Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chino on " Poor Kids Radio " ?

Started by Vesanic, Oct 30, 2011, 03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron§

I highly doubt they think Eros sucks, I think Chino is the one that's really not wanting it to get released now, because from here out its really up to *him* to finish it completely, because as far as i know, all it needs is some more vocals and to be mastered, etc. and Chino seems like the type that unless he can finish his vocals right away on something he just says fuck it which is not giving me much hope.

Also, I dont really see how SNW is *that* unorthodox. Its one of Deftones lighter albums, but other than that, I dont see how its particularly strange compared to S/T or White Pony.

snw9

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 01, 2011, 10:45 AM
I highly doubt they think Eros sucks, I think Chino is the one that's really not wanting it to get released now, because from here out its really up to *him* to finish it completely, because as far as i know, all it needs is some more vocals and to be mastered, etc. and Chino seems like the type that unless he can finish his vocals right away on something he just says fuck it which is not giving me much hope.

Also, I dont really see how SNW is *that* unorthodox. Its one of Deftones lighter albums, but other than that, I dont see how its particularly strange compared to S/T or White Pony.

That is also a possibility too, that Chino is reluctant to finish the album. Its also because the album is sad and they're not in that mindset anymore to finish those songs but like Ive said in the past, all the production costs  that went into that record need to recovered (although future album sales may recover that investment) the record label will just make more money anyway so it has to be released whether they want to or not.

I think you need to re-listen to SNW carefully and you'll notice how unorthodox it is, compared to Self-titled. In terms of technical writing, ambient elements and recreating each song, so far it is.
Code: [Select]

pony_01

it's just an unfinished work. they are on top again and they dont want to release another record without the 'on-the-top'  mood. reworking eros is just like a "Meh" to them.
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

Electron§

Quote from: juvenile on Nov 01, 2011, 04:30 PM

I think you need to re-listen to SNW carefully and you'll notice how unorthodox it is, compared to Self-titled. In terms of technical writing, ambient elements and recreating each song, so far it is.

Listen to a riff like the one in "When Girls Telephone Boys" or "Needles and Pins" and then compare that to say "Kimdracula" or "Rats!Rats!Rats!". I think it sounds much more like something Chino would describe as *experimental*. I dont even really think the band thinks of SNW as their most experimental album in any way.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 01, 2011, 06:43 AM
Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Oct 31, 2011, 08:34 PM
Chino smoking again??? ???
nothing wrong with smoking weed
I agree, thought he was smoking a cig for some reason. Shoulda known....
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: pinkmaggit on Nov 01, 2011, 09:16 AM
I remember Chino did an interview when DE came out where he basically said that Deftones needed to release a great record in order to keep going and to grow or at least keep their fanbase.
He was basically implying that Deftones couldn't afford to release another album like SNW.
As great as SNW is, it's not exactly a lot of people's favourite Deftones album.

It really sounded to me like Chino thought that Eros possibly wasn't that great or perhaps that it was a little too unorthodox and might alienate fans.
He made it sound like DE was, if not a superior album in terms of quality, one that would please the fans and perhaps get them noticed by new fans.
Perhaps that's the reason Deftones aren't releasing Eros.
Maybe the material is similar to SNW in that it's more experimental and unorthodox, not that the songs sound the same.

Perhaps now that they're at the top of their game again, getting such good reviews for DE, they're reluctant to release it as they may view it as a step backwards in terms of the progress they made with DE.
Surely if the album really was really mindblowing, the record company would really be pressing them to release it, after-all a lot of money must have been spent to get it recorded and produced.
Also surely the band wouldn't just shelve (possibly completely now) material that would really make people take notice.
I just get the impression that the band is not as proud of the material as they are with the material on DE.

Perhaps they don't want us thinking that this album represents the band well but are reluctant to say it because it's obviously Chi's last work and trashing it would feel a little disrespectful to him.
If this is the case and they feel they don't want to release and promote it as a proper Deftones album/release, maybe they should make it available only for download.
I don't really care if it doesn't live up to expectations and all the hype it's garnered, I still want to hear it.

