Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

some reasons could be:

1) they liked the song itself, but didn't think it would suit the album's mood or the album's flow

2) they thought the song would suit the album's mood and that it would flow perfectly with the other songs, but they didn't like the song itself

3) they thought the song sucked and also didn't believe it fit the record anyway.

4) it fits the record ok and it's an ok song, but they wanted 11 tracks and liked the other ones better

5) they liked the song, thought it would go with the other tracks but thought it was too simple and banal for a deftones track.

6) the song's structure is stolen right off like knife prty was and they didn't want to be thieves on this record too

"they" can be deftones or the label. personally i think it's #1. excellent song,love it - even more than the first 4 songs - but no obvious place for it.
i really dig the tracklist.closer is a horrible idea, i think moana is their best closer ever: so sad and desperate, yet still so powerful and huge. perfect "the end" feel, something lovers dooesn't have at all. i've said it before, but opener could work.

why finger of death wasn't on snw is trickier.  the song is super awesome and is sooo much better than everything else on snw. also - and there's absolutley no album flow to speak of so it could be anywhere without affecting any song order at all.
perhaps snw was about to be something new and epic and dreamy and that fod was too typical for a deftones song and too dark for what they were going for.
just that they fucked up all of snw in the production
[/quote]You my man r so right! I think Moana is perfect as a closer and for some reason is a disappointment to everyone!?!?!? WTF? And yes FOD does overshgadow most of SNW!!! Tho I love that record.... Imagine if the rest were up there with FOD?
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Electron§

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Nov 18, 2011, 03:55 AM

You my man r so right! I think Moana is perfect as a closer and for some reason is a disappointment to everyone!?!?!? WTF? And yes FOD does overshgadow most of SNW!!! Tho I love that record.... Imagine if the rest were up there with FOD?

The only reason "Moana" is bad as an album closer is because compare it with "Pink Maggit", "Fireal" and "Fist", or "MX" and "Damone". Those songs are so powerful, and "Moana" just feels kind of like a standard song, not a *finale*, even though its still good. I honestly feel the only reason "Lovers" as well wouldn't be a good closer is because it and "Moana" dont seem like they should be next to each other in order, (if "Lovers" was the final track and "Moana" was the before last).

Also, there was 14 tracks originally created for S/T before they mixed it. I really, really, REALLY want to listen to those extra tracks.

One_Weak

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 17, 2011, 06:23 PM
Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 17, 2011, 04:17 AM
Chino wrote the song when they were partying in Korea, touring or whatever

Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 17, 2011, 04:17 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Korea was called Korea because, like you said, it was about their partying in Korea or whatever.

korea is written like in 1999,and named "korea" in 2000 (it was called white pony in the first tracklist i've got) And their first tour in korea (south korea) was in 2009 i believe. so how could they name a song about partying in korea when they hadn't been there? they went there on vacation in the 90's?

I like how you began the quote AFTER the bit where I said "my first INTERPRETATION was that". yeah.
thanks for the info though.
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

One_Weak

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Nov 17, 2011, 05:42 PM
Rocket Skates is the weirdest title in my opinion. Or Bloody Cape. I don't know, I think sometimes they just think up weird and random titles without a meaning that links to the song, like Kimdracula. But I thought I read somewhere that Korea was called Korea because, like you said, it was about their partying in Korea or whatever.

Rocket Skates is pretty much like saying they're having a blast (wow that sounds lame) or everything's so crazy and fast it's like they're on rocket skates. I dunno I kinda like that title (ambivalent on the song though). I do agree with Bloody Cape though, in fact with that whole song. And I only assume Kimdracula was named after the female subject's name being Kim and the fact that she sucked him dry. ha. I have no idea.

love it though
Biggest Musical revelation in my life so far: Deftones indulgence in August 2010 thanks to Diamond Eyes album (despite faves being Adrenaline & ATF). Been obsessed ever since. First concert for them in Baltimore 5/17, fucking aweso\m/e

Inkblades

Riff-wise it sounds sort of similar to Battle-Axe. I mean, they aren't identical or anything, but that might have been their thinking in leaving it off.

