just trying to improve their hipster cred. with that said kudos to posting something well known but many people here may never have given a chance or really appreciated.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 02, 2011, 12:55 AM
kudos to posting something well known but many people here may never have given a chance or really appreciated.
kudos indeed. i fall into that category of never really giving Stevie Wonder a real shot. good stuff.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Frequency_Chemist

Wow, glad to see something old being posted on this board. I've had thoughts of posting up some Funkadelic, The Meters, and so many others. Just figured no one would really care to listen.

spitfire

listened to the stevie wonder album today twice. great vibes in it

Crazylegs

Crazylegs

Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Life Begins Again (2004)

genre: rock/jazz fusion

Sounds like: [spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuGz0M3Nw-s[/spoiler]

In my opinion this is the best album any of the Smashing Pumpkins members have done outside of the good old Smashing Pumpkins. I don't really know what to say about it, but as a drummer i was naturally drawn to this project, Jimmy definitely is one of my favorite rock drummers. It's no dark side of the moon, but i find it very interesting. I recommend listening to streetcrawler, lullabye to children, or maybe Lokicat if you want some Billy Corgan action. It's definitely worth a listen, and if you're not a fan of Smashing Pumpkins, don't worry. It doesn't sound anything like them.

Click the picture for the download link.

Crazylegs

Latitudes - Agonist (2009)

genre: Sludge

Sounds like: [spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLgM4FL7x8U[/spoiler]

I just came across this today whilst surfing last.fm. I was checking for bands similar to The Mire, and this was the first band i clicked. I just fell in love with their sound instantly, really good sludge band reminiscent of mastodon and baroness at times. I recommend checking out the title track or "braille" if you just want a little taste (youtube link to agonist above).

http://www.myspace.com/latitudesmusic

Click the picture for the download link. And let me know if the download link goes down, i didn't upload it myself.

raynor

Lokicat is seriously the best song by/with Billy Corgan, it's just irony that it isn't a Pumpkins song. Alright so might download that Stevie Wonder album.

svjchtr

last.fm recommended Latitudes to me at some point but it disappeared from recs page before I got around to it. I see now that last.fm was correct! *downloads*

Crazylegs

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission (2009)

click picture

genre: ambient, dark jazz

Sounds like: [spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJGiSqfbas[/spoiler]

I've been aware of this band for quite some time, but i never really got into them before. I decided to give this album a go last week though, and i fucking love it. To me this is just like a perfect film noir soundtrack. Really simplistic, and theres a red line through the whole album, like the same pulse and melody pretty much the whole way through. That may seem stupid and boring, but the feel of it is just so good. I could listen to this over and over for hours. I'd recommend lying down in your bed, concentrate on nothing else and just listen through this masterpiece. I think i might do so myself right now.

http://www.myspace.com/bohrenundderclubofgoreofficial

bright lights, big city

great album! have you tried the Black Earth album? just as good, in my opinion.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Crazylegs

Quote from: bright lights, big city on May 23, 2011, 06:37 PM
great album! have you tried the Black Earth album? just as good, in my opinion.

yeah. I got that last week too. It's brilliant.

svjchtr

just got Sunset Mission like two weeks ago, it's pretty sick! will try Black Earth too :D

theis

Great choice.

Bohren is amazing.

E-Money

Crazylegs

Does any of you have a better rip of sunset mission and black earth. They sound so raspy on the rips i got. I've tried several different bitrates, but none have sounded any good really. I'm not downloading flac's cause i can't play them on itunes. ghey.