Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron§

I thought I saw someone say recently here that before they wrote White Pony, they actually had a bunch of songs that they trashed because they sounded too much like Around the Fur?

Electron§

Quote from: sooniletugo on Nov 09, 2011, 01:47 AM
His description of "Nylon and Suspenders" makes me think it became You've Seen The Butcher. Or Risk? lol

Also what I thought. But maybe "Nylon & Suspenders" is the supposed b-side which Ves heard during soundcheck at one of their shows.

sooniletugo

That would make sense.. Wonder if they ever plan on releasing it or playing it live. Maybe saving for next album...

Electron§

For some reason it popped into my head earlier the first time I heard anything from Diamond Eyes. I was in the car listening to the radio with some family. And so the guy goes "We're gonna play some new Deftones right now. This new track is called "You've Seen the Butcher" ". And i was like "holy shit this song should be hella fuckin' dark and sick." And I heard the beginning riff and right then, my sister turns the radio down and starts arguing with my mom. OF COURSE, RIGHT FUCKING THEN. Right at the second the song actually kicks in! I was like "WTF?". But later when I heard it again, I thought this is really good..... until Chino started singing. I thought his vocal approach on that song (and most of Diamond Eyes) sounds kind of weird and not very Deftones-ish at all. Not really into it.

Whats funny is I actually have a lot of memories regarding the first time I heard new Deftones stuff right when they put out the new albums at the time, and I always seem to be with family at the time. Maybe that's why I like Deftones so much, like the first time I heard "Minerva" as well. Good memories+Good music=Awesome.  

from_musings

the vinyl collection competition is over dude

wheresmysnare

It's only over when the fat lady sings, BELIEVE!

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: sooniletugo on Nov 09, 2011, 01:47 AM
His description of "Nylon and Suspenders" makes me think it became You've Seen The Butcher. Or Risk? lol

"Chainsaw sludge" sounds more like the Chorus of Prince to me.  You've Seen the Butcher isn't very "sludgey" to me :P  But it very well could have been a song that never made it on the record.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Electron§

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 09, 2011, 11:04 AM
the vinyl collection competition is over dude

Lol. Im well aware, good sir.

Electron§

It seems like S/T is the only album which has no demos or b-sides. Whats up with that?

BillyNo.9

illthrowROCKS@U

9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

BillyNo.9

...Because it wasn't on the album. Same reason Crenshaw Punch is a B side, It was recorded for an album but did make the final cut.

ponyx

After watching PJ20, I wish Cameron Crowe would do a documentary as amazing as that one with Deftones.

Electron§

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Nov 10, 2011, 12:02 AM
Lovers is a B-side.

That seems to be the only one though. Other than that, nothing. Every other album has at least two b-sides or a hidden track. "Adrenaline" has all the unused songs from the Like Linus era, "Around the Fur" has "Crenshaw Punch" and "Bumble D", then "Damone" as the secret track, White Pony has "The Boys Republic" plus "Back to School", SNW has about 16 different Ezrin demos, then there's self titled and it has "Lovers" and that's it? I highly doubt that there is only one b-side from s/t, Chino is probably keeping something from us. I almost consider "Finger of Death" from that era since it was written probably only a few months after that album was released.

BillyNo.9

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 10, 2011, 06:11 PM
Lovers is a B-side.

That seems to be the only one though.

You did say there was none, I corrected you. Considering the amount of time and money put into making S/T there must be heaps of unreleased shit, that just hasn't surfaced.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 08, 2011, 10:27 PM
I dont understand this comment from Chino:

"But another newbie, "Nylons and Suspenders," marks a first for the 20-year-old band.

"Musically, it's something that we haven't done before," he explains. "It's very... sludgy, like a chainsaw-type of riff but very slow. I shouldn't say this, but it's clunky... in an awesome way."

That's from an interview about Diamond Eyes. Do they mean "Nylon and Suspenders" was supposed to be a song?
Rocket Skates?
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

BillyNo.9

iceache

Lovers is a B-side.

That seems to be the only one though. Other than that, nothing. Every other album has at least two b-sides or a hidden track. "Adrenaline" has all the unused songs from the Like Linus era, "Around the Fur" has "Crenshaw Punch" and "Bumble D", then "Damone" as the secret track, White Pony has "The Boys Republic" plus "Back to School", SNW has about 16 different Ezrin demos, then there's self titled and it has "Lovers" and that's it? I highly doubt that there is only one b-side from s/t, Chino is probably keeping something from us. I almost consider "Finger of Death" from that era since it was written probably only a few months after that album was released.

Yeah, we only THOUGHT  that White Pony had only "Back to School" and "The Boys Republic", then we were told  5 years later that Black Moon existed.

Self Titled has Lovers and XO

Inkblades

Nylons & Suspenders = You've Seen the Butcher

Electron§

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Nov 10, 2011, 11:17 PM
Lovers is a B-side.

That seems to be the only one though.

You did say there was none, I corrected you. Considering the amount of time and money put into making S/T there must be heaps of unreleased shit, that just hasn't surfaced.

Im well aware of that, I have just always thought of "Lovers" as a normal part of the album, so I didn't even think of it as a b-side at the time until you reminded me.

Time and money? It took the usual time for a new Deftones album to make S/T (two-three years)

Quote from: iceache on Nov 11, 2011, 01:39 AM

Yeah, we only THOUGHT  that White Pony had only "Back to School" and "The Boys Republic", then we were told  5 years later that Black Moon existed.

Self Titled has Lovers and XO
[/quote]

True, I forgot about "Black Moon".

Ves said "XO" is from the SNW days im pretty sure.