Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hole-in-the-earth

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 06, 2012, 07:03 AM
I apologize for giving in to some bullshit in other posts and filling up space with more bullshit but tried to get a couple things clear with someone in particular as of lately. This is an honest apology as I don't want to be the problem child around here, basically here for good news and conversation. This to me was the proper place for this at the time. Nuff said I hope, peace to all and thank you to everyone with an open ear and mind and those especially who contribute material and the like. Thanks :) And thanks for having me especially. If I'm too "into" the band, sorry again but not really ;D, I have high hopes for this group of musicians and don't have a lot of time or space in my life outside of work and family life to be passionate about much and this band fills a lot of that along with a couple other activities like ice hockey, fishing and beating off to song names and previous records, jk....... Back to normal here, haha

Whoops, same. :P

Vesanic

When they play Passenger, I think it's a shame Frank never plays the piano notes. Adds a lot to the atmosphere on the record even if it's a very little section, I feel there's something missing when they play it and the piano is not there.

from_musings

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 06, 2012, 07:03 AM
this band fills a lot of that along with a couple other activities like ice hockey, fishing and beating off to song names and previous records

LOOL

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 06, 2012, 03:25 PM
When they play Passenger, I think it's a shame Frank never plays the piano notes. Adds a lot to the atmosphere on the record even if it's a very little section, I feel there's something missing when they play it and the piano is not there.

agree... adding stuff live is often cooler than stripping down songs, at least when it comes to deftones

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 06, 2012, 03:25 PM

agree... adding stuff live is often cooler than stripping down songs, at least when it comes to deftones
Either Beware or HITE they did live and it was really trippy and totally diff from original...can't remember which but perfect example of what you're saying
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

hole-in-the-earth

Pretty sure it was Beware

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

could be, was bad as fuck though!!! 8) Should write for records that way!

hole-in-the-earth

Is there  a picture or Chino Moreno's son? I kinda want to see what he looks like... Cuz right now all I can picture is that fat kid from the movie UP (Especially looks like Chino from the SNW era.)

jbmp1390

He shows some pics of Jacoby in some interviews of around the fur time. There's also a vid floating around of them in a radio interview with a few of their kids. But just stick to the music dude. Their kids are their business. And yes I see the slight irony in my post.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

hole-in-the-earth

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Apr 07, 2012, 05:42 AM
He shows some pics of Jacoby in some interviews of around the fur time. There's also a vid floating around of them in a radio interview with a few of their kids. But just stick to the music dude. Their kids are their business. And yes I see the slight irony in my post.

Yeah, I just saw this live performance with him and Chino singing together during their last tour. He seems like a pretty cool dude if I ever saw one
But yeah, you're right, just a random question that popped into my mind.

jbmp1390

Quote from: hole-in-the-earth on Apr 07, 2012, 05:57 AM
Quote from: jbmp1390 on Apr 07, 2012, 05:42 AM

Yeah, I just saw this live performance with him and Chino singing together during their last tour. He seems like a pretty cool dude if I ever saw one
But yeah, you're right, just a random question that popped into my mind.
I feel you, his son looks a lot like him that's for sure. I've just always enjoyed the way they manage to keep their family lives so private. Not like they're the biggest band in the world, but in their business it's not easy to do.

Electron§

This kind of random, but I think the trick to Deftones apparent shifting *stylistic* choices, isn't really that there style is changing that much at all, but rather they use certain things like the album packaging or the production to kind of make it seem like there shapeshifting and evolving, when really I actually occasionally can momentarily forget which album one of their songs i'm hearing is on.... The only changes I really see though is Diamond Eyes.... It sounds radically different from pretty much everything else.... But If you listen to a lot of stuff from like.... "Around the Fur" to even some of the stuff we've heard from "Eros", it all pretty much sounds uniquely *Deftones* style, with a few songs thrown in the mix, or style changes to throw you off track.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: Electron§ on Apr 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
This kind of random, but I think the trick to Deftones apparent shifting *stylistic* choices, isn't really that there style is changing that much at all, but rather they use certain things like the album packaging or the production to kind of make it seem like there shapeshifting and evolving, when really I actually occasionally can momentarily forget which album one of their songs i'm hearing is on.... The only changes I really see though is Diamond Eyes.... It sounds radically different from pretty much everything else.... But If you listen to a lot of stuff from like.... "Around the Fur" to even some of the stuff we've heard from "Eros", it all pretty much sounds uniquely *Deftones* style, with a few songs thrown in the mix, or style changes to throw you off track.
So, should we assume you like all albums pretty much equally or at least dig something about each one and don't exclusively "hate" one record then? I feel that I love them all but they are sorta different to me in a way as they've grown older and musically. I feel they experiment especially the last few, more.  All seem to be themed in a way. It could be that they design it to work that way, most disagree, just wondering....

