Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

You've seen the butcher - acoustic cover

Started by Alex B, Oct 02, 2011, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex B

Hey folks!

I liked the Deftones' track "You've seen the butcher" so much that I recorded an acoustic cover of it and shot a little video clip just for fun. I posted it on Youtube.
If you want to listen to it, just click on the following link:

Alex' B. - You've seen the butcher (Deftones cover)

I hope you'll like it :)

pinkmaggit

Sorry I don't like it at all  :'(
I just hope that I'm able to erase this experience from my mind so that the next time I listen to this song (the Deftones version of course), I don't have a picture of you sliding your hands down into your pants and grinning.
Seriously man, that's a bit creepy, you need to leave that part out if you decide to redo this.
Try to make the video a bit more interesting.
At the moment it's just you throwing things around, looking like you've had your heart ripped out by someone.
Try to make it a bit more abstract, use some interesting images which don't include you (especially of you slipping your hands into your pants) and do something that's open to a bit of interpretation
Sorry man, but Deftones songs are notoriously difficult to cover.
You can hate me for telling you this but this is my honest opinion and even though you tell yourself that's what you really want, it's what you really need.
Don't feel too bad about it, I'm sure you can do a lot better.
Try to vary your voice a bit more, maybe add a bit more emotion to it. The part ''I want to watch the way you creep across my skull'' sounds a bit flat - you need to work on that.
I'd really like to see you give it another go and reposting it - I'm sure you can do it much better.

Alex B

Hi Pinkmaggit!

Thanks for your post. Don't worry I won't get mad :)
The video was kind of improvised and shot in one afternoon so I know it could have been much better. I would have preferred to include more people and more intersting images...But well,it was just a trip with a good friend of mine. Originally, I just wanted to post the song without a video so people could focus on the sound.
But you don't like the song either so the point is not only the video :)
Anyway, I consider your opinion as a piece of advice to improve myself rather than something bad (and that's why I'm thanking you). I will redo some vocal parts (and others) and see if it sounds better...

Thank you for your interest

pinkmaggit

Good sport - you took it well and that's exactly how you should look at.
Use it as constructive criticism and try it again.
You've got a good enough voice, I just think you could be using it a whole lot better.
Try to add a bit more contrast and more dynamics to it to it - think if how Chino does it, his voice often goes down to a whisper but please still just try to sound like yourself.
Think about what you're singing and maybe add a bit of vulnerability to it - at the moment you're trying to sound a bit like Josh Groban.
Don't overstretch, do what you're capable of. Maybe cut it up into sections and do a few different takes,
You don't necessarily need people in your video, add some images which give people something to think about.
I'd really like to see you try it again and see what you come up with