Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: sing blue silver on Oct 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
Quote from: pony_01 on Oct 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
Chino should collaborate with Fred Durst on new record!
I mean, should not. :D

i don't really have anyone i'd like to see on a deftones record. i'd really love to see chino on a mastodon track though.
I don't think I want to hear anyone else ever on a deftones record either. It would have to be some big surprise for me to dig it and good. Just cant imagine anyone I guess. Maybe some Chino electro-mode moment w a chick (but who?)
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

from_musings

Quote from: sing blue silver on Oct 27, 2011, 03:34 AM
Quote from: One_Weak on Oct 27, 2011, 01:20 AM
I just hope this new album is more like Adrenaline and ATF

i REALLY don't. either move forward or stop making music. once the deftones start repeating themselves i'll be mighty displeased. those albums already exist, and are fantastic. who would want to hear them made again? the only thing i want to see again is more of that intensity and fire that was really toned down on DE. i love deftones because every new album sounds new and fresh and different. otherwise i'd get bored.

i wouldn't mind if they did a back to basic record with the deftones trade mark sound. everyone say they like deftones changing, but still,the most popular song on d.e is royal - the most old sounding deftones song.they tried to develop with new producers like bob ezrin and nick, but still, everyone wants terry-the man that touched their first records.why is that?gotta mean something. maybe it depends a little on when you got into deftones.personally i fell in love with the early sound and don't want them to drift away.it's like getting a dog which personality you'd love,and then go on wishing that personality would change. when they released the first 2 records, they werent known for being this developing band, they were loved anyway,because of of that sound

sing blue silver

I thought prince was the most popular DE song? It won the poll an sounds fresh and new. I just love terry's work with them because he perfected how he recorded each member. All of their instrument sound better with his production. Stephens guitar tone is completely different from adrenaline to self titled but Terry made it sound brilliant to each albums asthetic. We can all agree those 2 records are massively different but each one is recorded masterfully.  I lovethe production on SNW but that album was hell to make and they obviously didn't work well with those producers. Nick just burries the bass, polishes the vocals, and creates a really chunky guitar sound with little resonance. He did a good job with the drums because he mic'd the fuck out of them which nobody had done with Abe before but it wasn't enough. Terry captures moods well through the sound of each instrument. Nick doesn't do that so well I think. Just how I feel.

from_musings

ok maybe prince won, but royal was 2nd? so they're both popular. point is, it's the songs with highs and lows within the songs that people seem to like on d.e, songs with soft vocals mixed with screams - which is the early trademark. but i get the people applauding them for trying new things, it's not just for me as much.snw as an example, i do prefer classic deftones like buffalo/finger of death, combat over when they try new stuff like mein,konami,hite etc

100Modem

Quote from: sing blue silver on Oct 27, 2011, 10:48 PM
I thought prince was the most popular DE song? It won the poll an sounds fresh and new. I just love terry's work with them because he perfected how he recorded each member. All of their instrument sound better with his production. Stephens guitar tone is completely different from adrenaline to self titled but Terry made it sound brilliant to each albums asthetic. We can all agree those 2 records are massively different but each one is recorded masterfully.  I lovethe production on SNW but that album was hell to make and they obviously didn't work well with those producers. Nick just burries the bass, polishes the vocals, and creates a really chunky guitar sound with little resonance. He did a good job with the drums because he mic'd the fuck out of them which nobody had done with Abe before but it wasn't enough. Terry captures moods well through the sound of each instrument. Nick doesn't do that so well I think. Just how I feel.

I love how the guitars sound in ATF... for me they are the best ones.
In DE they are a bit dry and I think it kinda takes the heavy feeling away for some songs.
As for SNW I completely agree with you about the drums, they sound terrific in terms of production. That plus Abe drumming on that album, amazing.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: 100Modem on Oct 27, 2011, 11:20 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Oct 27, 2011, 10:48 PM
I thought prince was the most popular DE song? It won the poll an sounds fresh and new. I just love terry's work with them because he perfected how he recorded each member. All of their instrument sound better with his production. Stephens guitar tone is completely different from adrenaline to self titled but Terry made it sound brilliant to each albums asthetic. We can all agree those 2 records are massively different but each one is recorded masterfully.  I lovethe production on SNW but that album was hell to make and they obviously didn't work well with those producers. Nick just burries the bass, polishes the vocals, and creates a really chunky guitar sound with little resonance. He did a good job with the drums because he mic'd the fuck out of them which nobody had done with Abe before but it wasn't enough. Terry captures moods well through the sound of each instrument. Nick doesn't do that so well I think. Just how I feel.

I love how the guitars sound in ATF... for me they are the best ones.
In DE they are a bit dry and I think it kinda takes the heavy feeling away for some songs.
As for SNW I completely agree with you about the drums, they sound terrific in terms of production. That plus Abe drumming on that album, amazing.

Kind of flies in the face of your opinion, but i think white pony has the best and most crisp recording all round. The sound is unique, i can't think of an album that sounds like white pony, the guitars are really rasping and dry and the drums are crystal clear with a really tight popping snare sound. I prefer the white pony guitar to the more sludge ridden albums that followed. Additionally, white pony is the last album in my opinion that Chino could sing and scream freely on.

Although I will say ST is the last real Deftones record, the sound is representative of the period they were going through, it's kind of raw, messy and dark as hell which make it cool. SNW and DE for me sound like a band under pressure from their record label to put something more listenable together.