Electron§

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 09, 2012, 08:26 AM
So, should we assume you like all albums pretty much equally or at least dig something about each one and don't exclusively "hate" one record then? I feel that I love them all but they are sorta different to me in a way as they've grown older and musically. I feel they experiment especially the last few, more.  All seem to be themed in a way. It could be that they design it to work that way, most disagree, just wondering....

Pretty much, for me the only record that hasn't at at least one point absolutely moved me is "Diamond Eyes" its so weak, and only good for moments at a time. Pretty everything else actually made me feel varied emotions and attempt to interpret the layers to the songwriting itself at some point.... Except maybe "Around the Fur", but even that album I still love at certain times. (Self titled is the most perfect).

And I think you actually hit the nail on the head about what I was missing in this statement, the only change for me, is that you can kinda see them mature in their music. Its more like the style itself ages and matures, rather than ever really changes that much. And I myself think its designed to work that way. Even Steph did say something like each record could be a different point in someones life. It all depends on the instance of where you are and whats happening. So they do intentionally do make it seem like its changing....

jbmp1390

Quote from: Electron§ on Apr 09, 2012, 09:24 AM
Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 09, 2012, 08:26 AM

Pretty much, for me the only record that hasn't at at least one point absolutely moved me is "Diamond Eyes" its so weak, and only good for moments at a time. Pretty everything else actually made me feel varied emotions and attempt to interpret the layers to the songwriting itself at some point.... Except maybe "Around the Fur", but even that album I still love at certain times. (Self titled is the most perfect).

And I think you actually hit the nail on the head about what I was missing in this statement, the only change for me, is that you can kinda see them mature in their music. Its more like the style itself ages and matures, rather than ever really changes that much. And I myself think its designed to work that way. Even Steph did say something like each record could be a different point in someones life. It all depends on the instance of where you are and whats happening. So they do intentionally do make it seem like its changing....

Around The Fur is a masterpiece.

Electron§

I noticed some weird shit when I watched the self titled clips again:

1. The intro song in Chi's clip sounds like either a completely new song, or "Minerva" with different vocals, or maybe even both??  ??? Then at around 1:27, it sounds like "When Girls Telephone Boys" but with more "Adrenaline" style vocals and the effects Frank plays live clearly audible.
Deftones' self-titled album sessions: Chi

2. In Abe's clips intro, it sounds like "Minerva" has some kind of weird electronic beat over it. Then at the end Chino's vocals once again sound different from how we hear in the finished song.
Deftones' self-titled album sessions: Abe

3. In Franks video, Once again, "Minerva" with the strange beat and vocals similar to those heard at the end of Abe's clip. Deftones' self-titled album sessions: Frank

Am I just desperately seeking an undiscovered layer to the self titled record or do you guys actually hear this shit too?

It seems like self titled was originally supposed to be a much more electronic record, all these songs, we keep finding out, had much more effects to begin with than they ended up with.

Penicks

it's just different self-titled songs playing simultaneously

Robotsatemygrandma

Quote from: Electron§ on Apr 11, 2012, 04:56 PM

1. The intro song in Chi's clip sounds like either a completely new song, or "Minerva" with different vocals, or maybe even both??  ??? Then at around 1:27, it sounds like "When Girls Telephone Boys" but with more "Adrenaline" style vocals and the effects Frank plays live clearly audible.

2. In Abe's clips intro, it sounds like "Minerva" has some kind of weird electronic beat over it. Then at the end Chino's vocals once again sound different from how we hear in the finished song.

3. In Franks video, Once again, "Minerva" with the strange beat and vocals similar to those heard at the end of Abe's clip. Deftones' self-titled album sessions: Frank

Am I just desperately seeking an undiscovered layer to the self titled record or do you guys actually hear this shit too?

It seems like self titled was originally supposed to be a much more electronic record, all these songs, we keep finding out, had much more effects to begin with than they ended up with.

In one of the clips (forget which one) the sample used for the beginning of When Girls Telephone Boys is instead used for the beginning of Needles and Pins...

Electron§

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
it's just different self-titled songs playing simultaneously

Some of them don't sound like any of the songs at all, I know that you're correct in some instances, but for example the beat i'm hearing in the beginning sounds nothing like most likely would it could be, "Lucky You".

Quote from: Robotsatemygrandma on Apr 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
Quote from: Electron§ on Apr 11, 2012, 04:56 PM

In one of the clips (forget which one) the sample used for the beginning of When Girls Telephone Boys is instead used for the beginning of Needles and Pins...

I saw that, but I thought everyone already knew that so I didn't point it out. Its in Chino's clip btw, and in that clip he says he has to go get permission from someone to use that or something like that??

Electron§

EDIT: in the intro to Chi's clip, I think thats just a rehearsal of "Good Morning Beautiful" being played over "Minerva". The rest of the clips are still up in the air.