Even if it's terrible it won't tarnish my view of the band as we can obviously judge DE as being more the direction the band is taking, knowing that it was written and recorded after Eros.
It's in the past now, so even if it really sucks, it doesn't really matter.

By the way does anyone know which interview I'm talking about, maybe someone has a copy.It may be Rollin Stones but I'm not certain at all.

Man, I just don't know about that because why else would they post short tasty samples for us I believe every week or month at the time? I sensed a feeling of pride
among them then..... legit question, I'm really asking anyone. I mean "peep game!!!" - CHINO     And to Juvenille, wasn't it said by maybe V or someone that DE and Covers completed the deal with the label? I thought so but maybe not? U remember this?

snw9

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Nov 02, 2011, 01:09 AM
Quote from: pinkmaggit on Nov 01, 2011, 09:16 AM
I remember Chino did an interview when DE came out where he basically said that Deftones needed to release a great record in order to keep going and to grow or at least keep their fanbase.
He was basically implying that Deftones couldn't afford to release another album like SNW.
As great as SNW is, it's not exactly a lot of people's favourite Deftones album.

It really sounded to me like Chino thought that Eros possibly wasn't that great or perhaps that it was a little too unorthodox and might alienate fans.
He made it sound like DE was, if not a superior album in terms of quality, one that would please the fans and perhaps get them noticed by new fans.
Perhaps that's the reason Deftones aren't releasing Eros.
Maybe the material is similar to SNW in that it's more experimental and unorthodox, not that the songs sound the same.

Perhaps now that they're at the top of their game again, getting such good reviews for DE, they're reluctant to release it as they may view it as a step backwards in terms of the progress they made with DE.
Surely if the album really was really mindblowing, the record company would really be pressing them to release it, after-all a lot of money must have been spent to get it recorded and produced.
Also surely the band wouldn't just shelve (possibly completely now) material that would really make people take notice.
I just get the impression that the band is not as proud of the material as they are with the material on DE.

Perhaps they don't want us thinking that this album represents the band well but are reluctant to say it because it's obviously Chi's last work and trashing it would feel a little disrespectful to him.
If this is the case and they feel they don't want to release and promote it as a proper Deftones album/release, maybe they should make it available only for download.
I don't really care if it doesn't live up to expectations and all the hype it's garnered, I still want to hear it.

Even if it's terrible it won't tarnish my view of the band as we can obviously judge DE as being more the direction the band is taking, knowing that it was written and recorded after Eros.
It's in the past now, so even if it really sucks, it doesn't really matter.

By the way does anyone know which interview I'm talking about, maybe someone has a copy.It may be Rollin Stones but I'm not certain at all.

Man, I just don't know about that because why else would they post short tasty samples for us I believe every week or month at the time? I sensed a feeling of pride
among them then..... legit question, I'm really asking anyone. I mean "peep game!!!" - CHINO     And to Juvenille, wasn't it said by maybe V or someone that DE and Covers completed the deal with the label? I thought so but maybe not? U remember this?

Eros was recorded under Reprise Records, technically they still own the recording unless ,if they're out of  the label and there is a clause in their contract which will let them keep the recordings which I HIGHLY doubt. I just trying to establish that we will see Eros one day, when is the question.

Electron§

Didnt Chino say that when they made S/T, they had signed a contract for only two more records on Maverick? So I thought they just produced SNW and Eros, and that's why they had Diamond Eyes on Reprise/Warner Bros. Guess I was wrong.

snw9

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 02, 2011, 06:28 AM
Didnt Chino say that when they made S/T, they had signed a contract for only two more records on Maverick? So I thought they just produced SNW and Eros, and that's why they had Diamond Eyes on Reprise/Warner Bros. Guess I was wrong.

B-Sides and Rariites would count as well too right?

There Will Be Blood

Electron§

Quote from: juvenile on Nov 02, 2011, 01:57 PM
Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 02, 2011, 06:28 AM

B-Sides and Rariites would count as well too right?

