Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS

Started by theis, Dec 23, 2011, 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
[spoiler]any theories on what the beginning Engineer was all about? Was that Earth he was on and then him introducing his DNA to our planet?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, something like that. He sacrificed himself to create life on Earth. At least that's what I got from it. [/spoiler]

TheShade1989

I thought it was decent, but not as good as I thought it'd be. Probably because it was very hyped up. I liked all the arrogance of ppl who loved it though, everyone was saying that the only ppl who dont like it are ppl who are too stupid to understand it. Gotta love different opinions. Also, the 3D was absolutely pathetic. I genuinely forgot I was watching it in 3D. Avatar and The Avengers are the only movies that I think had good 3D though, so maybe I just have the mind of an 80 yr old who's stuck in the past.

[spoiler]I dont have a clue why the Engineers wanted to destroy the world though, nor do I understand David. If he has no soul and no real emotion or desire, why did he wanna do everything he did? Seems mean to purposely let that dude become infected. I havent seen the Alien movies yet though, so someone said it's a similar thing in those movies, which means that presumably the sequel will answer those questions.[/spoiler]

from_musings

incredibly good looking film, a typical must be seen at the cinema film.[spoiler] I've always thought that the facehuggers have been one of the scariest monsters in any movies. to see one big as a truck were among the coolest I've ever experienced. even to see them as worms/babies was cool. if you view this with a critical eye - story,good or bad actors, do you like/care for the characters?do you understand why they're doing the stuff they do,or do you face palm at their decisions, etc. 5/10. rate by pure heart 9/10.  i loved it although the flaws. abortion scene was very well played. I guess the engineer that jumped in the water in the beginning was dropped off to start a new chain life on a planet (earth?), but was it the same black liquid he drank there that was in the vases in the cave? was the alien born in the last scene the queen alien in alien II? i should see it again. /rant[/spoiler]

bright lights, big city

Quote from: from_musings on Jun 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
incredibly good looking film, a typical must be seen at the cinema film.[spoiler] I've always thought that the facehuggers have been one of the scariest monsters in any movies. to see one big as a truck were among the coolest I've ever experienced. even to see them as worms/babies was cool. if you view this with a critical eye - story,good or bad actors, do you like/care for the characters?do you understand why they're doing the stuff they do,or do you face palm at their decisions, etc. 5/10. rate by pure heart 9/10.  i loved it although the flaws. abortion scene was very well played. I guess the engineer that jumped in the water in the beginning was dropped off to start a new chain life on a planet (earth?), but was it the same black liquid he drank there that was in the vases in the cave? was the alien born in the last scene the queen alien in alien II? i should see it again. /rant[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I could see it as the queen, but I'm not sure about that because they easily could have tied the movie to the beginning of Alien with the space jockey and the downed/crashed ship, but they didn't. But yeah, this is a rare occurrence where I'm letting a few plot cliches and flaws slide (Vickers' story and death seemed rather useless, Idris Elba with his random Louisiana accent, the 2 pilots immediately willing to die with the ship) because overall it was a rare summer blockbuster that was beautiful, awesome and dared to ask some big questions.[/spoiler]
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

from_musings

[spoiler] yes my queen alien question isn't so well thought out, just thought when the big facehugger was the "father" and when the "mother" was an engineer,the offspring could be larger and more important than than if it were a little face hugger and an ordinary simple human who got combined.nothing more.

yes all the people who are healthy do have a survival instinct. they dropped it pretty quickly, and stood and joked when they were about to die. It felt a bit unrealistic ^ die for a greater good - fine, but still you should be a little bit sad about dying. also,when they took their helmets off on another planet,they did it because they could,no other cause.it was a bit wtf. most people would probably wear them anyway, as protection. i know i would. lots of stuff like that... but it's all good, when i saw that choke movement from the facehugger baby, around the scientist's arm, and to recognize that movement from old alien movies-  when it hugs itself tight around the neck of humans to create aliens - for me stuff like that forgives all the other dumb stuff. and that's why i never should be a film critic
[/spoiler]

from_musings

Quote from: tarkil on Jun 14, 2012, 03:52 AM
I loved it, and am hoping for a sequel to understand a bit more about

