Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

London riots

Started by tarkil, Aug 09, 2011, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarkil

Hey fellow londoners,

Any first hand testimony about what's happening at the moment ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Penicks

theis

Wow...that video.

The lowest of low...absolute SCUM. Just fucking kill those rodents.

UGH...

spitfire

fucking cunts in that video, tear gas and rubbet bullets for those fuckers. bloody animals.

Starz

Yeah of course they're all black in that Daily Mail link. That newspaper is renowned for it's right wing views. But the guy who actually robbed the injured boy was white so we can't go around saying it's all these urban and ethnic minorities that are rioting and looting etc as clearly it's not. Scum of the earth come in all colours and backgrounds.

The majority of these people are causing trouble for the sake of causing trouble but there is I think, an underlying issue here that we the people have had enough of the ever increasing prices of consumer goods and the fear of another recession hitting Europe and this country. The little people get the brunt of these issues as always but unfortunately it's also seen as an excuse to cause out right chaos. It is arguable that the UK is one of the most diverse, multicultural and advanced nations anywhere on earth. Yet these problems still persist. We have a benefit system that pays even those unable to get a job, it is generous. Tell me, what more can we do?

bright lights, big city

I'm waiting for something to break the camel's back here in the US.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

downtownpony

Hopefully if there is a riot here in the US it'll be about something a little more important.

downtownpony

It seems the rioters have been using twitter to coordinate. They're just giving government another reason to crack down on internet privacy.

Starz

Quote from: downtownpony on Aug 09, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hopefully if there is a riot here in the US it'll be about something a little more important.

It's easy to dismiss the rioters as "scum with nothing better to do" but there are much deeper problems here. These kids rioting don't see themselves having a future at all. They have been failed by society as a whole, they've been failed by the government cutting arts funding and closing youth centres, unemployment is rife to the point where even the ones desperately trying to seek work simply can't find it, and the boiling point to all this (Mark Duggan events) is a situation that is VERY REAL.

We live in pretty desperate times as a whole, and the inner city youth are at the bottom of the barrel. So whilst this behaviour IS disgusting, try and have some compassion and relate to fellow human beings who literally feel hopeless and don't see a way out. When you think about, the right emotion to feel in some of the cases is just sadness and pity - kids robbing a flat screen TV when they see an opportunity to... because they know they'll never be able to afford it. Is a kid robbing some trainers that different to a corrupt politician fiddling the expenses accounts, or corrupt policemen and journalists taking bribes (as we've seen in the phone-hacking scandals?). So what kind of example are those people setting?

downtownpony

Quote from: Starz on Aug 09, 2011, 04:50 PM
Quote from: downtownpony on Aug 09, 2011, 04:00 PM

It's easy to dismiss the rioters as "scum with nothing better to do" but there are much deeper problems here. These kids rioting don't see themselves having a future at all. They have been failed by society as a whole, they've been failed by the government cutting arts funding and closing youth centres, unemployment is rife to the point where even the ones desperately trying to seek work simply can't find it, and the boiling point to all this (Mark Duggan events) is a situation that is VERY REAL.

We live in pretty desperate times as a whole, and the inner city youth are at the bottom of the barrel. So whilst this behaviour IS disgusting, try and have some compassion and relate to fellow human beings who literally feel hopeless and don't see a way out. When you think about, the right emotion to feel in some of the cases is just sadness and pity - kids robbing a flat screen TV when they see an opportunity to... because they know they'll never be able to afford it. Is a kid robbing some trainers that different to a corrupt politician fiddling the expenses accounts, or corrupt policemen and journalists taking bribes (as we've seen in the phone-hacking scandals?). So what kind of example are those people setting?

I just think they are wasting their energy, if they are angry at the politicians than they should go after them, and demand change, or else the riots will continue. From what I can tell the only things they care about are getting their flat screens, and setting cars on fire. It's accomplishing nothing.

Jacob

I don't really think there are any excuses for this sort of behaviour. fine, it can explain WHY it's happening. but they're supposed to live in a democracy and should act the part. I know it can feel frustrating looking at it that way, but if they really want to make a change they can do so with legal means.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

alvarezbassist17

It's an interesting foreshadowing for what's going to happen in America when we officially can't afford the freebies and handouts and our inflation catches up with us. I hope we can behave more maturely  ::)

BillyNo.9

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Aug 09, 2011, 07:51 PM
It's an interesting foreshadowing for what's going to happen in America when we officially can't afford the freebies and handouts and our inflation catches up with us. I hope we can behave more maturely  ::)

Haha yeah right, in a country where guns are easily accessible. Shit's gonna be like Y2K again.  Anyone ho thinks these people have due cause to riot is not looking at the bigger picture. These copy cat outbreaks are just opportunism. I live in a shitty council run area too and this shit would be happening here too if  all our shops were in one place, the only reason it hasn't broke out here yet is because people are too lazy to run around the whole city stealing shit. This is not a racist pun in any way but it's a case of monkey see, monkey do.

The police are not to blame because the poor bastards have to wait around for permission to act just incase there is something potentially more dangerous or violent going on somewhere else in the cities. The government here is bullshit yes, but most of these vandals don't know the first thing about politics. They are relying on the fact that people will believe them when they say "WE'RE MAD AT THE GOVERNMENT CUZ OF TAXES!"  seeing as the country is under a lot of criticism from pretty much everyone, they're allowing these thugs to use it as a scapegoat. I've encountered many people like those in these riots and they are the worst sort of people. Whatever problems they have in life ( poverty, broken homes, drug problems ) they'll take it out on you and try to make it your fault.

defsteve

Lawless, lazy, benefit scrounging, fucking layabout scum. Imagine trying to get those cunts to pay $5 for the Crosses EP. Haha!

Kicked off a little in Liverpool last night. Drove home from work at 4am past a burnt out van. All jumping on the fucking bandwagon because some twat drug dealer was shot by the police in London.

Fucking idiots!

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

BillyNo.9

At least NWA had a point. I think the fact that we have seen no police action towards these minorities proves they are not targeted. British police are really tolerant.

Jerry_Curls

.^ to me, this proves something totally different...police were told to stand down...no action to help stop the riots. There was even knowledge beforehand yet they did nothing . This is to instill fear into the public that is watching.

I also agree with what downtownpony said about "cracking down" on internet privacy.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

bright lights, big city

ain't got nuttin' on LA, '92.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

spitfire

wheres Chuck Norris when you need him!that is the question. bet he would bitchslap all those twats and sort this out in less than 24 hours. someone get him on a plain asap!!!