Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

svjchtr's albums of the "week"

Started by svjchtr, May 20, 2011, 09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svjchtr

Hey all. Been lurking here for a little while (over a year already?! man), and now yall have presented me with a relatively unobtrusive way to expose people to some tunes. Doubt I'll be doing this weekly or anything, but whatever :)

I'll start with a recent addiction: Midnight Menu by TOKiMONSTA (2010)

http://www.mediafire.com/?wsdahbxujgxm2so (320 kbps, except for the 15th track which is a crappy 128 - the album's only 14 tracks though, so I'm not sure where this uploader got #15 from? shrug)

Genre: Instrumental Hip-Hop, I guess?

TOKiMONSTA is part of the L.A. hip-hop beats/glitch hop/whatever the hell it's called scene that spawned (most notably) Flying Lotus. Listeners of Flying Lotus will almost certainly enjoy TOKiMONSTA, as they (along with the entire local scene) have a pretty similar sound, although toki's a bit smoother and less abstract.. Listeners of trip-hop and/or hip-hop may also enjoy this, depending on their specific tastes.

A couple sample tracks: (advice: turn volume knob clockwise) TOKiMONSTA - GambleTOKiMONSTA - Look-a-Like

if you want to make a purchase, you can buy some high quality downloads of this album and a couple of her EPs at http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=26283 - you can't go wrong buying any of her stuff. She just released a new EP, Creature Dreams, a day or two ago actually, and it's well worth the money.

Enjoy :)

bright lights, big city

that's a nice intro to the board, haha. I'm liking what I hear from her. Great beats, just good music to chiiiiill to.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Crazylegs

This sounds pretty tight! Very Bibio-ish.

E-Money

Tokimonsta is great!  Are you a Teebs fan as well? 

svjchtr

Quote from: E-Money on May 24, 2011, 07:19 AM
Tokimonsta is great!  Are you a Teebs fan as well? 

I am indeed! Teebs is sick :D

svjchtr

Microtron by pozvakowski.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0yenxymubvd

Genre: somewhere in that loud/awesome bleed between post-rock and post-metal

I was having a conversation about Isis and similar music with a Hungarian fellow a while ago, and he started preaching about a local band and telling me to try them out. I've been in that same goddamn position far too many times to have high expectations (usually ends in "dude, they're 'not bad'! now can we PLEASE talk about something else?!"), but I decided to click his link anyways just to shut him up. Pleasant surprise!

(for listeners of Russian Circles, Isis, Long Distance Calling, God is an Astronaut, Daturah, Caspian, etc etc. anyone who likes their post rock to come with some bite)

Pozvakowski - Jasa

(sound's a little fuzzy on that link but it should give yall an idea of what you're downloading when you click that link)

spitfire

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
This sounds pretty tight! Very Bibio-ish.
totally agree. i had this Autumn Heat Wave from them in my HDD for sometime but never payed attention. after hearing the album you posted gonna give another listen on that one. the album you posted is very nice, mellow, trip hopish and ambiental. cheers

svjchtr

Clubroot - Self-Titled (2009)

http://www.mediafire.com/?homnyjnwjkh

Genre: Dubstep, Ambient/IDM

For listeners of: Burial, Autechre, electronic downtempo/ambient stuff in general

If you, like me, tend to associate a bunch of distorted "wub wub" noises with the term "dubstep" and generally avoid the genre, you should try this shit out. It's technically dubstep, on account of having dubstep beats and all, but it's dubstep being used as a vehicle for some truly chill spaced-out ambient/idm style music. A couple sample tracks:

Clubroot - low pressure zone
Clubroot - Talisman

Starz

I bought that Clubroot album when it came out a few years ago, very Burial like. TOKiMONSTA is great btw, thanks for that.

lostpilot

svjchtr, you have a nice music taste. I'm checking Tokimonsta and Clubroot today because it seems like what I am looking for these days.
Electronica for ambient ears :)

bright lights, big city

I don't remember much from last night. I just know that I woke up with that Tokimonsta album playing on repeat. I don't get it.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

svjchtr

Quote from: lostpilot on Jun 12, 2011, 01:36 PM
svjchtr, you have a nice music taste. I'm checking Tokimonsta and Clubroot today because it seems like what I am looking for these days.
Electronica for ambient ears :)