Maybe, I didn't even think of that.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

I'm pretty sure as well that they don't owe Eros to anyone but us!!! ;D Who knows?

mrpelon94

the other dude was B Real of Cypress Hill

from_musings

Quote from: kitesvera on Nov 01, 2011, 08:37 AM
Quote from: from_musings on Oct 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
just because melanie is similair to rats doesn't mean they made an entire record sounding like snw. after all that record wasn't exactly a hit. what eros snippet reminds you of snw? that intro sounds more like d.e's beauty school

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Oct 30, 2011, 11:09 PM
DE was made under special circumstances. I thought that'd be obvious.

yes they were under pressure. there's this theory that they used a lot of stuff from eros and polished it up with nick because there was no time. maybe that was what sergio heard. and maybe that's why deftones want to keep eros in the dark

Eros and Diamond Eyes are two completely different records. nothing recorded for Eros made it on to diamond eyes. that is fact. I wish people who do their research before making assumptions that deftones were just reusing previously recorded material on diamond eyes, i mean come on, they are NOT glassjaw...

no it's not "fact" it's something they've said.big difference right there. chino for example is known for being a compulsive liar throughout the years so i wouldn't use what he says as a 100% reliable source.
that said,i personally don't think d.e is reworked eros material i just said there are specualations,but i can't be 100% sure and neither can you. sure we can all have thoughts and ideas about it,but noone here has "facts" about it

ponyx

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Nov 02, 2011, 09:46 PM
the other dude was B Real of Cypress Hill
nah it was "Doug E Douche"

from_musings

this is what he said about eros in early 2010:

"Moreno had had issues with Eros, enjoying its experimental edge but fearing its songwriting was too untidy. He wanted to improve that on what would become their new album, Diamond Eyes. At least part of the reason for that was because he had come to a startling realisation.

"We needed to save our career," he says. "To be completely honest, I feel that if we had put out Eros, it could have been the end of our career. That's not because the record's terrible but we were still a little unfocussed and people could easily have written us off. In fact, I think a lot of people are on the fence with us at this point."
Why did he feel this about his band?
"I think our lacklustre attitude was showing. There were times I went onstage and, because of my weight, my health and the way I felt, I didn't want to go out there. I'd have been drinking and, because I was drunk, I wouldn't remember shit. I was just getting through it and that was it. I think people still expect a certain amount of quality from us and I don't think the Eros record had that essence and quality."    

http://www.tom-bryant.com/deftones-kerrang--tom-bryant.html

but like always, chino was talking more optimistic about the record when eros was the record that was going to be released. like the date says, this is said right before the d.e release so now he is in "promoting d.e" mode.

I do think he's right that many lost faith in the deftones at the time he's referring to though, but it was not only about his obesity and bad live shows , it was also about that snw was seen as a disappointment by many longtime fans. if snw had been a fantastic record, many would still have confidence in them, even though the live performances were bad. i'm sure he's aware of it, just don't want to piss on a certain record too much,

he's mixing and confusing things too much i think. "I was fat on stage and people expect quality. eros didn't have the quality."  
let's not confuse good music on records with good live energy too much. to be fit, jumping around on stage and be able to sing well on stage is one thing, to record an album with good quality material is another.

if snw was badass, people hadn't been on that fence. he was looking better at 2008 so if looking good is quality, by his way of looking at things - releasing eros wouldn't been the end to their career if he just showed entusiasm at the live shows

Electron§

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 04, 2011, 11:16 AM

this is what he said about eros in early 2010:

"Moreno had had issues with Eros, enjoying its experimental edge but fearing its songwriting was too untidy. He wanted to improve that on what would become their new album, Diamond Eyes. At least part of the reason for that was because he had come to a startling realisation.

"We needed to save our career," he says. "To be completely honest, I feel that if we had put out Eros, it could have been the end of our career. That's not because the record's terrible but we were still a little unfocussed and people could easily have written us off. In fact, I think a lot of people are on the fence with us at this point."
Why did he feel this about his band?
"I think our lacklustre attitude was showing. There were times I went onstage and, because of my weight, my health and the way I felt, I didn't want to go out there. I'd have been drinking and, because I was drunk, I wouldn't remember shit. I was just getting through it and that was it. I think people still expect a certain amount of quality from us and I don't think the Eros record had that essence and quality."    

http://www.tom-bryant.com/deftones-kerrang--tom-bryant.html

but like always, chino was talking more optimistic about the record when eros was the record that was going to be released. like the date says, this is said right before the d.e release so now he is in "promoting d.e" mode.