Electron§

Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 18, 2011, 04:25 AM
Rocket Skates is the weirdest title in my opinion. Or Bloody Cape. I don't know, I think sometimes they just think up weird and random titles without a meaning that links to the song, like Kimdracula. But I thought I read somewhere that Korea was called Korea because, like you said, it was about their partying in Korea or whatever.

Rocket Skates is pretty much like saying they're having a blast (wow that sounds lame) or everything's so crazy and fast it's like they're on rocket skates. I dunno I kinda like that title (ambivalent on the song though). I do agree with Bloody Cape though, in fact with that whole song. And I only assume Kimdracula was named after the female subject's name being Kim and the fact that she sucked him dry. ha. I have no idea.

love it though

"Bloody Cape" is a hard song to decipher. Its title alludes to superheros, it talks about the sea at first, then he starts talking about a carnival. WHAT THE FUCK.

On the "Kimdracula" thing, that is actually a hilarious way to think of it.

Electron§

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 18, 2011, 05:34 AM
Riff-wise it sounds sort of similar to Battle-Axe. I mean, they aren't identical or anything, but that might have been their thinking in leaving it off.

I did actually notice the similarity in the effects and Chino's vocal style.

from_musings

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 18, 2011, 05:34 AM

yes the verses are quite similar . i think you nailed it

from_musings

Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 18, 2011, 04:21 AM
I like how you began the quote AFTER the bit where I said "my first INTERPRETATION was that".

yeah i like that too

BillyNo.9

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 18, 2011, 06:16 AM

love it though

"Bloody Cape" is a hard song to decipher. Its title alludes to superheros, it talks about the sea at first, then he starts talking about a carnival. WHAT THE FUCK.

Think I read on here somewhere that Bloody Cape was the name given to an assassin in the roman times or something, I know that the Octavian quote under the lyrics in teh booklet has some significance.

Electron§

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Nov 18, 2011, 07:09 PM

love it though

Think I read on here somewhere that Bloody Cape was the name given to an assassin in the roman times or something, I know that the Octavian quote under the lyrics in teh booklet has some significance.

I think you may be correct.

dictatesofreason

from_musings

my girlfriend likes prodigy and i like deftones so we usually have our walkmans during the act

One_Weak

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 19, 2011, 06:51 AM
Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Nov 18, 2011, 07:09 PM

love it though

I think you may be correct.

blowin my miiiiiiind bro  :o

pony_01

Quote from: Jacob on Nov 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
I don't know. what I do know is that it should've been on there instead of Lucky You. if any song doesn't fit, it's that one. plus, it's incredibly boring.

tip for listen to Lucky You:
try to play it on a big phat stereo. this song will take you to a trip

Electron§

Self titled seems to have a sort of theme of greek and roman myth and stuff like that. Were just finding more. Bloody Cape, Minerva, etc.

BillyNo.9

Don't take my word for it man, It's just something I read somewhere a couple of times

One_Weak

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Nov 20, 2011, 03:07 AM
Don't take my word for it man, It's just something I read somewhere a couple of times

hmm very interesting

something else I heard about is it's a reference to a cape (ocean-wise), seeing as how he talks about ships and whatnot

then again he also mentions a fucking carnival lol so who knows

BillyNo.9

Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 20, 2011, 03:32 AM

hmm very interesting

something else I heard about is it's a reference to a cape (ocean-wise), seeing as how he talks about ships and whatnot

Carnival might not be meant in the literal sense. Maybe like a spectacle or something?
I've always think about Chi when I listen to the song, the part about the ships reminds me of an interview where he explained how his grandfather got on a ship to america with only a few dollars to his name.

One_Weak

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Nov 20, 2011, 03:49 AM
Quote from: One_Weak on Nov 20, 2011, 03:32 AM

hmm very interesting

Carnival might not be meant in the literal sense. Maybe like a spectacle or something?
I've always think about Chi when I listen to the song, the part about the ships reminds me of an interview where he explained how his grandfather got on a ship to america with only a few dollars to his name.

yeah I was thinking about that too, it not being literal. this is Deftones afterall right? lol
and that's interesting, I hadn't heard that before. will definitely give me a new outlook when I listen to it from now on