Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snw9

Listen to the demo and thats how the song was suppose to be. I like the original but the main chorus riff(which became serj's part) should have stayed after the verse rather than cutting that part out. The drums stand out in the song too and I think its a great unique song by the band.
Code: [Select]

One_Weak

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 01, 2011, 09:59 AM
you would know this if you had bought the cd, it's in the booklet you cheap bastard. "Fist" .. or, "First" - was this suppose to be a new thread? ffs.. this place would be a real shit hole without the mods

:D "cheap bastard." but yeah, I do have the CD, it just didn't come to me 'til the following morning (today) after I posted the question. I see it, where Deftones thanks Ross Robinson for producing "Fist." I just don't understand then why iTunes would label it "First" and to be honest Google isn't exactly the most reliable resolution because it gives an array of sources with differing answers. or maybe I'm just using that as a bullshit excuse  ::)

speaking of bullshit, what's this Thread called? yeah, that's right...which is why I asked here, instead of making another thread entirely. now THAT would be an asshole move. regardless, thanks for the answer though I ultimately cut the laziness and looked at the CD booklet  ;D
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

asshole

i love mein....even the video...lol but yeah mein is the shit Until serj part. If chino did cut him out that would explain why he didnt come out on the vid...
I love me some Vinyl.

Follow Me under #Adamogreat
Your Lucky Your Kinda Cute.. Taste Like Juicy Fruit...

Electron§

Lol i realized a couple weeks ago i have every Deftones album except for S/T and ATF. (my original copy of S/T got thrashed by my car door). I didnt even know i had Adrenaline!

Speaking of the song "Fist", its always sort of to me sounded like what may have provided some of the inspiration for "Minerva". They sound similar.

One_Weak

to me "Fist" is just about his first girlfriend/lover, and the one that got away. that's just my interpretation though. great song, I only wish the lyrics were a little louder. great poetry though
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

pinkmaggit

I'm really not impressed by Sergio's singing - in fact I think it's really terrible and I don't know why the band lets him sing at concerts.
I understand that towards the end of a long tour Chino's voice is starting to take strain from all the abuse and maybe he feels he needs some help at certain points in some songs.
However I think that no matter how tired Chino is sounding even if he's having a really off performance, he will still sound 99999999 times better than Sergio.
I would really prefer it if Sergio just stuck to playing the bass and left the singing to Chino.
It was a different situation with Chi - I loved his low screaming/growling and in his case it really added something to the performance and complemented Chino well, especially on songs like  'Headup'.
In fact I always wished that the band had included more of Chi's screaming on the albums - it really worked well on 'Needles and Pins' which is one of my favourite songs.
It just doesn't work the same with Sergio.
Sorry I love the guy and I'm forever grateful that he stepped in and helped keep the band together - I love his bass playing, just not his singing.
He has such a great attitude and I think Deftones needed a good friend and someone with his positive attitude to help get them through hard times and think they might have called it a day if they were faced with recruiting a bass player they had no ties with. The band has a new sense of appreciation for each other which is very evident in interviews and I think Sergio helps nurture that.
After saying all this about Sergio's singing I watched a live video of Deftones on Youtube the other day and it was the first song that Sergio didn't sound too bad in. I can't remember which song it was or the date of the performance so I don't know if it was a freak occurance or if he is indeed getting better.
What are your opinions - maybe you can post some performances that show he is improving, if that is the case.
I'm not even sure - is singing something you can get better at or is it a case of being stuck with what you've got?
All this talk about Sergio has also got me wondering what he and the band will do when (and I say when because I refuse not to keep positive about it) Chi finally comes back.
I think it would take Chi a while to 're-learn' the bass and Sergio and the band would probably have done a few more albums together by that stage.
I really hope that when Chi comes back, Chino will do a side project with Sergio or maybe include him in Crosses.

