Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Beach Boys

Started by Crazylegs, Nov 01, 2011, 03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

Shit is crazy good. I haven't listened to the beach boys since i was a little kid, my dad used to play them quite a lot. But today, i figured i should check out the new smile sessions release, and my fucking god it's brilliant. I've always just imagined all their music sounding like california girls, how wrong was I?

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

ben

Only took 40 years for that thing to be released.  Brian Wilson is a mad genius.  Pet Sounds and Surfs Up are my favorite albums personally.  

Crazylegs

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 01, 2011, 03:43 PM
Harmony vocals FTW
you're not kidding. Child is father of the man gives me goosebumps from head to toe.

Quote from: ben on Nov 01, 2011, 03:44 PM
Only took 40 years for that thing to be released.  Brian Wilson is a mad genius.  Pet Sounds and Surfs Up are my favorite albums personally. 
I'll be sure to check them out. Well, i already downloaded pet sounds, but surfs up is next on the list.

ben

Pet Sounds is amazing because Brian Wilson painstakingly edited hundreds of different sounds to create 2-3 minute pop songs.  Good Vibrations took him months to finish because he was using 60s technology...now you can use a laptop like Panda Bear does, but Brian Wilson hustled hard on that shit.

"The production of the song is reported to have spanned seventeen recording sessions at four different recording studios, and used over 90 hours of magnetic recording tape, with an eventual budget of $50,000.[citation needed] According to Wilson, the electro-theremin work itself cost $15,000.[8] Wilson is credited with developing the use of the recording studio as an instrument: He, the Beach Boys, and dozens of top studio musicians, including members of The Wrecking Crew, recorded and re-recorded seemingly unrelated musical and vocal sections for the song, then edited and mixed these sections into a 3:35 track.

The recording and production style used on the "Good Vibrations" single established Wilson's new method of operation: The recording and re-recording of specific sections of music, followed by rough mixes of the sections edited together, further recording as required, and the construction of the final mix from the component elements. This was the modular approach to recording that was next used on Smile."

Crazylegs

ToneDef

You know what? I've always known how highly regarded this shit is but I've always just considered it kinda... Gay? Smile got excellent reviews though and did make me think to actually listen to the Beach Boys properly for the first time in my life. They're one of those bands I'm very ignorant of.

And really all I think of is Teen Wolf doing fucking backflips and shit on the van while Styles is driving around town.

bright lights, big city

Thanks ben for that info, I had no idea THAT much production time went into that. Amazing.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

ben

Quote from: ToneDef on Nov 01, 2011, 05:17 PM
You know what? I've always known how highly regarded this shit is but I've always just considered it kinda... Gay? Smile got excellent reviews though and did make me think to actually listen to the Beach Boys properly for the first time in my life. They're one of those bands I'm very ignorant of.

And really all I think of is Teen Wolf doing fucking backflips and shit on the van while Styles is driving around town.

It's not your fault.  Most of the people write off The Beach Boys because all they associate them with is fucking Kokomo, Surfin USA and Little Deuce Coup.  Jesus christ...