[spoiler]the engineers, what killed them, what's with them wanting to destroy earth after giving it life, etc.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]in an alien 1 you can see a space jockey/engineer who died of a facehugger's job. letting us know that they are vulnerable to them. the black liquid seems to work in a lot of ways, but one way seems to be to mess with dna and change a life process ... it can be used to create a life chain (beginning of the movie), but also can be used to destroy life (the engineer is on its way to earth to ruin life in the end of the movie) the stone igloo in the film seems to be a warehouse where they store black liquid as a biological weapon, but also a lab where they are experimenting with it. maybe the black liquid came in contact with the small worms (which were zoomed in, in a shoe print) and got bigger and started to kill / be a threat to them - hence the reason they fled runnning. why they want us dead, i don't know..maybe they created life on another planet similair to planet earth and those people became a threat to them, so they wanted to kill us before we start messing with them. just speculating, i don't know shit[/spoiler]

bright lights, big city

DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

wither-I

worst piece of shit ever made. quite hilarious though! WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION DUHHH

"coming into the nearness of distance"

theis

Quote from: wither-I on Jun 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
worst piece of shit ever made.

Where's the "rolls eyes" smiley when I need it?

What an absolutely moronic statement.

rock_n_frost

Wow, im too late for the discussion. I was just clickin ''new replies''

He stands like he's peeing :p
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 19, 2012, 01:19 AM

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

from_musings

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Jun 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
He stands like he's peeing :p

yeah, gotta make room for the black liquid

from_musings

about this beginning.... they had traveled a long way for this important mission...shouldn't 1-2 other engineers be there with him and make sure that he really drank the liquid, watch him take the dive, and THEN take off in the spaceship? they were like "nah i'm gonna chill in here, you go by yourself".... "oh, watch him complete the mission? no i'm a little stressed out,gotta be home for my kid's birthday, can't wait 5 min, just go"   

that said, i got chills of the beginning.. the flying saucer was dope

lostpilot

I loooooved the movie.
3D looked great (well not all the time but it was pretty nice), visuals were great, all the "Alien"-like moments - perfect.
I was sitting there smiling throughout the whole movie.

And I don't really care that it is pretty much unreasonable, very "staged" (plot-wise) and did not fully carry it's own weight on the drama.
I loved it anyway.

from_musings

Quote from: lostpilot on Jun 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
I loooooved the movie.
3D looked great (well not all the time but it was pretty nice), visuals were great, all the "Alien"-like moments - perfect.
I was sitting there smiling throughout the whole movie.

And I don't really care that it is pretty much unreasonable, very "staged" (plot-wise) and did not fully carry it's own weight on the drama.
I loved it anyway.

well summarized.many seem to share this opinion here, awesome

Penicks

ridley completely dropped the ball on this. or missed the mark. lovely images though. but other than that this movie was quite worthless

from_musings

c/o writer damon lindelof (also creator of lost) said if you don't like this film, it's his fault

rock_n_frost

from_musings

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Jul 04, 2012, 11:50 AM
whos?

damon meant that it was damon's (his own) fault if the movie didn't turn out good. could be hollywood sucking up to ridley talk or that his "answer 3 questions but ask 6 more while doing so" storytelling could ruin it. i don't know just something he said

rock_n_frost

bright lights, big city

Don't know if I've said it here or not, but this was typical Lindelof. He was great stories, but have some plotholes. And the huge important questions he asks or touches on (like in Lost) makes it worth the ride and overcomes a couple minor story glitches for me. Loved this movie, still has me thinking about it 2 weeks after I saw it. That's impressive.
DERP