pinkmaggit

The first thing that got me into Deftones was Chino's voice, Stef's awesome riffs and all the other things that make Deftones the greatest band in the world.
It was only after I had got into this band that I started to realise and notice what a really great drummer Abe is.
I was always the kind of person that just listened to a song and the melody and never really delved deeper and really looked closely at all the layers.
Especially the drums - they were always just something there in the background.
Abe changed that for me - all of a sudden the drums became an instrument every bit as important as voice and guitar and all of a sudden I was listening to all of the layers and really appreciating the drums the way they deserve to be appreciated.
So I can really say that Deftones changed music for me.
I had realized how amazing Abe's drumming was - it still mesmerizes me every time I listen to a Deftones song!
I love the way he doesn't go for the obvious,how his drumming always suprises me and the way he really pounds his kit,  like he's putting everything he has into it.
I really think Abe is a truly underrated drummer and I feel that he really is the most talented drummer ever.
I think it's a crime when I read ''best drummer lists'' and his name isn't there  and guys like Joey Jordison are right at the top.
Not to knock guys like Jordison but Abe makes drummers like that seem almost predictable.
Anyone else share my sentiments that Abe is the greatest drummer around and a vital part of Deftones sound?

pony_01

Sergio good at singing
but his scream is horrrible

deftoolsys07

Quote from: pinkmaggit on Sep 07, 2011, 02:24 AM
The first thing that got me into Deftones was Chino's voice, Stef's awesome riffs and all the other things that make Deftones the greatest band in the world.
It was only after I had got into this band that I started to realise and notice what a really great drummer Abe is.
I was always the kind of person that just listened to a song and the melody and never really delved deeper and really looked closely at all the layers.
Especially the drums - they were always just something there in the background.
Abe changed that for me - all of a sudden the drums became an instrument every bit as important as voice and guitar and all of a sudden I was listening to all of the layers and really appreciating the drums the way they deserve to be appreciated.
So I can really say that Deftones changed music for me.
I had realized how amazing Abe's drumming was - it still mesmerizes me every time I listen to a Deftones song!
I love the way he doesn't go for the obvious,how his drumming always suprises me and the way he really pounds his kit,  like he's putting everything he has into it.
I really think Abe is a truly underrated drummer and I feel that he really is the most talented drummer ever.
I think it's a crime when I read ''best drummer lists'' and his name isn't there  and guys like Joey Jordison are right at the top.
Not to knock guys like Jordison but Abe makes drummers like that seem almost predictable.
Anyone else share my sentiments that Abe is the greatest drummer around and a vital part of Deftones sound?

Like.
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

luisch

totally indeed, really love all the abe work on the band
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

deftoolsys07

i think he's underrated, too.. or i mean you never picture him as "best drummer" or "most influencial drummer" or anything but he is really up there... it's his subtleties as well as pounding the fuck out of the kit that really makes him stand out, apart from all the groovin'
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

Frequency_Chemist

I definitely agree. Completely underrated drummer... as is the band imo.

UrZ*

Well not the greatest perhaps, but i do think he's one of the most creative drummers i've ever heard. (I play too, so i kinda keep an ear out for those things ;-) )
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

mono

Quote from: pony_01 on Sep 07, 2011, 03:12 AM
Sergio good at singing

+1000000000000

mono

it´s true, completely underrated :/

El-Presidente

Quote from: pony_01 on Sep 07, 2011, 03:12 AM
Sergio good at singing
could you be so kind and post a vid pls? havent really heard him yet

Starz

You need to structure your posts more man, they look horrible to read

He's got better at screaming, especially for MOS. More of a high pitched scream now than when he first started

One_Weak

here's a random fairly trivial question..

"My Own Summer" is featured on the Matrix soundtrack.......but I've seen the movie, and don't remember hearing any of it at all throughout....so did I miss the scene, did they play just a tinge of it, or what? and it's not in the ending credits. so I figured either a deleted scene or I missed it; anyone know which scene they feature the song in? thanks

BillyNo.9

Nah man, wasn't in the movie. A lot of bands have songs featured on soundtracks and shit but do not appear in the actual movie. I think the only soundtrack where everysong on it is used is Queen of the Damned ( lol at the film ). My guess is Mavrick and Warner Bro's had a deal going on or something?