I do think he's right that many lost faith in the deftones at the time he's referring to though, but it was not only about his obesity and bad live shows , it was also about that snw was seen as a disappointment by many longtime fans. if snw had been a fantastic record, many would still have confidence in them, even though the live performances were bad. i'm sure he's aware of it, just don't want to piss on a certain record too much,

he's mixing and confusing things too much i think. "I was fat on stage and people expect quality. eros didn't have the quality."  
let's not confuse good music on records with good live energy too much. to be fit, jumping around on stage and be able to sing well on stage is one thing, to record an album with good quality material is another.

if snw was badass, people hadn't been on that fence. he was looking better at 2008 so if looking good is quality, by his way of looking at things - releasing eros wouldn't been the end to their career if he just showed entusiasm at the live shows

This is very confusing to me, it seems like nowadays Chino likes to acknowledge SNW as if hes unaware that it sounds disjointed and a few of the songs on it aren't very good. Yet, here, he says that because fans were disappointed in it, he seems scared that releasing Eros would be another record fans wouldn't like. Then he goes on to say that when they were about to record Eros, they had rediscovered their friendship and connections as a band, *then* he says he thought it was *too* strange!!!!!! Jesus Chino make up your mind. 

snw9

Dug out Vesanic's post from an old topic supporting Chino's statement about the end of their career by putting out Eros:

So, some of you know about YouTube channel. Deftones fans from every corner of the world talk to me, exchange informations, and shit.

That might be fake. I haven't got any proof of what the guy pretended but who knows ?

Here it is:

Hey, let me tell you a secret. I work for WMG!! I heard recently that Terry Date handed in their new CD. I`m figuring this was "eros". The head of WMG absolutely hated it!! Fucker!! I figure this was their last album under contract for WMG. So who knows if "eros will ever see the light of day. So now I think they will sign with Universal and put out this second album they've been talking about. We`ll see!! Just thought I`d share.

~Later~ "

I asked him back  " Dude... is that true ? "

Here's what he answered me:

Yeah a guy I know that is higher up than me told me cause he knows how much I like the deftones. He said deftones would still get paid for the album but doubts that it will be released. So I think this second album they did with Sergio will go to Universal. If you go to the deftones official website and go to the merchandise section at the very bottom you will see the Universal logo!! I only work security for WMG. But the guy I know actually works for the co. where they store all the master recordings from all the WMG artists. From deftones to Black Sabbath and Grateful Dead Greenday Linkin Park ect. ect. ect. I hope its not true but this dude has no reason to lie"

Electron§

Quote from: juvenile on Nov 08, 2011, 01:20 AM
Dug out Vesanic's post from an old topic supporting Chino's statement about the end of their career by putting out Eros:

So, some of you know about YouTube channel. Deftones fans from every corner of the world talk to me, exchange informations, and shit.

That might be fake. I haven't got any proof of what the guy pretended but who knows ?

Here it is:

Hey, let me tell you a secret. I work for WMG!! I heard recently that Terry Date handed in their new CD. I`m figuring this was "eros". The head of WMG absolutely hated it!! Fucker!! I figure this was their last album under contract for WMG. So who knows if "eros will ever see the light of day. So now I think they will sign with Universal and put out this second album they've been talking about. We`ll see!! Just thought I`d share.

~Later~ "

I asked him back  " Dude... is that true ? "

Here's what he answered me:

Yeah a guy I know that is higher up than me told me cause he knows how much I like the deftones. He said deftones would still get paid for the album but doubts that it will be released. So I think this second album they did with Sergio will go to Universal. If you go to the deftones official website and go to the merchandise section at the very bottom you will see the Universal logo!! I only work security for WMG. But the guy I know actually works for the co. where they store all the master recordings from all the WMG artists. From deftones to Black Sabbath and Grateful Dead Greenday Linkin Park ect. ect. ect. I hope its not true but this dude has no reason to lie"

Basically then, the guys at WMG scared Chino into not wanting to release it, because it was probably too experimental, if this is true. Sounds possible.

xToxin