Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Around the Fur demos tape: second recap (lol)

Started by Vesanic, Dec 16, 2011, 12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defburn

slyartwork

SHIT, I totally missed out on this.... I want to contribute as well, 20 bucks. How to pay, message me Vesanic....

Whoever gets the tape... Please make some good scans for me!
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

pinkmaggit

Quote from: Jesus2Chino on Dec 16, 2011, 06:36 AM
I think it was set up that way because if there was an indefinite number of people pitching in, it would have been an impossible effort to organize. Joking aside (i.e. the ''I'm feeling greedy'' comment), I'd be inclined not to share it out of respect for the people paying 5 or 6 times what I did. If at some point they decide they want to share, I'm all for it; if not, than I understand.

Much respect,
-Matt

Are you saying that  only a few select chosen few are allowed to chip in or can anyone on this site contribute?
I understand people are chipping in money and why should they have to give it away to someone who hasn't offered anything and just puts their hand out.
But honestly if you deny anyone who wants the tracks and is prepared to pay in, that's just  wrong and as a Deftones fan you are a disgrace.
Everyone here loves Deftones and if they're willing to contribute should be able to get a copy.

Please don't use the bullshit excuse of there being too many people to co-ordinate - as I see it now you guys need all the money you can get or you risk losing out to someone elses bid.
I don't think you should just give it away to someone who hasn't put money in, that wouldn't be fair as you had to put in money, why should they get it for free.
The solution is to tell anyone who wants a copy to pay a certain amount to Oneloveforchi if they want a copy and to make a small contribution towards whoever it is that will rip and send them the copy.
This is the most decent and fair way as it wouldn't be right to deny someone to get involved in the first place, only to make a profit out of a fellow Deftones fan and sharing lungs board user.
Remember there is such a thing as karma and you wouldn't want someone keeping something from you later down the line.

There is no excuse to deny anyone who wants to get a copy and who wants to contribute.
If you are going to be unfair and deny other Deftones fans the chance to here their favourite band, I   swear I will outbid you.

Sorry not trying to be a dick but give everyone who wants a copy a chance to participate a chance to contribute, either now, or if that's too messy, by paying onto oneloveforchi.

That way:

-noone profits out of fellow board users
-no deftones fan here is denied the chance to hear material from the band they love
-everyone has had to make a contribution

Matt - if you are involved with excluding fellow forum users from contributing towards the music they love, you should remove the 'much respect' from in front of your name because if you do that you obviously have no respect for others on this board who love Deftones.

Sorry, if I'm wrong and everyone is allowed to contribute then I applaude you, if not I stand by what I say

pinkmaggit

Sorry one last thing to add - why pay 50 dollars if you can spread the load a bit and end up paying only 10 dollars for the same thing, whilst at the same time making more Deftones fans on this site happier?

Jesus2Chino

No one was trying to make a profit off of anyone. The plan was never to sell the tracks, and that hadn't been discussed until your post. On top of that, I was never involved in organizing this effort, so don't aim your frustrations at me--I simply paid my $20 when the opportunity came.

From what I understand, the reason a cap was put on the number of people contributing was to prevent the logistical nightmare of sending funds back and forth between people. So say 10 people wanted to contribute $50 as was originally discussed, and all of those 10 people sent their money to V. He would then have the opening bid. Enter disgruntled person 11, who wants to pay his $50 as well, and V allows it. Now he has to send ~$4.50 back to everyone who contributed. Enter person 12. You get the idea.

I think your OneLoveForChi idea is a good one personally, but this whole thing was organized on the fly and as expeditiously as possible as to prevent the potential possibility of missing out on the chance to get the tape at all. As someone who merely contributed a minimum amount to the initial pot, I don't really feel like the call on what to do with the tracks after they're ripped is mine to make. As I said before, I have to respect the wishes of the guys who paid 5 or 6 times what I did for it, as I couldn't have paid that much.

Considering you clearly weren't fully aware of the situation at hand, you might not have wanted to get as personal as you did with your post. I have an enormous amount of respect for people in general, and that respect of course extends to everyone in the Deftones community. I know your comments were made before you completely understood what happened to this point, so I won't take any offense to them. I'm sure either V or the guy who found the tape originally and is now the top contributor will take into consideration your OneLoveForChi idea, as it sounds like a smart solution to this mess. There was never any need for the personal defaming, and stuff like this always works out better when you come from a completely constructive place. Anywho, thanks for the suggestions.

