Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Pukkelpop officially cancelled.

Started by Vesanic, Aug 18, 2011, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

Extremely bad weather all over the country caused a disaster on the festival site, from which we count one death and several severely harmed people. From what I've read, big screens fell and certain stages tents flew away. Floods and storms also interrupted the train trafic and Bruxelles is severely touched. Tonight's Pukkelpop concerts are cancelled and we don't know yet if this year's edition will continue but an announcement regarding this is expected on their website in the next couple of hours.

More infos can be found in these Belgian articles (if you speak any French, that is):

http://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/detail_orages-un-morts-et-des-blesses-au-pukkelpop?id=6610923

http://www.lesoir.be/actualite/belgique/2011-08-18/apocalypse-sur-le-pukkelpop-6-morts-857309.php

Pukkelpop 2011

La Democraat

Man that sucks. Lot of collapsing stages lately...

Vesanic

Now authorities mention 2 dead people and 40 injured.

spitfire

Quote from: La Democraat on Aug 18, 2011, 06:47 PM
Man that sucks. Lot of collapsing stages lately...
its the so called "stage revenge". spoke stage defender said:"we had enough of you people getting up stage, its the time for stage to get up people."

poofing acid

2 dead and 2 stages collapsed is what I read earlier.... USA wins again.

Longstem

Hey,

Latest  news regarding festival :

4 dead
10 severe injured
60 minor injured

All shows cancelled for tonight. The festival shall continue tomorrow with a limited line up (since several stages are damaged and cannot be repaired during this night)

I assume some bands (like Deftones) will cancel.
Here's a link with an update of artists and their reaction on the tragic events :
http://www.stubru.be/media/artiestenreagerenviatwitteropramp

Still no word out of the Deftones camp...

I was suppose the leave but Im waiting for more news...
its a sad day for one of the best fetivals in the world. Im a visitor since 1998 and never had any issue during the festival. This is beyond sadness.

My respect goes out to the families of victims and to the Pukkelpopcrew in those difficult times.

Vesanic

Hell... Like Pukkelpop didn't have enough with what happened last year.

Longstem

Quote from: Longstem on Aug 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hey,

Latest  news regarding festival :

4 dead
10 severe injured
60 minor injured

All shows cancelled for tonight. The festival shall continue tomorrow with a limited line up (since several stages are damaged and cannot be repaired during this night)

I assume some bands (like Deftones) will cancel.
Here's a link with an update of artists and their reaction on the tragic events :
http://www.stubru.be/media/artiestenreagerenviatwitteropramp

Still no word out of the Deftones camp...

I was suppose the leave but Im waiting for more news...
its a sad day for one of the best fetivals in the world. Im a visitor since 1998 and never had any issue during the festival. This is beyond sadness.

My respect goes out to the families of victims and to the Pukkelpopcrew in those difficult times.

ITS OVER !! The festival is cancelled.
The Pukkelpopcrew has made this very very difficult decision.
They ask everybody (atm 60 000 people) to leave the campingsite with respect and serenity.

No DEFTONES tonight.

5 casualties injured dead
35 severe injured

Pukkelpop will never be the same again.

Official statement by Deftones :
http://twitter.com/#!/deftonesband

Vesanic

Terrible time for the country...

Penicks

i fear this was the last pukkelpop

from_musings

i don't know much about pukkelpop. when i think of it i think of awesome performances of teething and wgtb and pink hats

Vesanic

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 19, 2011, 11:24 AM
i don't know much about pukkelpop. when i think of it i think of awesome performances of teething and wgtb and pink hats

That's Pinkpop...

from_musings

Quote from: from_musings on Aug 19, 2011, 11:24 AM

fixed!

bright lights, big city

Just found out the Smith Westerns were supposedly playing when the stage collapsed. Love that band, hope they're alright.

And supposedly part of the storms was a landspout? Holy fuck, that's some scary shit.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

La Democraat

Quote from: Penicks on Aug 19, 2011, 11:15 AM
i fear this was the last pukkelpop

I don't think so, Roskilde is still held every year eventhough nine people died there in 2000.

bright lights, big city

But that was 11 years ago. Today, everyone is just a bunch of pussies.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Longstem

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 19, 2011, 07:59 PM
But that was 11 years ago. Today, everyone is just a bunch of pussies.

if this is a joke : not funny.

Its a tragedy in Belgium, especially for the belgian festival scene.
Pukkelpop is one of the most respected festivals and they deserve our deepest respect for the very very hard decision they had to make. My thoughts are with the victims who lost their lives in this tragedy but in this case the organisation is and equal victim.

One thing is sure : the festival will never be the same. Even today the organisation was very unclear about the future and with the assurance and refund shit on the way it isnt going to be easy.

Deftones was supposed to play in 30minutes now... this is just a sad day.... :(

bright lights, big city

Kind of a joke. I know it's a tragedy, it's sucks that people died there. But I'm referring to the chatter of the festival being canceled forever. If it doesn't come back because one year someone commits suicide, then the next year a freak act of mother nature kills 4 more, in my opinion that would be quite lame.

Then again they haven't come out and said it's never occurring again.
DERP