Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 05, 2011, 11:44 PM
I read somewhere that it might've been someone's name (last probably instead of first), but then again that's also what I heard/read "MX" might come from too.

From deftonesworld.com:

There's another meaning given by Chino in an old interview (loudside.com), here's what he said about the name 'Mx':
Chino: "The song was first called "Max", because when we wrote the song, the riff was similar to something that Max (Cavalera, Soulfly singer) would make. When we went in the studio, Stef took out the "a"... and it's now called "MX"..."
So there you go, I guess this is the most credible meaning for the weird name 'Mx'. (thanks to Autopsy17)
"MX" is also an abbreviation for MotoCross, one of Chino's hobbies. (thanks to Drew Birch)

One_Weak

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 06, 2011, 12:07 AM
Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 05, 2011, 11:44 PM
I read somewhere that it might've been someone's name (last probably instead of first), but then again that's also what I heard/read "MX" might come from too.

From deftonesworld.com:

There's another meaning given by Chino in an old interview (loudside.com), here's what he said about the name 'Mx':
Chino: "The song was first called "Max", because when we wrote the song, the riff was similar to something that Max (Cavalera, Soulfly singer) would make. When we went in the studio, Stef took out the "a"... and it's now called "MX"..."
So there you go, I guess this is the most credible meaning for the weird name 'Mx'. (thanks to Autopsy17)
"MX" is also an abbreviation for MotoCross, one of Chino's hobbies. (thanks to Drew Birch)

I totally just bro-fisted you, Vesanic.
I remember reading the last bit about MotoCross before on their site, must've forgotten that first bit (unless it was updated).

but oh, so many other desirous song title explanations ...
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

ltdef

This is fucking hilarious! Nobody have a clue..? :o

I should ask Chino.

Vesanic

If he even remembers, that is.  ;D

from_musings

to my knowledge, they've only said that the working title was "max", as in max cavalera,because the song was based on a riff that sounded like a sepultura riff. and when the song titles were to be determined -  they shortened it to mx for the sake of coolness. didn't know there were other alternatives out there.but yeah, motorbikes, why not

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Nov 01, 2011, 11:12 PM
(ok SNW has its moments)

"Moments?" 

Combat, Kimdracula, Rapture, Xerces, Uuddlrlrselectstart, and Riviere are all fucking classic as hell.. and Beware, Cherry Waves, Hole in the Earth aren't that bad...  :P

Mein is not great, I've never liked it.. but I've never hated it.  And everyone hates on Pink Cellphone but honestly it's a trippy beat and it's pretty funny.  It's not meant to be a "song," more like a break in the middle of the album.  Rats!Rats!Rats is.. meh.

But 9 out of 12 isn't bad right?

Actually.. when it comes to Deftones songs I don't really care for.. there are very few.  Never really liked Bored much (honestly I get kinda... bored? =P), Mascara is not my taste (tho ATF is their best album fo sho).  As for ST album, some of their BEST fucking songs are on there.. but I never really cared for Moana, Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event.  Already covered SNW.. and as for DE.. well I could do without 976-Evil and This Place Is Death  :-\
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

pony_01

illthrowROCKS@U

Glad to see that you don't.  However, I do.  To each his own I suppose  ::)
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Vesanic

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Nov 07, 2011, 08:03 AM
Actually.. when it comes to Deftones songs I don't really care for.. there are very few.  Never really liked Bored much (honestly I get kinda... bored? =P), Mascara is not my taste (tho ATF is their best album fo sho).  As for ST album, some of their BEST fucking songs are on there.. but I never really cared for Moana, Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event.  Already covered SNW.. and as for DE.. well I could do without 976-Evil and This Place Is Death  :-\

How about the Pony ?

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 07, 2011, 08:26 PM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Nov 07, 2011, 08:03 AM

How about the Pony ?

Honestly?  Feiticeira and Teenager.  The former always gets me in trouble with other Tones fans :P
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Vesanic

Love Feiticeira. Always gets the crowd moving. Cool interesting song, not mainstream or popular enough to fed up a big part of the fans (unlike Change or Summer), an assured hit in live sets.

illthrowROCKS@U

You know what else is funny?  The songs on the S/T really do have to be at the right time for me...

Hexagram, Needles and Pins, When Girls Telephone Boys, Battle Axe, Bloody Cape, and Lucky you I've always liked...

But the songs like Good Morning Beautiful, Deathblow, Moana, and even Minerva (which everyone seems to love, and is always played at live shows) really have to catch me in the right mood.  Like if I'm either busy or just relaxing or something where I'm still for a long time I'll listen to them.  But, like, if I'm in the car for a short trip then forget it, I'll skip them every time.  Rather spend that precious time listening to something "better," in my mind.  But then when those times do come like if I'm driving from DC to Florida, which happens often, the 18 hour trek is littered with these songs and I can totally dig them for a change.  I dunno if this makes any sense to any of you... but meh.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

One_Weak

I personally am not a huge fan of White Pony as a whole. I don't think the songs flow together as well as they do in, say, ATF. But I do love Passenger, Pink Maggit, Korea, and Teenager. Hell I like all the songs on there but none as much as I do Adrenaline and ATF as a whole.
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

Electron§

I heard that "When Girls Telephone Boys" is about a stalker Chino had. For some reason, from the lyrics, and the darkness of the song itself, I can kind of see that.

Though, I saw some live footage of that song at a recent concert, and Chino said "This song is dedicated to Chi". I wonder why. Maybe Chi's favorite song?

pony_01

Somebody, please make a sticky thread about Deftones Demos from early days to present. it would be interesting..

Vesanic

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 08, 2011, 09:41 AM
I heard that "When Girls Telephone Boys" is about a stalker Chino had. For some reason, from the lyrics, and the darkness of the song itself, I can kind of see that.

Though, I saw some live footage of that song at a recent concert, and Chino said "This song is dedicated to Chi". I wonder why. Maybe Chi's favorite song?

I don't know, I think it was some random shout-out. He used to do that on Risk, well for more obvious reasons that is, but also Minerva, and I don't see any specific reason for that one.

sooniletugo

That does seem an awfully inappropriate song to dedicate to Chi.

And I agree with Vesanic about Feiticeira. Never been a favourite of mine but such a cool song. I love the breakdown as you can probably tell from my name.

Electron§

I dont understand this comment from Chino:

"But another newbie, "Nylons and Suspenders," marks a first for the 20-year-old band.

"Musically, it's something that we haven't done before," he explains. "It's very... sludgy, like a chainsaw-type of riff but very slow. I shouldn't say this, but it's clunky... in an awesome way."

That's from an interview about Diamond Eyes. Do they mean "Nylon and Suspenders" was supposed to be a song?

Electron§

Quote from: sooniletugo on Nov 08, 2011, 09:35 PM
That does seem an awfully inappropriate song to dedicate to Chi.

Thats what I thought as well.

sooniletugo

His description of "Nylon and Suspenders" makes me think it became You've Seen The Butcher. Or Risk? lol