Much respect,
-Matt

Much respect,
-Matt

slyartwork

I don't understand how this whole thing turns out into these kind of discussions anyway. There was a plan, people joined... all good.

I hate forums so much cuz of these discussions. Anyway.... LETS GET THAT TAPE!
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

Vesanic

As Matt said, this was organized really fast. And people allowed to chip in were not selected in any other way than following the first-come, first-served rule. If I were one of you guys, having missed out on this, I wouldn't have complained, life's life.

About not sharing the tracks, I'm not the one behind this idea. As you probably know, I share stuff on this board all the time. I wouldn't have minded, really, but some other people here just don't want those tracks to get freely given away when they paid their balls for it.

On the other hand, that oneloveforchi idea is absolutely cool.

Penicks

Inkblades

After all, this place is called Sharing Lungs.

from_musings

at first there was a basic idea thrown out just to get ideas running, but that basic idea quickly turned into the plan,and now people have paid money for this plan and are counting on v to stick to it ( i would guess).  it's understandable that things get rushed when the excitement kicks in so enough about that.  to change this plan after people have paid money can be sensitive. however, now when more members have arrived and spoken their minds, personally the oneloveforchi idea sounds great. we all get the music and chi gets help (this is exactly the kind of stuff deftones and their crew should be doing with unreleased rare stuff).

so.. if everyone who has paid money so far, is ok with changing the idea from "first come first served" to the oneloveforchi idea (really up to them),
this change isn't too late? vesanic bids for the 499, hopefully gets it, and then donate the rest of the money (now when more people pays)
to 1lovechisite? (he probably should have something extra for the trouble at least i think so) or we donate to oneloveforchi right away, but maybe that's trickier to know who paid (only latest 12 donations shows on the site).   or.. we contact gina and make her put up the files on the site for download  :P   personally i trust v at not keeping the "overflow" for himself if this plan kicks in.

Bqad

LOL at this thread. I mean this tape would NOT have sold for $500 (now it most likely will from the group buy or someone disgruntled about the group buy paying more) and the seller would slowly but surely lower the price. I have seen many rare Deftones items up for sale from this dude over the years and he always starts them really high and as they go unsold, he lowers the price. When that would have happened, I probably would have paid him around $200 for this and I would distribute the tape freely to whoever the fuck wanted it as this tape is not taking any money away from the band. Oh well, fuck it, good luck I guess.

I also find it amusing that the guy paying $120 gets to keep the physical copy of the $500 tape. The whole thing is just kinda dumb to me.....person 1 gets the physical copy since he put down the most money. Person 2,3,4 and so on get a rip of it but they are all paying different prices. Just seems really stupid and person 1 gets away with a steal. I seriously am half tempted to just throw down a wad on this shit to own it myself and anyone who wants it can have a rip. I really don't have that much extra "fuck around money" at the moment but I may get a wild hair up my ass to just buy it.

I can say many other things about all this shit but I think I'll just stop as it's gonna be a further bitch fest from all of us. I don't post a whole lot but I've been around here for around 5 or 6 years and I appreciate all the LOLs many of you provide me especially many of the past hissy fits.

Edit - Also, did anyone see these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120825651394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1985wt_1037

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120825649935?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1985wt_1037

I unfortunately lost on both as I couldn't do my last second bidding due to work. These are in the same ballpark of rarity as the ATF demo tape (in quantity made, not content obviously). Hey Sly, did you win those? If I'm gonna lose a rare Deftones item to anyone, I'd want it to be you. You're about the only other Deftones fan I've came across that is as rabid of a collector as me.

poofing acid

Bqad

Quote from: poofing acid on Dec 18, 2011, 05:24 AM
Quote from: Bqad on Dec 18, 2011, 05:05 AM
LOL at my post, I totally understand what's up with the tape.

Oh that old quote someones post but add you're own edit trick. I never see those anymore.

poofing acid

Bqad

As long as you're making yourself laugh, I guess that's all that matters.

illthrowROCKS@U

So wait.. you mean all the people involved hastily agreed with not sharing with anyone else and continue to stick with that plan?  So the people with nothing to lose have no problem with letting everyone else miss out?  How odd...  ::)
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Derek79

blahx

I usually just lurk on here but bqad has a point, this is one of the stupidest things i've ever seen. Especially the people paying 50-100 dollars for someone else to own the demo tape. I really doubt anyone else is gonna waste 500 dollars on a deftones demo tape especially if it isnt linus or something equally rare.