Thanks, hope you like them

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
I don't remember much from last night. I just know that I woke up with that Tokimonsta album playing on repeat. I don't get it.
sounds like a good night :o

svjchtr

My plan with these is to pick semi-obscure albums that should probably have some appeal outside of the little niche of the music world that they come from. This isn't really about engorging my e-peen, I just kinda assume that most people on this board who'd be into Isis or Autechre or whatever will already have heard them blah blah. If anyone sees something on my last.fm that they're interested in, I can provide my opinion on where to start with them or whatever, but for now I'll stick to the "albums that should have a much larger audience than they do" strategy.

So this time, an album that's a bit more well-known, but nowhere near well-known enough:

Rossz Csillag Allat Született by Venetian Snares (2005)

http://www.mediafire.com/?adhzk1v0my2

Genre: Breakcore

This one's probably somewhere within my top 10 albums of the last decade list. Classical string sounds are complemented by hectic breakbeats.

Venetian Snares - Szamár Madár (Album version) (note: first 1:45 is an intro, so either be patient or skip ahead)

endstand

you have a great taste, man! ;)

(though I really like more Clubroot's second album than first, it's so deep and it makes me feel very strange.)
hello memory lover, you are mine

svjchtr

it was a tossup for me whether to post the first or second Clubroot album; they're about even in my book. which of course means that anyone who liked that Clubroot album should probably find the second Clubroot album as well :D

svjchtr

Rhode Island by Pelican City (2000)
Genre: Trip-Hop

https://rs176dt.rapidshare.com/#!download|176l33|411527330|P_C_Island_320.rar|89544|R~6E9FB78BD23B011229D5AD0203D713AA (320 kbps)

Danger Mouse recorded a couple solo albums under the moniker Pelican City back in 1999-2000. Instrumental downtempo trip-hop, very beatsy, and lots of piano/strings. Really quiet/contemplative stuff for the most part, and it's all impossibly smooth. Possibly the chillest music I've ever heard.

Enjoy:

Pelican City - Sesame Street

(note: the other Pelican City album is called The Chilling Effect. well worth picking up if you enjoy Rhode Island)

svjchtr

夢中夢 (Mutyumu) - イリヤ/ilya (2008)

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ytptpbz3gyb03dc (320 kbps)

Genre: avantpostrockclassicaljazzmetal imo (it's not j-pop i swear!)

夢中夢 (Mutyumu is I guess how it's written when it's not in crazy japanese symbols, and works well enough for googling) is a Japanese experimental postrock/avantgarde metal group. They play what I guess I'd primarily describe as some sort of classical/postrock concoction, but the primary vocals are female operatic vocals, and they occasionally breach the realm of avantgarde metal. The end result is music that is often very beautiful and incredibly epic, and blah blah I should just link a track before I scare everyone the fuck away (probably too late :B)

Aggro:
Mutyumu- ドクサの海の悪棲- Ilya
Slow buildup:
Mutyumu - 塵に過ぎない僕は塵に返る

tarkil

You got me curious with all this, and I love the fact that you're posting 320 kpbs mp3...
I'm downloading all this, and will check it out in the coming days...

Cheers man !

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

bright lights, big city

wow that Mutyumu is impressive
DERP

svjchtr

Sup yall. Was afk for a few months but I still lurk here :)

Screen Vinyl Image - Interceptors
Genres: Shoegaze, Noise

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?emwqymyhnhm (VBR, best I could find :()

For listeners of... shoegaze! A Place to Bury Strangers and Skywave are pretty similar; M83 fans may also enjoy some of the stuff on this one. Only recently started exploring this stuff myself so I'm not too sure :). Kind of a dark-sounding album with a significant electronic component.

Screen Vinyl Image - Slipping Away

cheers duders