Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron§

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 14, 2011, 04:00 PM
Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Whats funny is when I first read some of the track listing for Diamond Eyes I imagined "976-Evil", "Sextape", and "Beauty School" as being *really* heavy dark songs and "Rocket Skates" as being a slower song. lol.

If only.

Ikr

Urantia23

Dec 12, 2004
Foro Sol
Mexico City, Mexico

from_musings

if they liked the song and thought it fitted with the rest of the songs - it had been on there.but apparently it failed on something since it got left out.

some reasons could be:

1) they liked the song itself, but didn't think it would suit the album's mood or the album's flow

2) they thought the song would suit the album's mood and that it would flow perfectly with the other songs, but they didn't like the song itself

3) they thought the song sucked and also didn't believe it fit the record anyway.

4) it fits the record ok and it's an ok song, but they wanted 11 tracks and liked the other ones better

5) they liked the song, thought it would go with the other tracks but thought it was too simple and banal for a deftones track.

6) the song's structure is stolen right off like knife prty was and they didn't want to be thieves on this record too

"they" can be deftones or the label. personally i think it's #1. excellent song,love it - even more than the first 4 songs - but no obvious place for it.
i really dig the tracklist.closer is a horrible idea, i think moana is their best closer ever: so sad and desperate, yet still so powerful and huge. perfect "the end" feel, something lovers dooesn't have at all. i've said it before, but opener could work.

why finger of death wasn't on snw is trickier.  the song is super awesome and is sooo much better than everything else on snw. also - and there's absolutley no album flow to speak of so it could be anywhere without affecting any song order at all.
perhaps snw was about to be something new and epic and dreamy and that fod was too typical for a deftones song and too dark for what they were going for.
just that they fucked up all of snw in the production

Vesanic

Haha, I was waiting for your word on that, musings.

deftoneseba

Quote from: defburn on Nov 15, 2011, 07:47 PM
06.04.07 ..... Coopé de Mai, Clermont Ferrand (w/ Will Haven) FRANCE
What a party! WHVN and Deftones together! Sadly, it was without Grady on vocals... But Jeff did a great job!
http://www.romastianboots.blogspot.com/
Go there for Deftones bootlegs trading.

nineteen

Friday 10th October 1997, with Far.
Nottingham Rock City, UK.

Chino did a guest slot on 'Seasick' by Far as much as I can remember and also crowd-surfed to the bar to get a drink.

pony_01

pinkmaggit

Quote from: Livewire on Nov 15, 2011, 11:04 AM

???????
I don't get it

Agree with you Musings, 'Moana' is a great song and a great closer.
It doesn't have the epic quality of 'Pink Maggit' but it's perfect to end the album regardless.
'Moana' doesn't get a lot of love on this forum but I think part of that is that if you're waiting for a 'Pink Maggit' moment you'll be dissapointed - different album, different mood, it needs to be enjoyed in it's own right.

'Finger of Death' is a track that does get a lot of love here - not surprisingly so.
It would have fitted so brilliantly on SNW!!!!!!
SNW does get dark in places and this would have just given it a little nudge into an overall darker feel for the album.
SNW is already very atmospheric and this track would have made it even more haunting.

Plenty of places it could be slotted in - I was thinking maybe between 'Beware' and 'Cherry Waves' or between 'Kimdracula' and 'Riviere'.
Would have been cool to have had 13 songs seeing as though the album was released on Halloween!
I think that SNW does have flow - it's just one of those albums though were the songs seem to sound good in any order.

Talking about flow I feel Diamond Eyes suffers from this problem more (even though Chino commented on how nicely it does flow) - the difference in the quality of the mix from 'Diamond Eyes' to 'Royal' for e.g. is very noticeable to my ears - I wish Chris Lord-Alge had just mixed the entire album!

976-EVIL

November 12, 1997.....Las Vegas, Nevada with Far
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

pinkmaggit

Quote from: Jacob on Nov 15, 2011, 12:12 PM
I don't know. what I do know is that it should've been on there instead of Lucky You. if any song doesn't fit, it's that one. plus, it's incredibly boring.

Don't agree with you there ,well at least not completely.
'Lucky You' needs to be listened to in context of the whole album - yeah you're probably right, it is a bit boring if listened to alone but I think that if you're listening to the whole album, it acts as kind of an intermission
and adds a bit of mood to the album.
I see it more as an intermission or 'atmosphere enhancer' than an actual song.

Juvenile - what don't you like about 'GMB'?  - I think it's an awesome song, to me there's a lot of emotion in that song.

pinkmaggit

Never been to one  :'(  :(  :'(  >:(  :-[  :'(
I'd love so much for them to come but I don't know if there's any chance of them coming to South Africa!!!!!
We've had a lot of bands recently like '30STM', 'Korn', 'Muse'   :-\ (none of which I really like), Chris Cornell   8)  (who was awesome and played a lot of Soundgarden classics, stuff from 'Louder than Love' and 'Badmotorfinger') - all of whom have sold out shows and had awesome experiences - there's definitely loads of people here who would love to see them (wish Deftones would read this).
We also have a few festivals that bring some of the big 'alternative' and 'rock' bands.
One of the most popular concert venues is literally within walking distance from my house - what I'd do to go to a Deftones concert at the end of my street!!!!!!
I'll be very pleased with myself for buying my house where I did!  ;D
If they don't come sooner or later, I'm going to make a trip to the U.S. to see them.

pinkmaggit

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 16, 2011, 10:22 PM
[HD] Deftones - 7 Words (Live in Jakarta 2011)

THIS!

What a performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn, Chino's sounding good!!!!
That scream at 0:48 - reminds me of why I think Chino's got the best scream of all time!!!!!!!

sing blue silver

this is the most unsexy thread i've ever seen BUT let it be known, I have found the ladies love crosses. as for deftones, throw on white pony and have at it.

skinnypuppy

you've never made love until you've done it with White Pony Instrumental.

One_Weak

this is random as shit but this is the Bullshit Thread, so I guess here's the best place to go

anyone have  clue on why "Korea" is, well, called "Korea"? here's my take:

among all their songs, Korea has always been the most ambiguous to me so far as the title is concerned. the lyrics themselves are more or less straightforward to me, but the title seems completely irrelevant. my first interpretation was that Chino wrote the song when they were partying in Korea, touring or whatever, or was reminiscing about a time there.

and then...I came across "chorea". yep, the nervous system disease/illness, defined as being 'characterized by jerky, involuntary movements, chiefly of the face and extremities.' this might be an analogical depiction of the high from cocaine, or just losing one's mind to the music. I dunno but I thought it was pretty possible, especially since they've named a song of theirs "Rickets".

...alright I'm done rambling  ;D
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

ignore the fashion

Cant remember the exact date at this moment but for me it was the Vans Warped Tour 1996 at the Olympic Veladrome.

pinkmaggit69

11/7/97  La Luna
Portland, Oregon
Openers:
Will Haven
Far

Drinks won't stain this birth!

E-Money

Im pretty sure it was in 03 on the Summer Sanatarium tour... It was at Texas Stadium and it wasn't a good show at all...

sooniletugo

I agree about Lucky You. I wouldn't switch any song on S/T for Lovers, as much as I like the song.

Martin