Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What the original White Pony cover was inspired by? (Hum)

Started by DeemSleep, Sep 26, 2011, 01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mono

Tooootally!
I think it was commented in an interview of the guys.

skinnypuppy

wheresmysnare

from_musings

rock_n_frost

another stupid topic..

i love to come and write tho
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

skinnypuppy

Why is it stupid? Deftones are influenced by Hum. This is very interesting to me.

Vesanic

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Sep 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
Why is it stupid? Deftones are influenced by Hum. This is very interesting to me.

This.

Deftones-argentina

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Weird. I'm listening the the Hum album right now and came here on a whim only to find this thread.

pinkmaggit

They're both really good album covers.
I've never heard of Hum before - think I'll go and give them a listen

wheresmysnare

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
Quote from: wheresmysnare on Sep 26, 2011, 11:01 PM
should be called white horse really

or, a white pony on the cover

Woah, please, we're all excited here but lets not not go crazy.

Deftones-argentina

This is something none of you expected; a NEW hum song. It was played at a reunion show, and while not being brilliant, it still gives us hope to more hum releases.

Hum - Cloud City, Chicago

from_musings

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Oct 02, 2011, 09:57 AM

they call it white pony as a drug reference, but insted of having a white pony on the cover, they chose a fucking horse because it looks more elegant.wrongly mixing shit til it makes no sense. that always irritated me. for me it's like - if you think "white pony" shounds fucking cool as a title, then sorry you have to have a white pony on it too or no animal at all. this is the true cover

from_musings

so what do we got... first, this hum album cover on wp... then the chords in knife party - very similar to hum's little dipper... and the chords in digital bath are almost the same as smashing pumpkin's dahpne decends. the lyrics in korea "downtown pony work your pitch, got my teacher now carve your niche" is similair to helmet's tic "wearing slim down you carve your niche, lean smug back and work your pitch". sometimes i wonder a little over where the line between influence and theft is. white pony must be the deftones album where you see most of this stuff

downtownpony

Yeah. It's a bit disappointing, but at least a while back Chino or Steph owned up to the knife party rip off, instead of just waiting for most people to find out themselves. Chino also recommended that hum album in one of his interviews. Ice Ice Baby

wheresmysnare

Quote from: from_musings on Oct 04, 2011, 01:25 PM
Quote from: wheresmysnare on Oct 02, 2011, 09:57 AM

they call it white pony as a drug reference, but insted of having a white pony on the cover, they chose a fucking horse because it looks more elegant.wrongly mixing shit til it makes no sense. that always irritated me. for me it's like - if you think "white pony" shounds fucking cool as a title, then sorry you have to have a white pony on it too or no animal at all. this is the true cover

Stunning artwork there musings, what a mighty steed, i would proudly ride that into battle given the chance.

White Pony has a strong emphasis on style and yeah some of that style and lyrics (as you rightly mentioned helmet) are borrowed.

However, the whole thing ironically felt groundbreaking at the time and utterly original. I still love it and it'll probably always be my top deftones album. Long live the white pony/horse.

from_musings

Quote from: downtownpony on Oct 04, 2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah. It's a bit disappointing, but at least a while back Chino or Steph owned up to the knife party rip off, instead of just waiting for most people to find out themselves

yeah it's a little bit better (took a couple of years no?) however, just because you admit stealing a fish from a japanese guy at a fish stand doesn't mean that it's ok to steal fish. it's still wrong

from_musings

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Oct 04, 2011, 11:40 PM
Stunning artwork there musings, what a mighty steed, i would proudly ride that into battle given the chance.

White Pony has a strong emphasis on style and yeah some of that style and lyrics (as you rightly mentioned helmet) are borrowed.

However, the whole thing ironically felt groundbreaking at the time and utterly original. I still love it and it'll probably always be my top deftones album. Long live the white pony/horse.

yes it is a little bit ironic. thanks about the pony, wouldn't recommend riding it though, it looks a little cripple to me