Electron§

One of the things that always annoyed me about D.E. is the songs sound underdeveloped, or maybe uninspired is a better word. The song structure is different from that of other albums. Its much more fast paced, and the songs almost sound like some of their old songs mixed together to make a new song.

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Oct 27, 2011, 11:37 PM

Although I will say ST is the last real Deftones record, the sound is representative of the period they were going through, it's kind of raw, messy and dark as hell which make it cool. SNW and DE for me sound like a band under pressure from their record label to put something more listenable together.

Agreed.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Kind of flies in the face of your opinion, but i think white pony has the best and most crisp recording all round. The sound is unique, i can't think of an album that sounds lik

[/quote]If it's their last "real record" what are you lurking around here for 8 or 9 years later for? Waiting for another real record still? Not trying to be an ass but that sounds silly as hell and I don't get that from a lot of people here who dont like their "latest" records. Why are u here so frequently? That's all. I have no other way to ask the question I guess. :) but  :-\

sing blue silver

lots of the regulars here hate the new stuff. i don't but i guess i can see where they're coming from.

TheShade1989

I think it just depends on music taste and what era of Deftones is your favorite. I mean, some ppl prefer the heavy stuff, and some prefer the lighter or more melodic music. Bands always progress, or at least they should, because life is all about growth; you cant stay in the same place permanently. They have a lotta different influences on their sound, so it makes sense that all of their albums have gone in a different direction, but ppl's music preferences obviously mean that they wont necessarily like the direction they've gone in, or maybe they'll love it. That said, all Deftones albums have had at least a few songs of everything they do; heavy, melodic, fast-paced, slow, etc. Even the ppl who say they want another ATF or White Pony would probably be disappointed if all of their albums after that were the same as those, because then there wouldnt really be any growth. There's only so much you can stay within the sound ppl prefer before you start recycling ideas and whatnot.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Oct 28, 2011, 03:33 AM

Kind of flies in the face of your opinion, but i think white pony has the best and most crisp recording all round. The sound is unique, i can't think of an album that sounds lik

If it's their last "real record" what are you lurking around here for 8 or 9 years later for? Waiting for another real record still? Not trying to be an ass but that sounds silly as hell and I don't get that from a lot of people here who dont like their "latest" records. Why are u here so frequently? That's all. I have no other way to ask the question I guess. :) but  :-\
[/quote]

Im still around here because i still like Deftones and I don't mind the new stuff im just saying Deftones used to break new ground and take risks with their releases, they dont do this anymore in my opinion. Please dont confuse that with me not liking them anymore, i bought DE on cd and i tunes i still listen to it but in my opinion it is more 'deftones by numbers'.

nineteen

One thing's for certain though; Deftones catalogue is incredibly good for a band. Usually bands go bust or release a really really crap album, but they seem to have stayed the path pretty well.

pony_01

Quote from: nineteen on Oct 28, 2011, 09:27 PM
One thing's for certain though; Deftones catalogue is incredibly good for a band. Usually bands go bust or release a really really crap album, but they seem to have stayed the path pretty well.

uh oh you forgot SNW!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

SNW is great and I didn't mean any harm. It's just that it's been a loooong time since that release and reading things sometimes I guess I get a different vibe from ppl rather than hearing it. I apologize for the gruff-ness in my tone... :P :)

Electron§

I always think its kind of stupid to say Deftones go in a new direction every album. Because really to me they don't completely. They do one sound on one album, and then bring it to its logical limit on the next, before moving on totally, to do another thematically similar double shot of albums. For example, look at the similar quality and yet progression of between their last and then most recent albums, whether it be from Adrenaline to Around the Fur, White Pony to self titled, or Saturday Night Wrist to Diamond Eyes.

For all we know though, Eros broke this chain and brought us something completely new.

from_musings

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Oct 27, 2011, 11:37 PM
I will say ST is the last real Deftones record

i see it that way too,and i don't think the new record that eventually will come is going to change that.
however,it's definitely not all bad after those records, on d.e we have royal,prince,risk - damn good stuff, and snw... well... the cover art is great.

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Oct 28, 2011, 03:33 AM
Why are u here so frequently?

he's here to tell all of you noobs what's up when you're wrong ;)

Quote from: Electron§ on Oct 29, 2011, 01:24 PM
For all we know though, Eros broke this chain and brought us something completely new.

the person who commented on how eros sounds, a person who wasn't involved in the making of it , is sergio. and he said it sounded pretty similair to d.e

from_musings

I just have to say - before there's any confusion about how I can say that combat is a good one moment and then say that everything is bad with snw in the next: snw is like the ending of the movie shawshank redemption, listening to snw is like when tim robbins crawls through a tunnel of shit. when combat comes on - is when tim comes out of the tunnel and gets fresh rain on him - it's refreshing and liberating. however - the water he is standing in is still dirty and there's still poop on him, so the situation is still far from optimal. the first four albums are like clear water on an unvisited beach in the bahamas, while combat is dirty poop water. Both waters are good, but one water is only good in comparison and when you relate it to something that was before (the tunnel of shit)

Penicks

that's the stupidest analogy ever but it's still pretty funny

diamond eyes is a never ending sewer then

rock_n_frost

talking talking talking talking talking
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

from_musings

people talking on a board? bullshit in a bullshit thread?? NO WAY